Home

TheSinner.net

The Website

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

The Website

Postby gina on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

David, the website is great, congrats. Hope everyone's having a great holiday, gina xx
gina

Re:

Postby James Baster on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CHANGE THE LINK COLOURS PLEASE ITS PAINFUL TO READ!!!!
James Baster

Re:

Oh, and change this page:

http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~debates/
James Baster

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Thanks, Gina! It's nice to hear something positive for a change, but the Board, at least, has been very nice about it. Thank you all for your support.

The links colour was what I inherited from Alex; it's funny that they should be a problem to some people, because they're perfectly clear on my monitor. Maybe I could lighten the blue a little to bring it into line with the bar at the top, but I'd have to do it globally and I'm not sure how to do that. Also, regarding the ~debates link, I didn't even know that page existed and I certainly don't have any control over it. If I could only get it to do an immediate forward to the proper address then that'd be fine, but I can't because I have no access to whatever server the thing is stored on.

David
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

OK, thats sort of a common trap. You use computers a lot and you get used to them so you start doing colours and font sizes that you can see fine not thinking about others who are less familiar with computers. Its a hard one to think around and I'm not claiming I'm perfect at this either; but when designing webistes try to think to the lowest common denominator. and I dont mean that in an insulting way to anyone.

And the colours do look fine on my moniters, its just they're hard to read. Do a litte test. Find 10 people who have never seen the debating website and preferably know nothing about St. Andrews or debating life (because they might already knew the names of the links) Tell they your going to show them a page, and you want them to read out loud the main body of text on it. THEN bring the links page up. My guess is there will be a noticable pause before they start reading out loud. From everyone. At the end, ask them what they thought of the colours and how easy it was to read.

How to change colours; forgive me if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, I have no idea of your skill. In the header of each page is this:

A:link {
COLOR: #3333cc; FONT-VARIANT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
A:visited {
COLOR: #3333cc; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
A:active {
COLOR: #3333cc; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
A:hover {
COLOR: #ff0033; FONT-VARIANT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: underline
}

Thats what you want. There is no global way, given the site structure you have at the moment I'm afraid.

But check out editpad from www.jgsoft.com. This will let you open all your html files at once and then do a global search and replace (and is also a nifty text editor I would reccomend anyway.)

little blue would work, as long as its very very light blue. You need very strong contrast from the black. It has t readable very easily. Reading the links page at the moment does make my head heart, im not joking.

Also, try to check any plannned colours on a nomal moniter and a flat screen such as laptops have; they can look diffrent.

For the www.st-and.ac.uk, this website is accessed throught the debates email account that Miranda has access to. if you FTP in, go to the public_html folder.

There is no way to do immedite redirect given what the server, but create a page that says "The Debatingsociety website has moved to X, you will be redirected there in 5 seconds" then put the following between the <head> and </head> tags

<http-equiv equiv="refresh" content="5;url=http://www.debatingsociety.org.uk">

That is from memory, I could have got it wrong. Ask me if it doesnt work. and I'll go look it up.

But for all that demoralising smackdown I just delivered, I do like the site. The content is good, the design is nicely laid out, navigation is easy and it seems like your going to do a good job of keeping it current which is the curse of many a society website. Congratulations .

I will be emailing you soon to let you into the Sinner development site; so you can deliver the same demoralising blow to me :-)
James Baster

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Thanks! I'll check over all of those things ASAP, but it looks as though it might be a week or two given all the CSTPV stuff I have to catch up on... :)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Website critique

Postby Jackie on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I think your website looks very professional. I had no trouble reading it and like the colors. Your presentation is straight forward and easy to use. Your prose are expressive but to the point. Keep up the good work!
Jackie

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

For the official society pages (ie the www.st-and.ac.uk/~... ones) they used to reside in the public html folder on the societies email server but some (I think all but I'm not sure) had all their html files copied to a new server and now run off that. Basically if you do go looking in the /public_html on the original server you will find copies of the pages but making changes to those copies won't actually effect what people see on the webpage.
Try FTPing into goliath.st-and.ac.uk, using the same log in name and password as that for the society's email account and you should find another set of copies of the web pages, these will be the ones actually being used.

Forgive if this isn't the case for Debates but I know it happened to the Rocksoc web page that I upkeep a few months back.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Ahh, thanks for the correctiion. Its been a year since I touched society webpages.
James Baster

Return to Union Debating Society