Home

TheSinner.net

Eve Brown and the mysterious disappearing deposits

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Eve Brown and the mysterious disappearing deposits

Postby sunstarrr on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:48 pm

ok, so it's 2 months since myself and 2 flatmates have moved out of our flat, that we rented through Eve Brown for 2 years.
now, we have only just gotten word of our elusive deposits - and suprise surprise - apparently we don't get anything back...despite being model tenants (no wild parties, etc) hm. not according to eve brown, apparently. the reasons they give us for holding back our deposits (totalling £500) are:

* repainting. i can imagine that if we trashed the flat we might have to pay for it to be repainted but the only repainting that needed doing was as a result of normal wear & tear. surely they can't bill us for this?

* cleaning. student flats aren't the cleanest of places i know, but i even enlisted my parents to help clean! we spent a whole day cleaning, it was spotless! we even cleaned the outside of the windows (of a 2nd floor flat) ..what more do they want??!

* a new fridge. apparently we have to pay £165 for the landlord to buy a new fridge despite the old fridge being in working order when we left. ok, it was an ancient fridge, but they can't charge us for replacing old equipment just cos it's old can they?

i am prety pissed off about this. anyone have any advice/comments to share? anyone else been treated like this by eve brown? how can we get our money back?!!?? is there any hope??
sunstarrr

Re:

Postby meh on Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:55 pm

Take them to a small claims court? Chances are, it's probably not worth their while to show up so you'll win by default.
meh

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:06 pm

You should get advice from a solicitor or the CAB. It sounds like they are trying to shaft you, but often a letter from a solicitor can change things.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Buffy on Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:14 pm

Yeah, you could try to email Edith Rendle at Rollos. She works with SSS to provide free legal advice/services to students.

Another possibility, though slightly dodgy (if untrue) is to tell them that you took photos of the flat that show that there was no wear and tear to the flat other than would normally be expected. If you didn't do this, you should do it in furture rentals, esp with agencies like Eve Brown who have bad reps.

I would agree though that threatening them with legal action would prob work, esp since they do have such a bad reputation, and Edith Rendle could point you in a good direction to start this, or she might be able to draft a legal-sounding letter that would get them to shape up.
Buffy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:35 pm

Yes, threatening legal is essentially calling their bluff. However, remember that you want to make sure that the weight of evidence is on them and not you.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby md25 on Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:33 am

The landlords in St Andrews are notorious for holding onto deposits like rabid limpets - the best way to avoid this is to take photos of the place as soon as you get access and show that you left it in the same state or better as you got it. Make sure the date of the photos can be authenticicated - taking pictures of the date on Ceefax, etc. at the start and end of the roll of film is usually enough, so long as you keep the negatives.
md25

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:36 am

I had a mate who moved into a flat on north street and the first thing she did was give it a good scrubbing all over. it wasn't a tip, but she couldn't believe that was the level of cleanliness that would be accepted when she moved out.

she gave it another enormous clean when she left: it was pristine. The estate agents will charge you for cleaning no matter how clean it is.

I think it's a given that you will never get your deposit back in full, maybe even at all, because the estate agents know that they can take it off you for the most arbitrary reasons, like "cleaning." how clean is clean?

the best idea is probably to take photos of how the flat was when you got there, and make sure that it looks better when you leave (supported by photos as well.) after all, £500 is a fair bit to wave goodbye to just because the estate agents decide that they want it.

[hr]
It's now who you know, it's who who you know knows
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:39 am

You can also complain in writing to:
Houses in Multiple occupation licensing,
Law and Admistration Service,
County Buildings,
Cupar,
KY15 4TA.

