Home

TheSinner.net

Church and State Debate

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Stuart on Thu May 19, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting Laura from 16:23, 19th May 2005
Quoting Stuart from 15:14, 19th May 2005
Quoting Laura from 14:18, 19th May 2005
......it's in the Senate room (STRICTLY no drinking)

since when?

All student groups have been forbidden use of the room, especially for the purposes of drinking. What the university permit when they rent the room out privately I have no idea, but we were warned very seriously by reservations that alcohol is strictly forbidden in there, and this was repeated to us once again before the debate begun. If you have some form of doubt about this then contact them- but it is what we were informed of.

Gotcha. For a moment I thought you were saying alcohol had been banned from the Senate Room altogether, which, of course, would be of great annoyance to myself when I return to StA.
Stuart

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu May 19, 2005 2:28 pm

It was simply several members of the board of ten lending a hand to Simon and to the University. I'm sorry that so many of you feel put out for it not being advertised, but it simply wasn't considered a meeting of the society, and we couldn't have seated you even if you had wanted to come.

That sounds reasonable enough, but given it was apparantly discussed at board of ten meetings several times, we can be forgiven for thinking that it was hardly only a couple of people organising it in their spare time. I don't think it ridiculous to say that the membership should be kept upto speed with what the board of ten are up to.

And as for the ridiculous notion of it somehow making the society an old boys drinking club;

a) Stupid- it wasn't as if I issued specific invitations. It was simply discussed at board for three weeks running .....

b) How in the hell does it relate in any way to an old boys drinking club when it's in the Senate room (STRICTLY no drinking) and it was FOR A GROUP OF MUSLIM STUDENTS. Get with the programme.

Laura, I didn't say it made it an old boys drinking club, i said that it was an old-boys-drinking club way of running things, ie cliquey, there is a difference and I don't think the line merited the aggressive and illogical response (who said anything about alcohol in the senate room?).

I don't think that it unreasonable that people express:

a) Sadness that they we unable to go to what must have been an extremely interesting event because they weren't told about it.

b) Annoyance the University will let a group of visitors use the Senate room, but not the UDS

Please don't say that they would have known about it if they went to the board of ten; the purpose of having a committee is so that everyone doesn't have to get together everytime something needs to be decided

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu May 19, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting from 17:13, 19th May 2005
It was simply several members of the board of ten lending a hand to Simon and to the University. I'm sorry that so many of you feel put out for it not being advertised, but it simply wasn't considered a meeting of the society, and we couldn't have seated you even if you had wanted to come.

That sounds reasonable enough, but given it was apparantly discussed at board of ten meetings several times, we can be forgiven for thinking that it was hardly only a couple of people organising it in their spare time. I don't think it ridiculous to say that the membership should be kept upto speed with what the board of ten are up to.

Who said a couple of people were organising it in their spare time? No, it's not ridiculous that you should be kept up to speed regarding what is going on, but that's why meetings are open and why the minutes will get posted. What is ridiculous is people thinking they have a right to be a part of everything all the time when society money isn't being used and there is something being done for a particular group of people on the request of the university, after which, other people won't be able to fit in the room.

Laura, I didn't say it made it an old boys drinking club, i said that it was an old-boys-drinking club way of running things, ie cliquey, there is a difference and I don't think the line merited the aggressive and illogical response (who said anything about alcohol in the senate room?).

It wasn't illogical- you in no way explained why it was that you thought it made us like a 'drinking club', clearly what you meant to say was that it made us look cliquey. Which is wrong- and it's wrong because as I have stated, there were no particular invites extended to people, there were no 'chosen few', it was simply the people who had expressed an interest in helping the students all week, the people who had helped organise the debate and a few of the friends of the people that were speaking to give them moral support. I didn't ask anyone to come at all, and as I've said, the ones who did turn up when asked by the speakers were extremely lucky to get seated- we considered putting a ban on anyone attending whatsoever.

