Home

TheSinner.net

Semester 1 Training - Announcement

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Semester 1 Training - Announcement

Postby John Stewart on Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:40 pm

Training times and venues for this semester will be as follows:

IV Training

Wednesdays 2 - 5pm (Salad Bowl)

Public Speaking

Sundays 7.30 - 10pm (Committee Room / TV Room)

Advanced Training

Mondays 7.30 - 10pm (Committee Room)

--------------------------------------

Information

Training starts on Sunday.

Sunday and Wednesday sessions before the Maiden Speakers competition will be dedicated to preparing Freshers for Maidens and so Freshers should attempt to attend as many of these sessions in weeks 1-3 as possible.

Thereafter they will split into IV-style training on Wednesday afternoons (aimed at all speakers at all levels) and Public Speaking training on Sunday nights (aimed at those not necessarily interested in competitive debate).

Advanced sessions on Monday evenings will be by invitation only, and are for senior speakers (second years and above). I will speak to those I would like to attend these sessions in person over the next couple of days.

Any queries e-mail js67 or find me in the pub post-debate on wed night or at the freshers week open session on thurs afternoon in the union. Either that or my minions will happily inform you how it all works.

John Stewart
Chief Whip
John Stewart

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:37 am

To avoid confusion the original post (now edited) was wrong.

It now reads correct as:

Sunday and Wednesday sessions before the Maiden Speakers competition will be dedicated to preparing Freshers for Maidens

See you all on Sunday.

J
John Stewart

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks to all who came along to the Icebreaker session tonight.

The next session (on Wednesday) is entitled "Introduction to British Parliamentary" and is the beginning of the real training programme.

We'll be explaining how the format works, and the rules. We will also be trying to get everyone a first try at actually debating, and there will be feedback from our coaches.

See y'all there.

John
John Stewart

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:51 am

Thanks again to those who came on wednesday - another good session, and we saw some good and promising debating from you. The future is looking good for St Andrews this year if you stick at it and work hard.

The next session on sunday night is entitled "Presence and Style" and aims to work on your skills of engagement. There will be a few exercises aiming to build these, followed by more practice debates.

Priority will be given to those who didn't get a chance to speak on Wednesday - make yourself known at the appropriate point in the evening.

J
John Stewart

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:15 pm

Wednesday's session will be on "Structure, POIs and Note-Taking"

J
John Stewart

Re:

Postby emerald_lady on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:57 pm

Quoting John Stewart from 17:15, 3rd Oct 2005
Wednesday's session will be on "Structure, POIs and Note-Taking"

J

Could someone please remind me where we can get hold of those booklets? As I am unable to make all of the sessions I thought this may be of some use.
emerald_lady

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:50 pm

You email me - js67@st-andrews.ac.uk

And Sunday's session will be on "First Props and Clash" if I remember rightly!

J
John Stewart

Return to Union Debating Society