Home

TheSinner.net

9/11

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

9/11

Postby Mohawk on Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:31 am

just a note to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all those families affected by the September the 11th attacks in the US.

[hr]0rientation 2004 Hot Pass - Get it while it's HOT!

http://www.yourunionshop.net/
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Aureliano on Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:22 am

Dude, is this a joke? The attacks were three years ago. What relative time frame are you living in?
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:23 am

[s]Aureliano wrote on 06:22, 11th Sep 2004:
Dude, is this a joke? The attacks were three years ago. What relative time frame are you living in?

i wrote that early on this morning, having been woke up by a fire alarm - wasn;t completely awake.
changed it now tho.

[hr]
0rientation 2004 Hot Pass - Get it while it's HOT!

Mohawk

Re:

Postby md25 on Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:44 am

I see work on the replacement FREEDOM TOWER has commenced, once it's done it will be the tallest building in the world. Hopefully without a bullseye on it.
md25

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 am

[s]md25 wrote on 10:44, 11th Sep 2004:
I see work on the replacement FREEDOM TOWER has commenced, once it's done it will be the tallest building in the world. Hopefully without a bullseye on it.

it won't have a bulseye, but rumours are it will have anti aircraft missiles...

[hr]
0rientation 2004 Hot Pass - Get it while it's HOT!

Mohawk

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:43 pm

"Dude, is this a joke? The attacks were three years ago. What relative time frame are you living in?"

I'm REALLY sure that you would be saying that if it was one of your close family members who was stuck on the floors above where the planes hit and had no other choice but to jump out of their window 100 stories up.

Have some empathy you tosser.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:55 pm

to be fair Aureliano was reffering to my post, where i had added 'last year' i wrote it at some stupid time this morning, and have corrected it when i woke up.
Mohawk

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:26 pm

[s]TheUnixKid wrote on 15:43, 11th Sep 2004:

I'm REALLY sure that you would be saying that if it was one of your close family members who was stuck on the floors above where the planes hit and had no other choice but to jump out of their window 100 stories up.

Have some empathy you tosser.

Mellow out
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:17 pm

Fair enough. I hadn't taken my valium this morning.
TheUnixKid

yea

Postby sam on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:19 pm

yea, I agree. but correction-not last year. sept. 11, 2001.
sam

Re:

Postby someone on Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:17 am

A bit off topic, but...

Mohawk:

You know, on my Internet explorer, when you open up the BESS page, the title is cut off--- the frontpage for www.yourunionshop.net states quite clearly that BESS is "The University of St Andrews Students' Ass..."

Sweet.

[hr]
"He said that my astronauts were living together in sin, and deserved to be mulched."

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:15 pm

[s]Mohawk wrote on 03:31, 11th Sep 2004:
just a note to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all those families affected by the September the 11th attacks in the US.

Why are your "thoughts and prayers" with those families any more than with the millions of other families in the world affected by death every day?
Anon.

Re:

Postby James on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:32 pm

[s]Anon. wrote on 22:15, 12th Sep 2004:
Why are your "thoughts and prayers" with those families any more than with the millions of other families in the world affected by death every day?

Good point.

People do this kind of rememberance stuff because the event was so huge, it was recentish and highly publicised. People still remember other disasters, both past and present, but they get less publicity, and hence fewer people remark it. Of course, there are other well-publicised rememberance events, e.g 11/11.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few parts of recent UK history that we've forgotten (in this context):
- Dunblane
- The many Northern Ireland related attacks
- Aberfan
- Lockerbie

They've just passed us by as new news takes their place.

Sad really, but there is also the "we must move on" argument. I suppose it's knowing the balance between past, present and future.
James

Re:

Postby I say on Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:36 pm

[s]someone wrote on 05:17, 12th Sep 2004:
Mohawk:

You know, on my Internet explorer, when you open up the BESS page, the title is cut off--- the frontpage for www.yourunionshop.net states quite clearly that BESS is "The University of St Andrews Students' Ass..."

Why direct that to Mohawk in particular?
I say

Re:

Postby someone on Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:05 am

[s]I say wrote on 00:36, 13th Sep 2004:

Why direct that to Mohawk in particular?

Nothing against him, he just has it on his signature. Had it not been for that signature, I wouldn't be aware the page existed.

Bonnie, take note.

I actually have great faith in the store... it'll be quite the boon to the Union if it's publicised correctly, which I know Oli can do. I just hope they get the damned graduate/undergraduate/SASA tie thing right!

[hr]

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:06 am

Perhaps we should have a fixed day (or days) where we all remember people, whomever we choose to, and for whatever reason, but all at the same time, rather than dozens of memorials spread throughout the year.

Odd nobody thought of that yet. Or did they..?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:02 am

In fairness, I think most official organisations have said that this will be the last time they hold large-scale events to remember the dead of September 11th, 2001. But exnihilo is quite right: I hope that everyone who is remembering the dead of 2001 will be wearing a poppy in November and attending a service at their nearest church or war memorial.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Anon. on Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:54 am

[s]exnihilo wrote on 10:06, 13th Sep 2004:
Perhaps we should have a fixed day (or days) where we all remember people, whomever we choose to, and for whatever reason, but all at the same time, rather than dozens of memorials spread throughout the year.

Odd nobody thought of that yet. Or did they..?

Well, Remembrance Day is for the dead of all wars, not just the Great War. So that's a step on the way to a day of remembrance for all the dead ever.

Though if one is R.C., then there's All Souls' Day.
Anon.

Re:

Postby sad on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:35 pm

[s]James wrote on 23:32, 12th Sep 2004:
[s]Anon. wrote on 22:15, 12th Sep 2004:[i]

Good point.

People do this kind of rememberance stuff because the event was so huge, it was recentish and highly publicised. People still remember other disasters, both past and present, but they get less publicity, and hence fewer people remark it.

Sad really, but there is also the "we must move on" argument. I suppose it's knowing the balance between past, present and future.
[/i]

You'd think then that someone would have at least mentioned the hundreds of children, parents and teachers killed in Beslan which was much more recent.

I feel very sorry for the normal Muslim people in the world as I feel it cannot be long before Muslims in general (is ther any other way it happens but generalisations? no unfortunately) are the most hated people on the planet.

Freedom fighters do not murder children and force mothers to choose which of their children should die and which should live. Thats what terrorists do, and what else could the be but extremist muslims who were not so concerned about gaining independence for their country as to getting a larger sized muslim state.

Are Russia an entirely innocent party in it all? Of course not, they are as innocent as many of the other western countries that these terrorists hate. Bu is that an excuse to bomb a school? Those children had not yet lived, could not have had time to hurt anyone. It's enough to make people's blood boil and weap tears of anger.

And then people just forget.

How long will Britain put up with the extremist Muslims in this country that stain the name of other Muslims and laugh in the face of our overtly PC laws?

Oh how silly of me, once a Beslan incident happens here of course. People in this country laugh at the thought of someone from outside the country attacking the UK successfully but it is not so difficult when we let these people into the country with open arms and then can't shift them due to cunning money sucking lawyers.

How long before a bombing or massacre in this country? Or shall we just laugh at the thought until it happens?
sad

Return to The Sinner's Main Board