Home

TheSinner.net

elitism in st andrews?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:53 am

If Lumsden want to raise money for children's and women's charities- then it is fair enough to have a women only society (club, sorry)... But where is the need for the eliteism!!?!?!!??!? Pashminas and pearl earrings only!

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:53 am

Their latest poster? Along the lines of "all 1st year ladies* are invited to apply" "*training will be giving"!

wankers

Re:

Postby mottthehoople on Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:00 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 03:27, 30th Sep 2004:
[s]iohannes wrote on 01:45, 30th Sep 2004:[i]
I hate all the new students because they are causing me to have to queue longer in Tescos. Bastards

Plus I have aversion to people who are a fucking tangerine colour.

[hr]That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

FIRST CLASS POST! I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YA!! :-D
[/i]

I agree to, theres too many students in this toon
mottthehoople

Hmmmm.

Postby Bread Roll on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:02 pm

Bee witch - what a fantastic little thing. I shall use it in at least 5 sentences today. Also I am not in St A this year so I shall not be causing traffic in Tesco. Yay me! The best time to go anyway, I have found is at about 11.45pm. This is especially good for post weekday pub munchies and reduced bread rolls. But going at lunch time on a weekday is like visiting Hell due to enormous amounts of Madras kids converging upon the sandwiches....

I like there being so many students - it means I`m less likely to get picked on in the tutorial I didn`t read for...
Bread Roll

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:24 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:58 pm

You should have spat in their eyes right there and then.

[hr]IMAGE:www.pushposters.co.uk/new/thumbs/a/S_a06015.jpg
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 17:54, 29th Sep 2004:
Obviously, that sounds pretty outrageous but perhaps you could indulged us/me with more details of this debacle?

maybe elitism isnt the right word to describe it, but a prejudice following this form does certainly exist in the town.

alot of students who seem rich mix with similar people - 'rich' being defined through their outward appearence and high personalities. if someone who doesn't look the part wants to join them in their group of friends, they would turn a cold eye to them and look down on them treating them like second rate. this is what happens to me - either that or my appearance is so ugly it causes offense to people. i sit down at a desk - people immediately get up to leave; i remember a girl even leaving to try and find another spot for her computer in the library, carrying a load of books too in the move. messed up as it sounds, it all points to the same kind of truth which may be initially considered hypocritical, but through experience its true.

in essence, through the way they look at you, their lack or lost of enthusiasm when they communicate to you (as opposed to their rich bitch good looking friends), their lack of interest and aggressive/dominant body language acts as indication that they think less of you and do not want to mix with you, for elitest-like reasons - they consider themselves superior to you and do not want to delve down to your low level of life and how you live. prejudice takes many forms - elitism, racism, lookism, etc - controversial as it may seem, it is in fact existing right now as we speak - why do you think you see all the asian and chinese people hanging out with each other, hardly ever mixing with others? why do you see people who dress so smartly and elequently hang out with similar people? have you ever seen a beauty and the beast combination/couple in the town (i don't think so)?

something to think about..

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:54 am

guys guys guys, you are goingon about how you are being grossly sterotyped into the poor catagorie, yet you are all doin exactly the same to "yahs". I have a very wide a mixed circle of friends, the rich poor devide is simply imaginated, but if it does provide such a problem maybe consider bettering yourself. :)

Re:

Postby eeeeeeek on Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:56 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 17:10, 1st Oct 2004:
maybe elitism isnt the right word to describe it, but a prejudice following this form does certainly exist in the town.

alot of students who seem rich mix with similar people - 'rich' being defined through their outward appearence and high personalities. if someone who doesn't look the part wants to join them in their group of friends, they would turn a cold eye to them and look down on them treating them like second rate.

Are these really the kind of people you want to mix with? If not then what's the problem? If so then you are just as screwed up - though from the rest of your post it seems you are paranoid and crazy to the extreme.

Stop caring about what other people think, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. It's just living in the real world.

