Home

TheSinner.net

Minutes

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:05 pm

Since the AGM is almost upon us, any chance of seeing the minutes posted?

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:34 pm

You're joking, right? You want recent minutes when there aren't any for any debate this academic year?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 23:34, 19th Mar 2006
You're joking, right? You want recent minutes when there aren't any for any debate this academic year?

Tor has, in all fairness, been pretty unwell for most of this year.

[hr]

It has been brought to my attention that certain people refer to me as a legend. Should you meet one of these people, maintain a safe distance and telephone the police. Under no circumstances attempt to deal with them by yourself.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:23 am

Fairness or not, that the minutes are so behind is just not on. If Madam Clerk has been unwell, someone else should have stepped up to the plate (and I'm a Clerk for a living, so I should know).

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:37 am

And more to the point, where is my dear old alumni newsletter? I do believe that not a single one has been issued. I do so love all these rash promises made when someone is elected to the Board of Ten. Experience has taught me to always be cynical about these things. Although I would think that the low amount (to the best of my knowledge, still standing at £0) alumni donations has something to do with this, which was a pillar of the fundraising activities of the UDS, last time I checked.
I would also appreciate some minutes.

Credit to Bryn though, at least we have a website. The last person charged with that singularly failed.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:36 pm

Every time I see this thread has been dragged to the top (this time by an unregistered user), a little hope rises in me that it heralds the arrival of minutes on the website. Sadly, every time my hope is dashed.

Do we not think minutes should appear? Surely, as we make the promise to people that their speech will be entered into our historic minute books, we ought to make good on it.

And, certainly, as an external speaker, I'd like to see how I was recorded for posterity. As, I suspect, would others.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dickie on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting RJ Covino from 18:11, 11th Oct 2005That said, I find the minutes rather amusing. Anybody who doesn't like them, well, I guess that they'll have to be stabbed in the face.

The Minute are "nothing more than an archaic throwback with no purpose, rather like Mr. Dickie Douglas."(1)
And as such should be kept upto date and available to all online as I am!!!!!

(1)http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~debates/the_magistrands_debate.pdf

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Indeed. Kudos for the website.

However...

...not that I wish to complain, but have any minutes been taken at all this year? Is there anyone - say the Clerk, perhaps - who could answer this question? Please?

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Yet again we go another year without minutes. Which makes it 3 years at my count.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Dickie from 13:37, 11th Apr 2006

The Minute are "nothing more than an archaic throwback with no purpose, rather like Mr. Dickie Douglas."(1)
And as such should be kept upto date and available to all online as I am!!!!!

(1)http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~debates/the_magistrands_debate.pdf

Unfortunately that wasn't a great debate. I seem to remember that the debate wasn't very funny - I only made one joke that night, and it wasn't even rude.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Dickie from 13:37, 11th Apr 2006

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~debates/th ... debate.pdf

It was Sir Alan. I told her a million times.

[hr]

Mmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting from 13:10, 11th Apr 2006
...not that I wish to complain, but have any minutes been taken at all this year? Is there anyone - say the Clerk, perhaps - who could answer this question? Please?

I think we must at this stage assume that they've been taken as read...

[hr]

Mmmm, cake.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:00 am

It's becoming a trifle absurd. I don't mean that jocularly, it really is. And an affront to everyone who speaks on LPH. Sort it out, you feckless shower.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby divine graduate on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Even if the outgoing clerk could post on this board something along the lines of "I am sorry for the delay in posting minutes, these will be posted by such and such a date but I am busy with my exams right now" would be an improvement.. I do not think anyone is baying for blood, however, there are a number of graduates who have long since severed any link with St Andrews who would dearly love to bask in nostalgia.
divine graduate

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:28 pm

The delay in the minutes this year pales in comparisson with the delays to those in years past, given that those for the past two years haven't even appeared yet. For this year, we already have completed (and excellent) minutes for the first few debates, and the others are a work in progress - many of them already nearing completion. I can't speak as to how quickly the minutes will be posted on the web site once they're submitted, of course. But why criticise this immediate past Clerk for not having finished all of them yet with an end in sight, at a time when no Clerk to the House for the past six years, other than myself and she, has yet sumbitted anything at all?

If anyone is interested in the minutes of the NHS Debate, I was clerking that night and I typed them up and submitted them to the former Clerk during the Easter break, so I can easily email them to anyone who asks.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:03 pm

Quoting David Bean from 17:28, 12th Apr 2006
But why criticise this immediate past Clerk for not having finished all of them yet with an end in sight, at a time when no Clerk to the House for the past six years, other than myself and she, has yet sumbitted anything at all?

so... you're happy because the clerk has exceeded the very low standards that were previously set, rather than the standards that would be expected of most other societies?

I don't think that it's unusual or an exceptional request for members of the UDS to want to see minutes for the last debating year.

it would also be quite a nice tribute to the outgoing convenor, would it not?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:39 pm

It's a pretty light obligation. No Board member is overworked, and few Association officers come close to it. How, when these people fail utterly to discharge the negligible duties of their office will they manage in the "real world" in jobs?

I minuted SRC and UMC, both, for a year, I was very ill at the time and I was also Rector's Assessor - but all the work got done in a timeous and professional manner. And I'm far from unique in the annals of our University.

And don't talk to me about academic obligations, university courses have never been as easy as they are now and still people in previous years managed to juggle a couple of elected posts and get a good degree.

Where has this reprehensible slackness arisen from? This toleration of mediocrity or doenright worthlessness? Does nobody care?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Cain from 18:03, 12th Apr 2006so... you're happy because the clerk has exceeded the very low standards that were previously set, rather than the standards that would be expected of most other societies?

No, and neither am I particularly happy about your scarcely-disguised straw man tactics. Rather, I'm happy because she's actually doing them, they're being posted and they're available - and as I pointed out earlier, anyone who's salivating in particularly great volumes about this year's minutes can have the Medical Debate's minutes any time they like.

[hr]

David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:01 pm

What a non answer. Anyone who is interested in the minutes can have one set and like it? Pathetic.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 13:01, 14th Apr 2006
What a non answer. Anyone who is interested in the minutes can have one set and like it? Pathetic.

Considering that only one other clerk in the past six years has submitted any minutes at all, you should be grateful.

[hr]

Cain

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society