Home

TheSinner.net

RESnet - a bridge too far

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

RESnet - a bridge too far

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:21 pm

Ok, port blocking might have been a bit fucking annoying but not letting me send a fucking e-mail to me old ma?!

That's too far, in my books.

And no, webmail sucks - that's why it's a joke they won't let us use the mail servers to send anything but internal mail on SMTP servers.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby md25 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:29 pm

I just sent my gmail account a message without using webmail so to this I'm going to have to say "um, what?"
md25

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:59 pm

Yeah but that's not a pop3 account.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:35 pm

What's the problem? Webmail can't send mail externally any more?

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:33 pm

Webmail? No - that's shite, he means using Thunderbird (or Outlook Express if you have no common sense).

[hr][s]What a beautiful world this will be .... what a glorious time to be free[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Representation @ Your Uni on Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:52 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 14:59, 1st Oct 2004:
Yeah but that's not a pop3 account.

Have you got your SMTP server set to your home server (the one you get your university email from)?
Alex Yabroff
President
Students' Association
St Andrews
(01334 46) 2700
pres@st-andrews.ac.uk
Representation @ Your Uni

Re:

Postby pim on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:01 pm

I've lost the little faith I had in the ResNet people. It took them 10 days to work out that the problem with my lack of connection was that my ethanet cable had died over the summer.

[hr]L'enfer, c'est les autres (Jean-Paul Sartre, Huis Clos)
L'enfer, c'est les autres (Jean-Paul Sartre, Huis Clos)
pim

Re:

Postby Kegrad on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:05 pm

in the account settings, change the outgoing (smtp) server to your university server, eg, edge.st-andrews.ac.uk and then check the box that says "outgoing mail server requires authentication". Next to that, click settings and then "log on using" and put your uni username and password in the correct boxes! Click ok on all the open windows, then you should be able to send and recieve as normal.

The reason you have to set it up like that is because either resnet don't let you connect to other mail servers or your isp doesn't let you connect to their server. This is actually sensible, as it makes sending spam more difficult!
Kegrad

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:06 pm

Outlook Express isn't that bad - it's just set up stupidly at first.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby md25 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:09 pm

FURTHER TESTS USING THUNDERNERD

Sending and receiving to/from arbritary addresses works fine using my uni email accounts!

Receiving from external pop3 server (pop3.mail.yahoo.co.uk) works fine! Sending (using smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk) doesn't, the error messages make me think this is because of the firewall! I might write angrily to the helpdesk saying that this is a perversion of the rights of man!
md25

R U Sure

Postby JM on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:13 pm

are usure u cant externally e-mail?

i've been externally emailing my family since i got here and everythings working fine???
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby md25 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:19 pm

You can send using your @st-andrews.ac.uk address only. This shouldn't be a problem for most people, but if you'd like to send using another email address you can't, which is a problem for more people than you'd think.
md25

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:36 pm

I might be misunderstanding the problem but to get OE to send and receive emails through webmail you have to set the account you are using to IMAP rather than pop3.

Don't know why this has changed though but if it is your st-and account you want to use it now has to be set to IMAP in the account settings.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby md25 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:37 pm

<< the post this was replying to has been deleted >>
md25

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:39 pm

OE wouldn't send or receive from my st-and account til I set it up to do so with IMAP rather than pop3, but I'm not on RESNet so I don't know how that effects it.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:14 pm

if you're sending from the univeristy network, you have to use your st andrews email server (pesto, bute etc), and make sure that your email account has been registered to your IP address with IT services.
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:43 pm

All of that is the case but I think, I have devised within my mind a means to allow me to use my pop3 account etc. but thanks to all those who scratched their head etc.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:27 pm

[s]pim wrote on 17:01, 1st Oct 2004:
I've lost the little faith I had in the ResNet people. It took them 10 days to work out that the problem with my lack of connection was that my ethanet cable had died over the summer.

Did you tell them that it worked fine last year with this cable?
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 pm

does it matter which email address you use to send messages?

if webmail works but your other one(s) don't, then use that one. stop whining, child!

Re:

Postby Arashi on Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:51 pm

[s]Kegrad wrote on 17:05, 1st Oct 2004:
in the account settings, change the outgoing (smtp) server to your university server, eg, edge.st-andrews.ac.uk and then check the box that says "outgoing mail server requires authentication". Next to that, click settings and then "log on using" and put your uni username and password in the correct boxes! Click ok on all the open windows, then you should be able to send and recieve as normal.

The reason you have to set it up like that is because either resnet don't let you connect to other mail servers or your isp doesn't let you connect to their server. This is actually sensible, as it makes sending spam more difficult!

I love you.

I really really love you. *sends outgoing messages again with reckless abandon*
Arashi

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board