Home

TheSinner.net

Institutional Memory

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Institutional Memory

Postby Guest on Fri May 06, 2005 1:42 am

Having read many of the arguments about the traditions of the House and Union, I\'ve been thinking what a shame it is that there is no proper history of the University for the last 50 years or so. I know that R. Cant\'s book goes up to the 60\'s, but he\'s not very good at all on anything post war.

We need an up to date history, or failing that, we need to preserve the memories of those on these boards who have been around a while (Cellar Bar, exnihilo etc). Could they be persuaded to write a short article on their time at the university?

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri May 06, 2005 3:48 am

The University has commissioned a number of postgraduate research projects for precisely this purpose, as part of the 600th Anniversary celebrations.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri May 06, 2005 5:48 am

Which is not to suggest in any way that I would be unwilling to write such articles or, indeed, send the articles I already wrote to interested parties! 'Cause I'm shameless like that.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 06, 2005 9:04 am

Quoting exnihilo from 06:48, 6th May 2005
The University has commissioned a number of postgraduate research projects for precisely this purpose, as part of the 600th Anniversary celebrations.

From what little I know of the that project, it seems it is to be a collection of writings on the university rather than a full narrative. Would i also be alone in not trusting something that is being written for the university in not being as brutal as others might?

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri May 06, 2005 8:11 pm

Oh quite the contrary, I'd have thought. If it's to be a serious piece of academic enquiry in what m'colleague Mr Wilson would doubtless call a PhD-stylee then it will be soulless and pointless.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed May 18, 2005 8:49 am

Quite so, quite so. It is to be regretted that there is no comprehensive history of the University, but such a thing would be a major undertaking. I think the University hopes that the PhD studentships it is offering will go some way towards righting that by the time of the 600th anniversary. I don't suppose, however, we can hope for something as imposing as the brilliant multi-volume history of Oxford.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed May 18, 2005 9:15 am

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 11:49, 18th May 2005
I don't suppose, however, we can hope for something as imposing as the brilliant multi-volume history of Oxford.

Do you really think the source material would allow for such a work to be written? There are only so many times you can write "and then crass-bad management led to the closure of/destruction of/sale of..." and that's just the 16/1700's!

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Return to Union Debating Society