Home

TheSinner.net

ICYD

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

ICYD

Postby Kizzy on Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello all,
Apologies for the deblay in publicising this. As some of you may know, there were difficulties at our ICYD round, as two invitation letters were sent out, one of which inviting teams under 15 and the other inviting teams of 15 and under. Obviously this caused some problems in terms of eligibility for the break, as there were teams who were technically over the lower age limit, but in a position to break to finals day.

Oxford, who were centrally convening this year's competition, asked us to hold off publicising the tab until they had resolved this issue, which they now have. They're going to hold two competitions on finals day, one for the under 15s, and one for the under 16s, with corresponding prizes for winners and best speakers on tab etc. We're now, therefore in a position to release the tab (position, school, eligibility, speakers, total speaker points, team points).

1 RGC B (u16): Michael Sim; Joy Molyneuax; 466; 9
2 AGS A: Natalie Smith; Timothy Coleman; 453; 7
3 Grove: Margaret Nicoll; Clare Richardson; 454; 6
4 AGS B: Finn Blake; David McCreath; 427; 6
5 RGC A (u16): Joanna Farmer; Katherine Duncan; 452; 5
6 Mary Erskine B (u16): Risga Carson; Beth Howe; 433; 5
7 HSoD B: Matthew Powry; Scott Ralston; 432; 5
8 St Andrews Swing B: (Beth and Kate); 431; 5
9 Dollar A: Carys Williamson; Katie Trim 430; 5
10 St Columba's B: Louise Paterson; Hannah Reilly; 421; 5
11 St Andrews Swing A: (Chris and Michelle); 418; 4
12 HSoD A: Lauren Pringle; Christine Reid; 430; 3
13 Mary Erskine A: Ailsa Leen; Catherine Aitken; 416; 3
14 George Heriots: Alastair Thornton; Jonathan Brown; 405; 2
15 St Columba's A: Tessa Robins; Rebecca Meredith; 407; 1
16 RGC C: Ashara Taylor; Ruth Duncan; 396; 1

Teams breaking as under-15s therefore are:
Aberdeen Grammar A
Grove
Aberdeen Grammar B
High School of Dundee B
Dollar A

Teams breaking as under-16s are those who tabbed in the top 5, but couldn't break as under-15. They are:
Robert Gordon's B
Robert Gordon's A

Hope this is clear - further explanations if people want them can be found at www.icyd.com

Kizzy,
Tab Queen!
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:22 am

That RGB B team is awesome - I reckon they'll devestate Worlds in a few years time. I've been really impressed with them the last few times that I've seen them.

[hr]

"Oh, and say hi to Dardar for me. I simulated a sex act with him that was broadcast on the internet last year."
I meet people in interesting ways.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting Mr Comedy from 01:22, 13th Feb 2006
That RGB B team is awesome - I reckon they'll devestate Worlds in a few years time. I've been really impressed with them the last few times that I've seen them.

They were damn good. Any kid that takes an 81 from me, and manages to find unknown depths in the interesting Oxf motions about continual assessment vs exams deserves a medal, or something shiny at least.

They've actually come on loads since the start of the year - where did you see them speak last, Dave? Tell me you haven't been corrupting kiddles down south...
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:28 pm

I've tried to corrupt children, but the police know where I live. Actually, that's a damn good idea. I'll teach children to be breathtakingly rude in debates.

I last saw them speak in the Courier Final, or something like that at the end of the year. I was Father of the House, and uncharacteristically sober.

[hr]

"Oh, and say hi to Dardar for me. I simulated a sex act with him that was broadcast on the internet last year."
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:04 pm

Yes I remember you being sober Dave, it was something to do with me threatening to let Fife Constabulary know your address! Blackmail is such a dirty word!
Seriously, I completely agree with everything Kizzy said. In particular I know John and I were impressed with the Grove team in the last round, who absolutely destroyed the room.
Of course that team were runners up in the Courier last year (RGC A and B were also finalists, while the Aberdeen Grammar speakers were also involved!), so naturally they are all incredibly talented and able.

Having talked about the quality though, a less than impressive moment came when a St Andrean swing debater, who will remain nameless, referred to the ‘Greek Empire’ in the first round debate on the Elgin Marbles. Methinks they need to take a visit to Swallowgate!

[hr]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:24 pm

I do believe that another certain St Andrews debater got banned from speaking as a swing debater in schools competitions for using the word 'spunk' and the phrase 'blow your load' in a debate on African policy. Sorry guys...

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:55 am

You weren't talking about the Catholic Church were you?

[hr]

Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 14:04, 13th Feb 2006
Having talked about the quality though, a less than impressive moment came when a St Andrean swing debater, who will remain nameless, referred to the ‘Greek Empire’ in the first round debate on the Elgin Marbles. Methinks they need to take a visit to Swallowgate!

Surely it can be successfully argued that a Greek empire did exist, it just fell rather early on.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

'Greek Empire'?

Postby Epeeduelist84 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:55 am

'Surely it can be successfully argued that a Greek empire did exist, it just fell rather early on.'

A 'Greek empire' would require a united 'Greek' political entity, sooo unless you're willing to count Alexander the Great as Greek (which his Greek contemporaries didn't) or are discussing the Successor States of the Hellenistic Period (Egypt's an interesting example), or maybe the colonies of Athens and Sparta in Italy and elsewhere in the 5th Century, or even making a judgment about the amount of 'Greek' influence in the Dominate...
Epeeduelist84

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 23:24, 13th Feb 2006
I do believe that another certain St Andrews debater got banned from speaking as a swing debater in schools competitions for using the word 'spunk' and the phrase 'blow your load' in a debate on African policy. Sorry guys...