And again - you sound totally paranoid and crazy, scary stuff :O
eeeeeeek

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:40 pm

[s]Unregisted User eeeeeeek wrote on 22:46, 1st Oct 2004:
And again - you sound totally paranoid and crazy, scary stuff :O

nope, just speaking the truth. if you think i am paranoid then you would be able to provide positive answers to the questions i left at the end of my post. if you cannot, your assessment is as much crap as the dog dumping some down the road.

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:48 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:34, 2nd Oct 2004:
nope, just speaking the truth. if you think i am paranoid then you would be able to provide positive answers to the questions i left at the end of my post. if you cannot, your assessment is as much crap as the dog dumping some down the road.

Still crazy....go on, be crazy some more so we can all continue to wonder why people won't sit beside you.

you are so boring..

Postby Guest on Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:48 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:46, 3rd Oct 2004:
[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:34, 2nd Oct 2004:[i]

Still crazy....go on, be crazy some more so we can all continue to wonder why people won't sit beside you.
[/i]

okay then little miss know-it-all, provide satisfactory and convincing answers to the questions set above.

i await your petty responce.

"Crazy" might be right

Postby Cameron on Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:48 pm

As an ex public school pupil who attended a uni with a fairly low proportion of similar, my initial attitude was indeed somewhat to look down on the other group, but to conceal it with politeness. My attitudes soon changed. Maybe it came across as a lack of interest and in my body language. I think this has been an interesting and intuitive post.
Cameron

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:44 am

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 17:51, 4th Oct 2004:
okay then little miss know-it-all, provide satisfactory and convincing answers to the questions set above.

i await your petty responce.

Ah you still don't understand. No one cares about your post, most people probably didn't even bother reading it properly.

If you want an actual debate then try not being so judgemental about others. It's boring and it's people like you that make St Andrews seem like an elitist place to some.

Re:

Postby blinkey on Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:32 am

[s]tintin wrote on 19:30, 29th Sep 2004:
My point is that if there are 2,500 new intakes this year, the "value" of a St. Andrews degree becomes progressively less and less. In my year the intake was around 1,250 which implies the "value" has decreased by half in that time.

But maybe that does an injustice to those new students (remember at the same time the 'wonderful' Labour policy of 50% 18-30 year-olds in Higher Education) who may be being deceived.

I don't know. I am proud of my MA and what I learnt; I love to see knowledge being passed on. However what I find difficult is the fact that so many are getting the same thing these days - is it therefore worth the same as before?

The university actually offers a place in as many people as it always has. It is just that more people are accepting a place that the starting class is too big. Obviously the uni can't actually decide the exact number of entrants by any extent, they can only give out the unconditional offers etc., and hope not everyone makes it / accepts, because they don't have room. I think I've heard that they give out about 3 times as many offers as they have places. This means that shock horror not everyone even wants to come who gets offered a place. I think it is one of the hardest things the uni has to do - trying to predict how many people will accept and therefore how many places they will offer. In the end it is all a bit of a lottery. Nothing that would in any way devalue the degree.
blinkey

check this out

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:16 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1717886.stm

comments?

i rest by case in st andrews being elitest.

Re:

Postby Tyler Fincher on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:24 pm

Brian Lang does look a total prick in that photo. Still, the state schools are still the majority, I would only worry if it dropped below 50%.

[hr]IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~adgc/avatar.JPG
Tyler Fincher

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:31 pm

I don't actually care.
If people are good enough to do a degree here, then who cares if they are from the state or the private sector?

[hr]“If a man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.” Ancient Japanese Proverb
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:35 pm

It says that we have the lowest number of people from state schools (still a majority though) yet fails to tabulate the *truly* relevant figure, which is the rejection rate of people from state schools.

If people don't want to come here, should they be forced to simply because of where they were educated as St. Andrews is deemed "elitist". I think not.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby blinkey on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:42 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 14:35, 7th Oct 2004:
It says that we have the lowest number of people from state schools (still a majority though) yet fails to tabulate the *truly* relevant figure, which is the rejection rate of people from state schools.

If people don't want to come here, should they be forced to simply because of where they were educated as St. Andrews is deemed "elitist". I think not.

Exactly. It could just be students from state schools choosing not to come here even if accepted because of the reputation the school has.

Lies and statistics and all that.
blinkey

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board