Home

TheSinner.net

Flooding in Malaysia

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Stuart on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:47 pm

[s]John Stewart wrote on 14:33, 6th Jan 2005:

SECOND PROP Oxford D (Jon Bailey and Alex Just)

Alex Just has just beaten me in a debate. He now gets an all expenses paid trip to Australia.

I'm not bitter.
Stuart

Re:

Postby Simon Atkins on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:47 am

[s]John Stewart wrote on 06:30, 7th Jan 2005:
The chosen hosts for the 2006/07 Championships were UNIVERSITY of BRITISH COLUMBIA based in Vancouver, beating Sydney for the hosting rights. This is a choice I feel which weighs heavily in favour again of institutions like ourselves who cannot afford to be going to Australasia every couple of years.

And has the added bonus of being in Canada as Canadians are great.
Simon Atkins

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:14 pm

[s]Stuart wrote on 21:47, 12th Jan 2005:
[s]John Stewart wrote on 14:33, 6th Jan 2005:[i]

SECOND PROP Oxford D (Jon Bailey and Alex Just)

Alex Just has just beaten me in a debate. He now gets an all expenses paid trip to Australia.

I'm not bitter.
[/i]

Never mind, dear - you should see his kilt...

Also, what were you debating? And why Australia as a prize?
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Stuart on Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:05 pm

"THB that the Commonwealth has had its day"

The Scottish Parliament were looking for two people to send to the Commonwealth Youth Parliament in Brisbane. I, somehow, managed to get into the last six, and was flown over from Bonn to take part in this debate.

They had to pick a male and a female, so they chose Alex and a girl who studies at Durham. It would be wrong for me to suggest that had they not decided on this gender discrimination, I would be flying to Australia next month. As I say, I'm not bitter, as I did get a free trip home.
Stuart

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society