Home

TheSinner.net

The Marquess

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:14 am

I don't usually go in for IV style debate but I really enjoyed the Marquess - good fun all around - I was really impressed by the quality - and the length of the motion title ;)
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:14 am

I don't usually go in for IV style debate but I really enjoyed the Marquess - good fun all around - I was really impressed by the quality - and the length of the motion title ;)
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:13 am

[s]lem4 wrote on 10:01, 7th Mar 2005:
Also, thank you to Ralph Covino for chairing the debate...

T'was my pleasure both to compete for the ever-so-aptly named St Andrews Dummy A and to chair the final.

I'll take the tab when you've got a minute - rjc15 - I need a good laugh.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:58 am

If you have copy of the tab, I would love to see it. Might make my disease-ridden body feel a little better.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:06 am

How come this thread was started by LEM4, but the first post is a deleted one from SLG?
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:08 am

[s]David Bean wrote on 08:06, 7th Mar 2005:
How come this thread was started by LEM4, but the first post is a deleted one from SLG?

The Sinner hasn't learned what time it is yet, apparently, according to Oli.
RJ Covino

The Marquess

Postby lem4 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:01 am

Hi all,

Posting the tab on this thing from the Marquess is actually a nightmare so if you'd like it, email me and I will pass it along to you.

The Marquess was a success despite low turnout. We had 14 teams from Dundee, Edinburgh, Durham, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Newcastle, and America plus 2 St Andrews dummy teams.

The final motion was "THBT When a Disabled Person is Physically and Mentally Capable of Working, Then They Should Not Be Given Disability Benefits."

1st Prop: Aberdeen X (Greg Murray and Nerissa Drennan)
2nd Prop: Durham (Erin O'Brien and Alistair Cormack)
1st Opp: GUU Status Quo (Niall Kennedy and Richard Anderson)
2nd Opp: Dundee A (Keith Newman and Jenni Harrison)

Winner: Durham

I'd like to thank again all the judges and dummy speakers who did come along despite their hangovers (and mine) and to John Stewart for tabbing and Cheif Adjudicating. Also, thank you to Ralph Covino for chairing the debate (owing to Peter's lost voice.) Another big thank you to the Board Members did actually show up to the final. Thanks!
"There is, you'll agree, a certain [i:jzcwav8n]je ne sais quoi[/i:jzcwav8n] oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."
lem4

Return to Union Debating Society