Home

TheSinner.net

This semster's term card

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

This semster's term card

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Any idea when we can expect news of what debates are coming up?

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 18:54, 5th Jan 2006
Any idea when we can expect news of what debates are coming up?

[hr]

I'm holding back on them for the minute in case I have to swap them around. I can tell you that due to The Courier Final, The Marquess of Bute, one social event and the Inter-Residence competition, there will only be four debates organised by myself- the rag week debate is being held in conjunction with the AIDS committee and will focus on that subject, there is a literary debate (which we will be welcoming Ms. Murray back for) and obviously my solatium- which will feature the Lord Rector along with my very favourite MSP..

Laura

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting Laura from 23:30, 5th Jan 2006
(which we will be welcoming Ms. Murray back for)

Ace.

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:38 am

Well do let us all know a.s.a.p., so we can make any necessary plans.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting exnihilo from 00:38, 6th Jan 2006
Well do let us all know a.s.a.p., so we can make any necessary plans.

Well, I would tell you- but haven't seen you online.

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:30 am

Really? I almost always am.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Bryn on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:44 pm

I should think we'll get up a proper term card just before term starts.

[hr]

http://bryn.ipfox.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting Laura from 23:30, 5th Jan 2006 and obviously my solatium- which will feature the Lord Rector along with my very favourite MSP..

Oh God, don't tell me Caroline Leckie's coming back again!

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting David Bean from 20:04, 6th Jan 2006
Quoting Laura from 23:30, 5th Jan 2006 and obviously my solatium- which will feature the Lord Rector along with my very favourite MSP..

I'm just glad that Positive Action in Housing lost its funding from the Scottish Executive.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Laura on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting David Bean from 20:04, 6th Jan 2006

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.

Oh God... I can just see what started as a joke from you turning into a mass belief that I've invited Caroline Leckie to take part in the solatium...
Although I'm not exactly sure why she popped into your mind- I wouldn't consider myself to appear a natural supporter of the SSP... lol
The Lord Rector and Ms Leckie would be a slightly strange combination : )

[hr]

Laura

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:41 pm

It's going to be SO much fun :D:D:D:D

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/
POTS and Vasovagal Syncope- not for the *faint* hearted
See me in my wheelchair? Keep staring--I might do a trick!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby chris on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:58 pm

Are any other speakers decided for the literary debate yet? Also, i've never debated before but would like to go to training this semester. Does anyone know who i can contact about that?
chris

Re:

Postby Laura on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting chris from 20:58, 8th Jan 2006
Are any other speakers decided for the literary debate yet? Also, i've never debated before but would like to go to training this semester. Does anyone know who i can contact about that?

We have contacted the English Department and Film Studies Department for help finding speakers for that particular debate.
For info on training contact the chief whip on rew25.

[hr]

Laura

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting Laura from 04:11, 7th Jan 2006
Although I'm not exactly sure why she popped into your mind- I wouldn't consider myself to appear a natural supporter of the SSP... lol

Oh, you know, just picked the most offensive one I could think of - maybe it should've been Rosie Kane ;)

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Dickie on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:16 pm

When is the next Debate?
What is the motion?
Who is speaking?

Just while I am on this, what has happened to the minutes of the BOT on the Web site they seem to be a wee bit out of date.
Dickie

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:56 pm

So...

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:35 am

To add a bit of spice and intrigue to Debates, the minutes and termcard have been hidden in a secret location somewhere in St Andrews. All people have to do is solve the clues. The answers will lead them to the hidden treasure.

Either that, or little things like life, death and exams are getting in the way of the website being updated. Someone should complain. Someone probably will.
Al

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:57 am

Well, I only posted because I was under the impression that there had been a BoT meeting yesterday.

And I was bored.

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:43 am

I never pass up an opportunity to be snide.
Al

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:30 pm

Not at all, I enjoy a feeling of drama. I'm currently envisioning a crazy treasure hunt that winds up in a deserted ward of Mount Melville, with a high-backed chair slowly spinning around to reveal Beany stroking a white cat...

[hr]

Dave the Explosive Newt

Next

Return to Union Debating Society