Well, it was the complaints from the teachers as well as from the judges in that round that really clinched that decision. Otherwise load-blowing and spunk are obviously the primary things to talk about at schools level.

But...African policy? Which debate were you in? Could have been the one on 3rd world debt, I suppose. The best bit of that round was when a good speaker outlined his points at the start of his speech, which had me looking somewhat sceptical, whereupon he continued, 'and bear with me on that last one, Kirsty: I know it sounds dodgy, but it'll be good by the time I get to it, honest.'

Made me giggle anyway...
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting Tweedle-Dum from 11:33, 14th Feb 2006
Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 14:04, 13th Feb 2006

Surely it can be successfully argued that a Greek empire did exist, it just fell rather early on.

[hr]

Afraid that there was never a 'Greek Empire'. There was an Athenian Empire, and I believe a Theban one, but since Greece as a state wasn't constituted until it was conquered, it is inaccurate to refer to the collection of city-states, or polis, as a single united nation.
Obviously there was Alexander the Great, who unified the Polis, but since he was: Macedonian, drank his wine without water, stabbed his best friend, and burnt the city of Persepolis down in a drunken rage; I don't really think he counts as Greek.

[hr]

Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Chris on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:26 pm

Hmm, I dont know whether to be proud of being the worst swing team or sad...
Chris

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 13:50, 14th Feb 2006
Afraid that there was never a 'Greek Empire'.

If one was in a puckish mood, one could describe the Byzantine Empire as 'Greek': they spoke Greek, and everyone regarded them as Greek. Of course, even up to the last, they called themselves Roman...

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 09:55, 14th Feb 2006
You weren't talking about the Catholic Church were you?

[hr]

Edmund Burke

No. If I was talking about the Catholic church I think I would have also mentioned kiddy-fiddling.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

ICYD Results

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Mon May 01, 2006 9:59 am

For the interest of all those who helped on the day, and to alleviate the embarrassment of our Swing teams, here are the results from the ICYD Finals day at Oxford.
Those who were there on the day will know that the organisers have a little bit of a cock-up with age registration, so there were two competitions on Finals day, one for U-16’s and the rest were U-15. I have tried to keep the two separate.
The under-16’s Competition was won by Robert Gordon’s A (Katherine Duncan and Joanna Farmer) while Robert Gordon’s A (Michael Sim and Joy Molyneux) also broke to the final. Katherine was best speaker in the Final, and Joanna topped the Speaker Tab.

Under 16’s Speaker Tab.

1 Vitoria Maish St. George’s D 68.5
JOANNA FARMER Robert Gordon’s B 68.5
3 Sukey Elsesser Tunbridge Wells A 68
JOY MOLYNEAUX Robert Gordon’s A 68
Francesca Kettle St. George’s D 68
6 KATHERINE DUNCAN Robert Gordon’s B 67

11 MICHAEL SIM Robert Gordon’s A 64.5

24 India Perry Wolverhampton Grammar 54.5

Under 15’s.

Again a very strong showing, with all our teams very comfortably placed.

Team Tab

1 Leeds Grammar B 193.5
2 Newstead Wood A 189
3 Habs A 1 185
4 RGS C 1 183
5 Grove Academy 184.5
6 City of London A 1 182.5
7 Dundee B 182
8 Wallington A 166.5
9 Aberdeen Grammar A 183

19 Dollar Academy A 179

22 Aberdeen Grammar B 172

64 Swing C 4 139

Team Tab

1 Claire Moulange Newstead Wood A 98
2 Gregory Farquhar Leeds Grammar B 97
3 Sebastian Farquhar Leeds Grammar B 96.5
4 Edward Schwitzer Habs A 95
Clare Richardson Grove Academy 95
6 Natalie Smith Aberdeen Grammar A 93.5
7 Robert von't Hoff City of London A 93
Hugo Wallis RGS C 93
9 Peter Dowell Norwich School D 92
Joe Reddington Ipswich A 25 19 25 23 92
Matthew Powrie Dundee B 92
12 Katie Trim Dollar Academy A 91

15 Scott Ralston Dundee B 90

19 Timothy Coleman Aberdeen Grammar A 89.5
Margaret Nicoll Grove Academy 89.5

28 Carys Williamson Dollar Academy A 88

35 David McCreath Aberdeen Grammar B 87

47 Finn Blake Aberdeen Grammar B 85

128 Jessie Swing C 68

[hr]

Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 pm

As pleasing as it is to see the young ones do well, would you be kind enough to publish the motions Ewan?

Many thanks.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Just for you comedy!

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue May 02, 2006 8:13 am

THW discontinue all manned space exploration

THB States should not provide funding for elite athletes

THW not negotiate with terrorist organisations who deliberately harm civilians

4 (only U15s)
THW permit schools to stream children into either vocational education at a technical college or academic education at a school at the age of 14

U16 Final
THB the unemployed should work on community service programmes in return for the dole

U15 Final
THB States should force clinically obese children to attend residential weight-loss programmes regardless of parental consent

[hr]

Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue May 02, 2006 12:19 pm

cheers big ears!

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Tue May 02, 2006 1:08 pm

I'm glad to see you're both so active and productive within your workplaces!
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue May 02, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 13:19, 2nd May 2006
cheers big ears!

[hr]

Big Ears? Sounds like something got lost in the rumour mill :P

[hr]

Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Return to Union Debating Society