Home

TheSinner.net

Censorship (and that Thesis)

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting RJ Covino from 18:27, 13th Jun 2005

I think I'll wait for it to appear on the big screen. I've discovered that all contracts for books tend to come with a rider about signing away the movie rights.

I had a physics teachers once who had written the penguin (or somesuch big publisher) dictionary of physics for A level students; he couldn't really be bothered to edit the 2nd edition a few years later as the money was crap, but his editor at the publisher somehow came up with a couple of grand extra for the movie rights to said dictionary to bump up his advance...

Re:

Postby Curiosity on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:19 pm

I'm absolutely fascinated by how this thread has managed to tantalise and tease. As someone who is familiar with the illustrious Dr Motley, I would be fascinated to learn the story as to how he obtained his PhD?
Curiosity

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:26 pm

In the normal fashion. Suggestions to the contrary are being made here by people who don't know him and were probably in Secondary School at the time, people who should be careful about making defamatory insinuations.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:30 pm

I was told the story by two gentlemen who frequent this board, and were around in the Motley era.

[hr]

Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:42 pm

Ah. Now I understand. You're a rumour-monger. Got it. I wonder what other fascinating gossip you've been spreading around without knowing the first thing about that of which you speak?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:13 am

Quoting exnihilo from 00:42, 15th Jun 2005
Ah. Now I understand. You're a rumour-monger. Got it. I wonder what other fascinating gossip you've been spreading around without knowing the first thing about that of which you speak?

Probably most of the malicious and unpleasant rubbish that he posts here I imagine.

[hr]
(edited for missing 'of' DOH!)

Nulla fere causa est, in qua non femina litem moverit
Juvenal 242
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 pm

Quoting Curiosity from 14:41, 14th Jun 2005
I would be fascinated to learn the story as to how he obtained his PhD?

Just like everybody else. Lots of hard work diligently delving into the dark crevices no other man dared.

Re:

Postby who the bejaysus is Motley? on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 19:26, 14th Jun 2005
In the normal fashion.

And so ends the story of Motley and his thesis, with everyone living happily ever after.
who the bejaysus is Motley?

Re:

Postby Curiosity on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:08 pm

Hmm, if it was truly "in the normal way" it's odd that so many stories of intervention from the highest level came into being. But obviously you know better than the rest of us.
Curiosity

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:15 pm

In this instance? Yes, I do.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 08:13, 15th Jun 2005

Probably most of the malicious and unpleasant rubbish that he posts here I imagine.

No, some rumours involve me having met people involved, and being entitled to my own opinion, and freedom of speech.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:54 pm

Freedom of speech does not permit you to make untrue statements about others. Nor does it permit you to defame them in public fora.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby not jules on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:04 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 17:54, 15th Jun 2005
Freedom of speech does not permit you to make untrue statements about others. Nor does it permit you to defame them in public fora.

In england at least, methinks it does - Libel and slander do not make it illegal to say untrue things about people, merely expensive.
not jules

Rumourmongering to historical source?

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:05 pm

That may or may not be the case for Jules in this instant, but your point raises an interesting question, where is the line between rumour-mongering and institutional oral memory?
(in that much of historical source material is made up and/or not true, eg plutarch)

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:59 pm

Quoting not jules from 18:35, 15th Jun 2005
In england at least, methinks it does - Libel and slander do not make it illegal to say untrue things about people, merely expensive.

By the same token, presumably exceeding speed limits, property damage and other minor offences are merely expensive as opposed to illegal?

[hr]

Will Watson. Medical Student. Cake Lover.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Curiosity on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:56 am

There is a slight distinction as the activities you have described are criminal, with potential for incarceration, while slander is strictly a matter of civil law. So yes, it is simply expensive rather than illegal. But truth is an absolute defence to any allegation of slander.
Curiosity

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting from 18:39, 15th Jun 2005
eg plutarch)

I protest most strongly to this slandering of the name of Plutarch! Typical that you do so only behind the veil of an unregistered user.

To pluck one example purely off the top of my head, for the customs and rituals of classical Sparta as were preserved down to his own time, Plutarch remains an incredible eye-witness. He has also been shown to be well-read and his research has been demonstrated to be well above the par for an ancient authority. On his citation technique see most recently Maldonado Samper, A. (2001) "Las citas de poetas helenísticos en Plutarco", in Misticismo y religiones mistéricas en Plutarco, pp. 545-552.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:25 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 17:54, 15th Jun 2005

Where was the defamation?. The original claim was that I had seen, touched and read Eric Motley's Thesis.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:23 pm

And you at no point implied any irregularity?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:26 pm

It was unlike anything I had ever read before, but I've never read a Thesis, so that could be it.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society