I don't think that it unreasonable that people express:

a) Sadness that they we unable to go to what must have been an extremely interesting event because they weren't told about it.

b) Annoyance the University will let a group of visitors use the Senate room, but not the UDS

It IS unreasonable that people express sadness that they weren't told about the event, because as I have mentioned several times, there isn't any way they could have been seated in there and it wasn't a UDS event, and they had no entitlement to come along, and none of our money funded it. It was a university thing that I agreed to help out with, and the board agreed to help out with.

As for the Senate room, I suppose I am going to get widely attacked for this- but I have no intention of attempting to ever get that room back for pre debate drinks. It's an important room to the university, and they take ANY group's use of it very seriously. They kept a watchful eye on us even when the Foreighn Office was there. I don't want the society to be let loose in their again, unless it is for something like that. The psychology foyer is a much more suitable venue, which we will be trying to get back. They stopped us using it because we were irresponsible, and quite frankly, there are several members of the UDS that I certainly don't want to vouch for with drinks in their hands in rooms like that.

As has been discussed, for things like IV finals, it may be possible to get hold of the room if the Association President was favourable and someone like Alistair Work was prepared to babysit us. It's not completely out of bounds for the UDS- simply for functions that involve lots of people and drink. Which is reasonable, considering the things that are in there, and what happened last time.

Please don't say that they would have known about it if they went to the board of ten; the purpose of having a committee is so that everyone doesn't have to get together everytime something needs to be decided

And please don't predict what I will say or tell me what to say- the reason I brought up the board thing was simply because there were literally just a few spare seats and they were the ones that got them. They took an interest in what was going on at the time so they got to go along. And before you say that that isn't fair to other members, I will yet again point out that no one has a platform to stand on as regards their right to come to this event being taken away, because they simply didn't have one.

I realise that when I post to clarify things like this, people think that I am aggressive towards certain members of the UDS- it isn't that, it's just that if people complain about something, and I post what the actual circumstances are, and people who clearly know me still come back at me unregistered, I don't know what to do other than clarify it again....

If there was an event in the senate room that I wanted to go to, but couldn't because there was no room for me, and had no actual entitlement to be there because it wasn't being funded by my society or officially run by them, I wouldn't come on a message board and keep demanding that I had a right to be there-

I'm not trying to come across as aggressive, I just don't know what you wanted me to do- expand the room? hang seats from the roof? Demand the university let me pay for the event so my members have a right to come?

Exasperated.

And bloody well post as who you are..... it is so, so cowardly. I don't get what the anonymous thing is about. What do you think will happen if you criticise someone as yourself?
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu May 19, 2005 4:02 pm

In fairness, no damage has EVER been done to anything in the Senate Room by members of the Debating Society, so far as I am aware. The reason we were banned from using it (apart from a University-wide policy, encouraged by Professor Carradice, which I deprecate very, very strongly) was that a clock was 'misappropriated' from the Senior Common Room by a member of another debating society during the 2001 Marquess of Bute competition. It was unfortunate and didn't reflect all that well on us, but the punishment, in my view, was disproportionate. I repeat, the UDS had used the Senate Room for pre-debate drinks for, well, longer than I can remember (10 years, 15, Mr Joss?), and no damage was ever done.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu May 19, 2005 4:40 pm

I think things are different to some extent now... God, what have I started? Erm, there are some people I wouldn't trust with a drink in my front room- nevermid the Senate room. It took one mistake last week to accidentally spill a mystery vanilla milkshake all over the place, it was totally not the person's fault or indeed her drink, but it happened and I nearly had a heart attack... imagine if it was a glass of red wine all over Struthor's painting!

Oh, wait...........
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu May 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Quoting Laura from 19:40, 19th May 2005
Struthor's painting

Presumably one would have to take the glass of wine and loft it up into the air if it were to spill on the portrait of the then Principal and Vice-Chancellor...