Objecting to the property continuing to be used as a House in multiple occupation, with Eve Brown. It is worth doing it as they want more tenant comments, and they have the power to Prevent Eve Brown being landlords.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:47 am

Please come in and see me on the middle floor of the Students' Association building, and we'll see what we can do...
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Representation @ Your Uni

Re:

Postby househunter on Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:03 pm

During the summer, me and my girlfriend rented a flat from a private landlord. All was going well until the very last day when he texted me to say that we were not going to get our deposits back. Reason being that the rent hadn't been paid in full. I assured him that it had, but he still didnt take it even though we had records for every rent payment.
The moment we threatened with police action he folded saying that he had just rechecked his records and everything was ok (seems he tried to do the same with another girl, she threatened with action and alas he folded).
Seems landlords are out to take you for a ride. Dont let them though.
househunter

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:21 pm

Sounds like our VPS has a pet project upon which he can make his reptuation.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:19 pm

If you talk to the main guy at Eve Brown in person (Stephen Brown) then that usually sorts out the problem. He can then take it up with the landlords.

Talking to the little people at an estate agents will get you nowhere whereas if you speak to the top guy then they know that you know where you stand.

But really you should have taken photo's and noted down everything on the original inventory before you did anything to the place and then take more photo's of it when you leave to show how the conditions compare.

Without photographic evidence you would have no chance in a small claims court which both the agents and the landlords will know fine well.

On top of all this when moving into a flat you should consider the deposit non returnable in the first place - you must be prepared to lose it. For a short term tenant (student or otherwise) it is always a bonus rather than a given to get the deposit back (believe me I know!!).

But talk to Mr Brown and see what he says, he's actually a surprisingly nice and non satan worshipping bloke :)

Re:

Postby forgot a name-oops on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:19 pm

If you talk to the main guy at Eve Brown in person (Stephen Brown) then that usually sorts out the problem. He can then take it up with the landlords.

Talking to the little people at an estate agents will get you nowhere whereas if you speak to the top guy then they know that you know where you stand.

But really you should have taken photo's and noted down everything on the original inventory before you did anything to the place and then take more photo's of it when you leave to show how the conditions compare.

Without photographic evidence you would have no chance in a small claims court which both the agents and the landlords will know fine well.

On top of all this when moving into a flat you should consider the deposit non returnable in the first place - you must be prepared to lose it. For a short term tenant (student or otherwise) it is always a bonus rather than a given to get the deposit back (believe me I know!!).

But talk to Mr Brown and see what he says, he's actually a surprisingly nice and non satan worshipping bloke :)
forgot a name-oops

Rollo!

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:19 pm

Don't go to them for legal advice - they've stolen my (hard earned!!) deposit too!

Re:

Postby sunstarrr on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:56 am

ok, we are getting a solicitor to write a letter to eve brown so hopefully something will come of that... unfortunately we don't have an option to go speak to them in person as none of us are in st andrews right now.

[s]Mr Tickle wrote on 11:39, 11th Sep 2004:
Objecting to the property continuing to be used as a House in multiple occupation, with Eve Brown. It is worth doing it as they want more tenant comments, and they have the power to Prevent Eve Brown being landlords.

i would do this, but the landlord had some kind of falling out with eve brown already (!) so the flat isn't actually with them any more anyway!

next time i move into a rented flat i am definitely taking photos - lesson has been learned...
sunstarrr

Re:

Postby Students Association on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:21 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 00:21, 12th Sep 2004:
Sounds like our VPS has a pet project upon which he can make his reptuation.

It's the Director of Representation, Ben Reilly, who will be the one to contact in the Students' Association.

Ben has updated the "How to Rent" book for the coming year, which is available from the general office, and also online at http://www.yourunion.net/howtorent
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

daylight robbery

Postby argentina2 on Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:11 pm

I am surprised they didnt go for the "missing keys" or "utility bills" tricks. Having rented for two years with E(thical) Brown they have pulled these two out of the hat on an annual basis.

There is a book called "Bureaucrats, how to annoy them". Many of the techniques in this bible can be easily altered to suit any communication with Eve Brown. If you have rented a flat with Eve Brown for this year buy the book and give them a taste of their own medecine.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.
argentina2

Return to The Sinner's Main Board