Home

TheSinner.net

Ralph Covino becomes Father of the House

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 09, 2005 11:06 am

Point well and truly missed. Fine, insert another club or society name instead and try to understand what people are saying. Anyway, you DO charge membership, so the argument would still stand in your case.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon May 09, 2005 1:55 pm

Quoting Laura from 09:55, 9th May 2005
I really do suggest we just stop arguing with Richard, then he'll get bored and go away. We all know he's wrong about everything anyway- it's like a mutual understanding between everybody else who posts on here. Maybe we should just leave it there...

Wrong about everything, in many countries that is considered slander.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 09, 2005 3:24 pm

No. Wrong again, I'm afraid. Must try harder.

In any country, as it is in written form, it would be considered libel if anything. However, as it is clearly hyperbole, and it can be demonstrated that you've been wrong on a number of things, I think the defence of "veritas*" would be accepted in most courts.

*Not the "political party", but the defence most commonly used against charges of libel, that the remark was true or fair comment.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 10, 2005 11:48 am

Wrong about everything, in many countries that is considered slander.

Generally if it's written it's libel rather than slander.

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 10, 2005 11:49 am

Quoting exnihilo from 14:06, 9th May 2005
Point well and truly missed. Fine, insert another club or society name instead and try to understand what people are saying. Anyway, you DO charge membership, so the argument would still stand in your case.

Ahem, perhaps I should have made clearer that I'm not Jules and that I knew what your point was, I was just clearing up any misconception that the tories did charge.

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 10, 2005 11:49 am

To add to exnihilo's comments about veritas, the comment would have to be shown to be defamatory for any libel claim to succeed. Caselaw (albeit English) has shown that a claim that a comment has made the claimant a laughing-stock is insufficient for a defamation claim. Things, it would appear, are looking glum for Tweedle-Dum...

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue May 10, 2005 1:37 pm

Quoting from 23:12, 9th May 2005
To add to exnihilo's comments about veritas, the comment would have to be shown to be defamatory for any libel claim to succeed. Caselaw (albeit English) has shown that a claim that a comment has made the claimant a laughing-stock is insufficient for a defamation claim. Things, it would appear, are looking glum for Tweedle-Dum...

Sorry, wasn't thinking, the laws we refer to are those of defamation of character.

So I would have to prove that:

a) They defame my character
and
b) They are untrue.

Not that I will.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue May 10, 2005 11:26 pm

Sorry, wasn't thinking, the laws we refer to are those of defamation of character.

So I would have to prove that:

a) They defame my character
and
b) They are untrue.

Not that I will.

Almost. As I understand it, you would have to prove that:

a) the statement is defamatory;
b) the statement refers to you; and
c) the statement was maliciously published (though malicious implies a mens rea that need not exist).

It need not be shown that the statement was untrue to bring an action in defamation (whether it be libel or slander).

However, as exnihilo rightly suggests, if the defendant can prove in his defence that the statement was true, then the claim as to that statement is wholly defeated.
"the law will not permit a man to recover damages in respect of an injury to a character which he does not...possess" (M'Pherson v Daniels (1829) 10 B&C 263)

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed May 11, 2005 7:47 am

This has become the most splendidly random thread. I congratulate all the participants.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed May 11, 2005 11:06 am

Indeed, long may it continue - if only to perplex Mr Joss still further as to its longevity!

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed May 11, 2005 12:16 pm

Removed due to irrelevance
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed May 11, 2005 5:21 pm

Quoting RJ Covino from 14:06, 11th May 2005
Indeed, long may it continue - if only to perplex Mr Joss still further as to its longevity!

I'm in no way perplexed by its longevity.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby BasilSeal on Thu May 12, 2005 7:33 pm

Perhaps you could also ask for donations from old members of the Society, or possibly charge a subscription for a newly-invented "Alumnus Member" category. I would cetainly be willing to stump up a few bob for this.
BasilSeal

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society