Home

TheSinner.net

wheelchair access to LPH?

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

wheelchair access to LPH?

Postby KateBush on Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:22 pm

Is there a debate this week? Can I get in in a wheelchair? Or will I have to be lifted in like Cleopatra, sedan-like, by my minions?

Any advice (or offers from potential minions) gratefully received!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:39 pm

I may be entirely wrong, but I seem to recall there being a small ramp for the door which opens directly into the chamber. Perhaps a call to the janitors?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby KateBush on Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:55 pm

Ah, yes, indeed. I think ther is a rampy bit somewhere. But are there not also EVIL stairs? Maybe one of the BoT could get back to me and let me know?
KateBush

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:20 pm

I think that there is a ramp somewhere, but it might be in St. Marys Quad. If not, then it will be easy enough to carry you in. Although I would be interested to see if you can get in with a wheelchair. If not, we need to look at access.

[hr]"'The tea is coming!' ...she may want a martini, but make her drink tea."
-Alice Taylor, To School Through the Fields
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Let's carry you in, all 'Look at me' style.

It would be so great.

[hr][s]Strangers passing in the street....by chance two seperate glances meet[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Anon. on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:17 pm

But people might think you were taking over the Convenorship!
Anon.

Re:

Postby Stuart on Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:39 pm

I remember at the 1997 Schools Final, a group of us had to carry a wheelchair up to the Senate Room. The person in the wheelchair was the coach from Arbroath Academy, which was the dominant school of the period. Anyway, the coach was Miss Anne Begg, who went on to become the Member of Parliament for Aberdeen South.

Just thought I'd add that.
Stuart

Re:

Postby peter on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:39 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a ramp, otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to use the place (vide. Old Union Theatre). I will check with the Janitorii Collegei Sanctae Mariae Virginae. This week's debate is the Parliamentary, and therefore on a Friday. Don't forget to get your tickets for the Parliamentary Dinner from Ben McGreevy (bpm4)- 20 pounds for two courses and a half bottle of wine at Bridges.

Peter
peter

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:27 am

[s]peter wrote on 23:39, 3rd Dec 2004:
Janitorii Collegei Sanctae Mariae Virginae

Ianitorii, even, some would argue. (Damn it, I will, I must, subvert Mr Covino's thread and steer it towards ancient languages.)

[hr]
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:31 am

Except, of course, this isn't Mr Covino's thread. Oh dear. Mea culpa.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:08 pm

Yeah, carry me in! I'll be in my ball gown! yippeeeeee! This will be SOOOO cool! Steveoh and Dave, are you up for it? I want to be piped in with the board of ten...that will be SO awesome...this may well be my last debate as an undergrad, and I want to come in STYLE!
KateBush

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:45 am

Having seen similar entrances attempted in many "comedy" programmes and films, I must warn you that such things never end well. At best, you will be left clinging to the top of the door frame as your minions progress stately into the room carrying aloft an empty chair.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby peter on Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:05 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 00:27, 4th Dec 2004:
[s]peter wrote on 23:39, 3rd Dec 2004:[i]
Janitorii Collegei Sanctae Mariae Virginae

Ianitorii, even, some would argue. (Damn it, I will, I must, subvert Mr Covino's thread and steer it towards ancient languages.)

[/i]

Yes, thinking about it would agree with Ianitorii. Although should it be in Mediaeval Latin, in which case:

Janitorii Collegei Sancte Marie Virgine
peter

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:48 pm

That, or simply, "Jim & co.".

[hr]"Fiat justicia ruat coelum (let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to Union Debating Society