Am quite taken by the idea of Struthor, though. I can just see him, Skeletor and Beast Man huddling around discussing the future of the University with Drs Motley and Tupy...

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu May 19, 2005 8:04 pm

Well, the painting is so bloody massive that it nearly touches the floor- he quite liked himself, didn't he.....

Yeah- a Thundercats version of Struther. He looks a bit like Skeletor- or alternatively, Mumra.

A drink fuelled spelling mistake, turned into another excuse to make up alternative Thundercats plots. Always good.

Edit; Because the Comms Secretary has just informed me of how out of touch I am in that Skeletor was a He-Man character, not a Thundercat.... : (
Laura

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri May 20, 2005 1:12 am

The Senate Room was in use as a venue for pre-debates drinks for around 12 years. No damage was ever done by the Debating Society, but there were a couple of instances of petty larceny during competitions. Which, given that certain wankers from our Society thought it a wizard wheeze to swipe extremely valuable and irreplaceable things frrom other universities, is hardly surprising.

The University wide ban on the use of the Senate Room is unfortunate, but I have to agree with the Convenor. If the kind of attitude exhibited both on this board and at the last debates I attended is telling - and it is - then i wouldn't trust people with the Senate Room. I would never attempt to deny that I enjoy a drink, but I don't recall setting out to be steaming before a debate, nor do I recall in previous years any group of people passing litres of gin to and fro and rejoicing in how clever they are at having smuggled it past the janitors and - which is worse - caring not a whit when wine and other staining alcohol gets spilled on the carpet.

Act like children, be treated like children. Doubtless Mr Vinton will consider this abrasive, but there it is.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Fri May 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 15:22, 19th May 2005
Quoting BenEsq from 14:24, 19th May 2005
Actually, I found it quite refreshing that at least one of the Iraqi Students was actually agnostic and expressing interest in members of the UDS in a way that can only be described as bi-curious.

Which member?

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.

Ramin teehee

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

For all the people who keep name-dropping the Foreign Office...

Postby Anon. on Fri May 20, 2005 3:51 pm

...it hasn't existed for the last 37 years.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri May 20, 2005 4:12 pm

Quite right, Mr Renouf. FCO, damn it!

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat May 21, 2005 12:55 am

It's hardly name-dropping to reference a body that organised an event we're discussing when the organisation is relevant to the discussion, even if the more commonly-utilised name was employed instead of its formally correct counterpart.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat May 21, 2005 1:23 am

Quoting David Bean from 03:55, 21st May 2005
It's hardly name-dropping to reference a body that organised an event we're discussing when the organisation is relevant to the discussion, even if the more commonly-utilised name was employed instead of its formally correct counterpart.

By utilised, do you mean used?

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat May 21, 2005 4:36 am

Mr Bean suffers lamentably from the overuse of such words, and he uses "tasked" as well, which makes me shudder! A career in management clearly beckons, and a good read through Dilbert should provide a range of other dandy neologisms with which to pain the public.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat May 21, 2005 11:04 am

And the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is not the counterpart of the Foreign Office either, being the merger of both the Commonwealth and the Foreign Office.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat May 21, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 07:36, 21st May 2005
Mr Bean suffers lamentably from the overuse of such words, and he uses "tasked" as well, which makes me shudder! A career in management clearly beckons, and a good read through Dilbert should provide a range of other dandy neologisms with which to pain the public.

What does that have to do with the price of fish?
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat May 21, 2005 3:44 pm

About as much as 90% of the other posts on here. I was merely passing remark.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun May 22, 2005 2:46 pm

Fair enough.
David Bean

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 23, 2005 7:37 pm

And I'm not entirely happy about 'reference' being a verb, either.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Mon May 23, 2005 7:55 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 22:37, 23rd May 2005
And I'm not entirely happy about 'reference' being a verb, either.

Why? If you can't have 'reference' as a transitive verb, then you similarly cannot have cross-reference.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society