Home

TheSinner.net

Solatium Debate

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Solatium Debate

Postby Donald Renouf on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:51 pm

What's the motion for the debate on Wednesday? I can't get www.debatingsociety.org.uk to work for me at the moment, for some reason.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Try http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~debates/ old man, although that's unfortunately not of that much help in this case. As I recall, the motion is on ethical investment and one of the speakers will be the Lord Rector, Simon Pepper.

[hr]

It has been brought to my attention that certain people refer to me as a legend. Should you meet one of these people, maintain a safe distance and telephone the police. Under no circumstances attempt to deal with them by yourself.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:18 am

Planning on making an appearance, Renouf?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Laura on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:47 pm

'This House Believes Universities Should Invest Ethically', featuring the Ethical Investment Campaign, the Lord Rector Simon Pepper OBE, Robin Harper MSP (Rector of Aberdeen and head of the Scottish Green Party), a representative of GIG and Tom Miers, the Executive Director of the Policy Institute.

Dinner to follow at 10pm with a drinks reception, three courses and live music for £20 (only four tickets left!)

Laura.

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:30 pm

Quoting Laura from 13:47, 19th Mar 2006
'This House Believes Universities Should Invest Ethically', featuring the Ethical Investment Campaign, the Lord Rector Simon Pepper OBE, Robin Harper MSP (Rector of Aberdeen and head of the Scottish Green Party), a representative of GIG and Tom Miers, the Executive Director of the Policy Institute.

Dinner to follow at 10pm with a drinks reception, three courses and live music for £20 (only four tickets left!)

Laura.

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."

Who is in opp?

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting exnihilo from 01:18, 19th Mar 2006
Planning on making an appearance, Renouf?

Well, I've just e-mailed Mr Rollings to ask if there are any tickets left.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Anon. on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Donald Renouf from 00:06, 20th Mar 2006

...and damn it he still hasn't replied and I won't be able to check my e-mails until tomorrow evening.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Anon. from 23:13, 20th Mar 2006
Quoting Donald Renouf from 00:06, 20th Mar 2006

...and damn it he still hasn't replied and I won't be able to check my e-mails until tomorrow evening.

Well, it's nice to have a bit of drama in one's life.

[hr]

It has been brought to my attention that certain people refer to me as a legend. Should you meet one of these people, maintain a safe distance and telephone the police. Under no circumstances attempt to deal with them by yourself.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:45 am

Well, as I now can't make it, it seems likely there is a ticket left over assuming the demand hasn't been so great that that one's gone too.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:27 am

Sorry sorry sorry if anyone read that. It was needlessly offensive and I grovel in mortification. Write out 200 times "Drink and the internet do not mix"...

But yes! I hope it all goes well this evening.
Anon.

Return to Union Debating Society