Home

TheSinner.net

Graduands

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 30, 2005 6:42 am

Seeing as I\'m held in such affection by certain posters on this board...I graduated MA from/out of/into [delete as applicable] this University in 2004 before starting with Deloitte. as a trainee chartered accountant in the Channel Islands. Then I resigned, swapping one small-minded, back-biting and parochial community for another by returning here to get another job (amazingly, it\'s a bit difficult when you don\'t have a home in Britain - most people would just go running home to mother but that was not an option in my case, so I came back to the one place I knew well enough). That I have done, but you see the thing is that if you have paid up-front a 6-month lease sharing with two other people, it\'s not possible to up sticks and leave when you like; the contract has to be seen through to the end. Trust me, I would have left as soon as I could were it not for this. Life\'s too short to keep seeing the same morons about a place I thought I wouldn\'t have to return to in a hurry.

And you\'ve really shown me what a \"twat\" I am - your logic was flawless. Have you considered entering a competition?

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mat_salleh

[hr]

tintin

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 30, 2005 6:43 am

Seeing as I'm held in such affection by certain posters on this board...I graduated MA from/out of/into [delete as applicable] this University in 2004 before starting with Deloitte. as a trainee chartered accountant in the Channel Islands. Then I resigned, swapping one small-minded, back-biting and parochial community for another by returning here to get another job (amazingly, it's a bit difficult when you don't have a home in Britain - most people would just go running home to mother but that was not an option in my case, so I came back to the one place I knew well enough). That I have done, but you see the thing is that if you have paid up-front a 6-month lease sharing with two other people, it's not possible to up sticks and leave when you like; the contract has to be seen through to the end. Trust me, I would have left as soon as I could were it not for this. Life's too short to keep seeing the same morons about a place I thought I wouldn't have to return to in a hurry.

And you've really shown me what a "twat" I am - your logic was flawless. Have you considered entering a competition?

[hr]

[hr]

tintin

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 30, 2005 6:44 am

Seeing as I'm held in such affection by certain posters on this board...I graduated MA from/out of/into [delete as applicable] this University in 2004 before starting with Deloitte. as a trainee chartered accountant in the Channel Islands. Then I resigned, swapping one small-minded, back-biting and parochial community for another by returning here to get another job (amazingly, it's a bit difficult when you don't have a home in Britain - most people would just go running home to mother but that was not an option in my case, so I came back to the one place I knew well enough). That I have done, but you see the thing is that if you have paid up-front a 6-month lease sharing with two other people, it's not possible to up sticks and leave when you like; the contract has to be seen through to the end. Trust me, I would have left as soon as I could were it not for this. Life's too short to keep seeing the same morons about a place I thought I wouldn't have to return to in a hurry.

And you've really shown me what a "twat" I am - your logic was utterly flawless. Have you considered entering a competition?

[hr]

tintin

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 30, 2005 6:47 am

Apologies for the multiple deleted posts - problem posting onto the board.

And you've really shown me what a "twat" I am - your logic was utterly flawless. Have you considered entering a competition?
tintin

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 30, 2005 6:48 am

Quoting BasilSeal from 02:23, 30th May 2005
What\'s up with this Motley chap? I take it that somewhere not being worth a \"Motley thesis\" is a Bad Thing, so was his thesis ghastly, or especially good?

Well that's the thing you see - other than a handful of people (Wilson, Covino, myself) nobody on here would know. Mr Motley graduated some years ago, not only has nobody on here ever read his thesis, they've almost certainly met the man and know nothing about him.

It's one thing for people writing PhDs to comment on its quality, another entirely for others. However bad it may or may not be, I'd be cautious if I were an undergraduate about mocking the academic credentials of a man with a BA, an MLitt and a PhD. Maybe I'm just strange?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon May 30, 2005 6:59 am

Quoting exnihilo from 09:48, 30th May 2005
However bad it may or may not be, I'd be cautious if I were an undergraduate about mocking the academic credentials of a man with a BA, an MLitt and a PhD. Maybe I'm just strange?

No, you're not - it's just that some people think they know far more than they actually do: empty vessels making lots of noise, and all that.

[hr]

tintin

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 30, 2005 7:29 am

Quite so.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon May 30, 2005 11:28 am

I think the phrase you're looking for is "graduates from this University".

Depending on your interpretation of graduate status within this University and of reciprocal equivalence in such status between other ones, one becomes a graduate (through the process of graduation or otherwise) in this University in the same way a merchant apprentice is admitted into (not of) a guild. This is common for all universities which derive their structure from the Parisian model, which differes from the Bologna style in which the students are the University and the graduates/guild of masters were outside of it.
The point I'm trying to make, is that it is more correct to graduate into a University rather than from it.

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Mon May 30, 2005 11:42 am

Quoting exnihilo from 09:48, 30th May 2005
Well that's the thing you see - other than a handful of people (Wilson, Covino, myself) nobody on here would know.

Quite bizarrely, the Chancellor asked about him at the Board dinner some months back. Of course, on the day he became a doctor, the Chancellor said in my presence, "I say, did I just make Motley a doctor? I'll have to look into that..."

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Well, one can't knock the post-St Andrews success of Dr Eric "That boy's not all negro" Motley. Of course, anyone who wishes to inspect his doctoral thesis can go to the University library, where, by regulation, all theses must be lodged.

Incidentally, Mr Covino, are you graduating in June or November?

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Mon May 30, 2005 8:55 pm

If it was, it's not in the Library.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 30, 2005 8:57 pm

From that you may draw your own conclusions. I couldn't possibly say.

Cough... Struther Arnott... cough... Greta... cough...

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Mon May 30, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 23:35, 30th May 2005
Incidentally, Mr Covino, are you graduating in June or November?

Unless, in fact, there isn't a God (in which case 20 years of Catholic education will have been sorely for naught), I shall be getting capped once again come November. Even if I get hit with a barrage of corrections, I can't see there being any further horrific delays.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue May 31, 2005 9:07 pm

Well, I might well join you there, then. Imagine, two Fathers of the House in one ceremony! Even scarier, I shall be in employment by then.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby BasilSeal on Tue May 31, 2005 10:22 pm

Now, of course, my curiosity is piqued--indeed, peaked--and I'd love to know more about this Motley chap's career at St. Andrews! Anyone chaps privy to first-hand knowledge feel free to email me (as one academic St Andrews chap to another about a third) at jstaylor90 at msn dot com

Needless to say, I shall remain mum.

(And in case of credentials-worry, I have two MAs, an MLitt, a PhD, and I'm hoping for a St A D.Litt in a year or so!)
BasilSeal

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue May 31, 2005 11:13 pm

Quoting Al from 17:32, 27th May 2005
It was particularly heart-warming to see - in the photo of David Bean - such a charming hand signal from a member of the Society.

Indeed; I think Dave should have added, "Dislikes: Kaitlin Laird"! :)

But then, things like this are why God gave us Photoshop...
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Stuart on Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:10 am

Quoting David Bean from 02:13, 1st Jun 2005

But then, things like this are why God gave us Photoshop...

Amen.
Stuart

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society