Home

TheSinner.net

Durham Opens?

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Durham Opens?

Postby kdc4 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:24 pm

Does anybody have relevant information concerning dates/times/other arrangements, etc. for people to book train tickets, etc?

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Results!

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:08 am

Many congratulations to John and Kizzy for their efforts at Durham at the Weekend. John, speaking with Kenny Fleming of the GUU (as team: ‘Cos John got dumped for sex’) broke to the final, where they lost out to Jonathon Clifton and Colletta Smith of ‘Ye Olde Durham A’, in a debate on the Catholic Churches proscription on the use of condoms in Africa. Kizzy chaired rooms all day, and then judged the final.
I imagine that the tab will be posted later on by someone who is on BD (I would but, for some reason I am not receiving the emails at the moment)
It is nice to see St Andreans doing so well at the end of almost unprecedented year of success. Obviously John and Jason have done superbly, winning Aberdeen, Dundee, and most importantly Durham IV, as well as making the Mace Final and narrowly missing the break at Euros, finalling at the GUU, and doubtless loads of other cool stuff as well. Of course they seem to be in competition since Jason finalled at Edinburgh in a composite, and John now has a Durham open final to his name.
However what makes this year so special is that St Andrew’s success is not limited to the inherent ability of two people. Doug and Connie have had an excellent novice season, winning Bogwall (where of course Dave and Simon broke as well) and finalling at Aberdeen, together with a series of very credible performances against some excellent debaters.
It is also good to see that St Andrews has been so represented in the adjudication world as well. Naturally John’s break at worlds was a huge high point, and it is so important to have at least one Grade One judge at the institution. But (yes I know it is sickening) Kizzy deserves a certain amount of respect for judging 19 finals this year, including GUU Ancients and of course Durham this weekend!
So congrats to all for an excellent year, and lets hope that next year even more silverware can be brought back to the town.

[hr]

Nulla fere causa est, in qua non femina litem moverit
Juvenal 242
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

As promised...

Postby Connie on Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:52 pm

I said I would write these on here when I got back, so here are our favourite quotes (or at least the ones I wrote down)...

Doug - "I don't miss the casual drinking. I just want to get wasted"

Ramin - "We want to protect paedophiles.. and kids"

Ramin - "Rach and I can do debauchery"
Rachael - "And we can do sex!"

Jazz - "I feel like a game of snooker"
Niall - "Shouldn't we move Connie first?"
Jazz - "Nah, we'll play around her!"

But my favourite..
Sally - "Wales should be independant..."

hahahahahahahahahaha - not funny!
Connie

Re:

Postby Sally on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:16 pm

Did I actually say that?!

I think that was enough revenge for registering me to speak WITHOUT ME SAYING I WOULD! (Sorry to everyone else in the room -Jazz, Doug, Rachel, Ramin and the team from Durham - for having to debate that!)

Have you done a copy of the Euros quotes list yet?
Sally

Euros quotes

Postby Connie on Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:00 pm

I do have all the quotes from euros. It would take up an entire page tho!

So a few of my favourites,

Rach :
'I need a malibu and coke - I haven't eaten this morning!'

John (there are so many and they're all offensive):

'Hmmm - if everyone was the same size as Connie think how many people we'd fit in this lift'

'If I wanted to watch the ESL final I would just go to freshers training'

'A tweed sofa is always good'

'We're all freaks somehow - some of us are gay, Connie, the welsh...'

Jason:

'I will make millions from my bed'

Jason to Sally and and John (both coughing)
'Look its St Andrews quarantine table'
John - 'yes - the ill and the welsh'

There are many more. Hope everyone is having a great summer!

xx
Connie

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:34 pm

Only those who have many years experience with debates know how quickly golden legacies can be squandered.

LPH as the cornerstone of the society has a lot to live up to this year, and IV success is as much about attracting and retaining talented speakers as training them and getting them out onto the circuit.

Besides which, there is still the big one left. St Andrews will never achieve international recognition as a serious debating institution unless it can make the break at Worlds.

But I'm cautiously optimistic that this year should be a good one. Only hard work, dedication, and a cracking social scene can guarantee that tho!

Not to detract from the successes of anyone within the society though - it's been a good year and all those who helped make it so should be lauded.
John Stewart

Return to Union Debating Society