Home

TheSinner.net

Mrs Ross

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Mrs Ross

Postby underworlddreams on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I know it's probably been said before, but isn't she the scariest? Walking to the physics building at 8.30 in the morning is the least likely time you expect to be bombarded with leaflets, but no. I barely escaped with my heathen and damned life intact...
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I think it's entertaining that there's an old woman who thrusts her beliefs so enthusistically into your face that it doesn't feel wrong to tease her publicly.
Of the many excuses I've given her for not taking a leaflet, I think "No thanks, I worship Stalin!" has to be my favourite just for the confused look on her poor little face.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I know, it's strange... Anyone else I'd feel sorry for, but for some strange reason I don't appreciate proselytizers at all. Especially when they waste trees doing it...

Anyone read Terry Pratchett? Remind you of that Omnian in the City Guard?
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Saint Sal on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Private Visit-the-infidel-with-Explanatory Pamphlets? Oh, so does remind me of him, in a strange sort of way
Saint Sal

weeell.....

Postby babystrange on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

...I may be completely alone on this one, but I think that it's kind of nice that she can be bothered trying to save me. Most other people around here just try and put you down in the most clever way that they can...
babystrange

Re:

Postby the Player on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

It's not even that she offers you the chance to 'be saved' or read about her cult, it's the fact that she won't take no for an answer. She chased me down the street one day telling me I'd be going to hell just cos I said 'No thankyou'!
the Player

Re:

Postby Chris Satterley on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I saw a guy trying to explain to her that hell didn't exist, that was quite funny.
Chris Satterley

Re:

Postby anon on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Ditto! I know she means well but I can't help feeling that I HAVE TO take a leaflet! She's normally outside biology when we're coming out at 10am, but she must have got up earlier this morning or something.

Anyone else thinks she's like that lady with the doves in Home Alone 2?
anon

Re:

Postby James Baster on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Very Irnoic moment Friday morning outside Physics, when she walked up and preceded to flyer all the the campaigners who were waiting there with there bundles of leaflets. I think one guy give her one of his ...
James Baster

Re:

Postby monkeymadness on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I could imagine the scene now,

"Vote Rory! Go on you know it makes sense!", said by eager campaigner.

"Vote God, or you'll go to hell", Said by Mrs Ross.
monkeymadness

Re:

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Horrid flashbacks to the Fife Park/Gatty Marco Biagi flyer that was based on a Mrs Ross leaflet...

"You may think that you are saved, but you are NOT, you will burn in hell with all the other people who voted for the less stubbly candidates! Burn! Burn! Burrrrrrn!!"
Anonymous

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

So according to resident sociopathic OAP supreme omnipotent being is an elected position? Interesting.
Prophet Tenebrae

SPECIAL MRS ROSS FACT

Postby Robbie Collin on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

All the locals know her as 'Holy Hannah'. It's only the students who call her Mrs Ross.

But WHY?
Robbie Collin

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Is her name Hannah Ross by any chance?

The reason for most students calling her Mrs Ross is that it's usually printed in the Alternative Prospectus.
Printing her name as "Holy Hannah" might seem disrespectful.
Thackary

Re:

Postby bobbym on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Maybe this thread is dead in the water but hey I'm bored.
Does anyone else think that putting up with Mrs Ross'/ Holy Hannah's ecentricities is ok but that dam annoying bloke who stands opposite PM's on Market Street, shouting about how great Jesus was and how damned we are if we don't go and sing with him, is beyond the pale?

Why is St Andrews full of nut cases
Cos there is also that drunk who walks around town with the cider, walking stick and baseball cap amongest numerous others whom I can't be arsed to recall right now
bobbym

Re:

Postby Clonion on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

There was the guy at the procession who was preaching until the KK went past, when he was quiet....until one of the people in the KK, who had to shout 'heathen' at onlookers as part of his character, shouted at him.....he started preaching back.....was funny!!
Clonion

Re:

Postby Johnny196 on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I'm a non-believer/maybe-theres-something type o guy. Perhaps Mrs. Ross is annoying to many people, including me, but I think she deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, not just because elders deserve respect, but also because she believes in something. It is very rare to come across someone in britain who is so devoted to the well-being of their fellow man. Dont get me wrong, I aint a saint or a hippy type person. I do, however, respect those who try to better themselves and others regardless of wether I agree with them or not.
Johnny196

Re:

Postby Sebastian on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I do agree that people believing in something (be it christianity, anarchy or veganism) is a positive thing. However, I do object a bit to Mrs Ross', or anyone's, attempts to force other people to agree with them. Surely beliefs and ideals come through discussion, reading and intelligent thought, not having a pamphlet with You Will Burn in Hell written on it shoved at you at 9.30am when you're waiting to sit an exam.
Sebastian

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Tolerance - marvellous.

Singing at all hours of day and night in a public street - not so marvellous.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

It would be easier to respect said elders if they weren't crazy people. How many times has she (mrs. ross) told me I'm a sinner before I go into my exams?
Prophet Tenebrae

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board