Home

TheSinner.net

I need an honest opinion, Please

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

I need an honest opinion, Please

Postby Belle Marie on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:30 am

I am a teacher at a University in my city. I have been given the opportunity to obtain my Graduate Degree (years of debating with my husband on "the importance of extreme education"). I am looking for honest opinions. Please, no fluff and stuff. What are your opinions of the Geoscience and/or Biology graduate programs? I have a light load this semester and am hoping to make a decision on a University before the Holidays. Thank you for your time.
Belle Marie

Re:

Postby :) on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:52 am

Hey, maybe try posting on the advice board for help :) I'm just posting to bump it up for you - sorry, I don't know bout those subjects you're asking about.
:)

I really would like an honest opinion.

Postby Belle Marie on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:52 am

Please, If anyone can help me that would really be great! I don't want to disturb the pace of this message board, but I really need to make a decision soon. Thank you for your time.
Belle Marie

Re:

Postby pea on Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:04 pm

I've just started my second year Geoscience module. Geography is my degree subject though. The department is fantastic, and everyone is very friendly and willing to help should you need it. I'm not sure I can help you really... sorry.

[hr]I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby Belle Marie on Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 pm

Thanks for bumping it up for me. I will try the advice board. I think it went to the advice board first and then I posted here.
Belle Marie

Re:

Postby Belle Marie on Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Thanks, anyone in particular that I should contact? A professor you might recommend?

[s]pea wrote on 14:04, 30th Sep 2004:
I've just started my second year Geoscience module. Geography is my degree subject though. The department is fantastic, and everyone is very friendly and willing to help should you need it. I'm not sure I can help you really... sorry.

[hr]I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
Belle Marie

Re:

Postby kezziecats on Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:30 pm

If you want to contact a Geoscience lecturer then your best bet is Tony Prave, I dont know what his email address is, but if you go onto the geography and geoscience home page (studying at st andrews, academic schools) then his email address is there. Hope this helps
kezziecats

school of biology

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:49 am

I can only speak for Biology. Obviously, it always depends, with whom you're working. But all over all, the school of biology is a pretty good place to be and the staff is very approachable. The best might be to go on their webpage: biology.st-and.ac.uk and have look at their research groups. Just contact the group leader and see how you're getting on with him/her. And despite the fact, that we nearly fall off the map, we do have very good connections to the 'outside' world and people from pretty much anywhere come to the department to give talks.
Good luck!

Re:

Postby Belle Marie on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:49 am

Thank you I will. Does anyone have anymore comments. I would really like to get as much info as possible. This is a very serious decision. I would hate to make a wrong one. Thanks.

[s]kezziecats wrote on 17:30, 3rd Oct 2004:
If you want to contact a Geoscience lecturer then your best bet is Tony Prave, I dont know what his email address is, but if you go onto the geography and geoscience home page (studying at st andrews, academic schools) then his email address is there. Hope this helps
Belle Marie

Re:

Postby Belle Marie on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:45 am

Thank you, I will do that. Sounds like you enjoy your time at this University. I really appreciate your help.

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 23:01, 3rd Oct 2004:
I can only speak for Biology. Obviously, it always depends, with whom you're working. But all over all, the school of biology is a pretty good place to be and the staff is very approachable. The best might be to go on their webpage: biology.st-and.ac.uk and have look at their research groups. Just contact the group leader and see how you're getting on with him/her. And despite the fact, that we nearly fall off the map, we do have very good connections to the 'outside' world and people from pretty much anywhere come to the department to give talks.
Good luck!
Belle Marie

anyone else??

Postby Belle Marie on Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:41 pm

Does anyone else have anything they want to say about St. Andrews in general?
Belle Marie

Re:

Postby Saki on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:51 am

[s]Unregisted User Belle Marie wrote on 00:57, 11th Oct 2004:
Does anyone else have anything they want to say about St. Andrews in general?

Your best bet for advice is to e-mail the person in the department whose interests tally best with yours. Ask them, too, if they could arrange for you to come and have a chat with members of the department. It's always best to go straight to the relevant people - a messageboard is a very limited medium for this sort of thing.
Saki

I think I have narrowed it down

Postby Belle Marie on Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:53 pm

to three Universities. Everyone has been so kind and helpful. I truly wish that all of you have a great year, study hard, get good grades.
Belle Marie

Return to The Sinner's Main Board