Home

TheSinner.net

Unregistered Users

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Unregistered Users

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:10 pm

The unregistered user bashing drivel is getting pretty tiresome. Has it not occured to any of you that there are probably many people on here (myself included) who would register if they could. Unfortunatly, many of us have another few weeks left before we can get a university email address to register. There are so many people on this forum that are going to be first years that the ideas of banning unregistered users is a bit unnecessary. Can other usernames not be created, maybe slightly different to people with uni email addresses but would mean that people without uni email addresses can still register. Have the guest idea, maybe use a ucas number for people to register with.

Re:

Postby Buffy on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:22 pm

They used to give out guest accounts before you register (that's what mine is), but something else might be to choose a screen name for yourself and keep using it. I think the thing people are annoyed with is that people just don't put anything down at all -- you could pick your name and be unregistered and still post and at least people would be able to identify you, and then you could register that same screen name when you get your email.
Buffy

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:35 pm

e mail Admin@thesinner.net and ask for a guest account. I agree banning unregistered users is not a good idea.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:06 pm

I agree with Buffy, it's the fact that the vast majority of unregistered users do not use a moniker. If they did and stuck with it, that would be good.

Also if it was made more obvious how to register for a guest account, that would probably help too.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:42 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 19:11, 30th Aug 2004:
Can other usernames not be created, maybe slightly different to people with uni email addresses but would mean that people without uni email addresses can still register.

i think it might be worth cleaning up some of the users on the sinner, by asking some users with dormant accounts if they still intend to use them

a mate of mine was after an account, only to find that "her" name had been taken by somebody who hadn't ever posted, but was currently using the name as her unreg alias. (following me)

might it be worth "freeing up" some of the old names?

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Admin on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:55 pm

Unregistered users won't be banned, as that would prevent prospective students from using the site.

It should be clearer now that you ought to include a username. (There is a notice in red).

I'll be updating the site at some point to include a bit of code that won't allow people to post unregistered without entering a username, and I'll also try to clear out the inactive accounts.
Admin

Return to The Sinner's Main Board