Home

TheSinner.net

A frustrating day

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Why is it then when I say things on this board someone always challenges my recollection? I didn't hallucinate these announcements, but the fact that I can't cite the date and the motion does not invalidate my memory of it having happened!
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:55 pm

Perhaps it is because we are debaters and feel the need to debate/discuss/argue/challenge everything?

[hr]

"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Henry Evans on Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:58 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 15:38, 20th Apr 2006
Why is it then when I say things on this board someone always challenges my recollection? I didn't hallucinate these announcements, but the fact that I can't cite the date and the motion does not invalidate my memory of it having happened!

If the presidents of the Tory association for the last three years can only recall one instance of it happening (and even then, as Stuart notes, only when specifically asked to do so by the convenor) I hardly think that it is unreasonable for us to ask. Your post implied that Tory announcements have been very common recently and Stuart and I disagree.
Henry Evans

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:00 pm

I did not say common. I said it had happened - which is more likely, that I am remembering something which did not happen or that others are failing to remember or were not present for something which did?

I am willing to concede that there may have been passing references in floor speeches rather than formal announcements, but the fact of it still sticks in my mind. I am not noted for my hallucinatory experiences.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby TC on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Just to clear up a few points. I realise that I may have broken some rule or other announcing a Liberal Democrat event in the Chambre a few months ago. As Alex pointed out I was/am a wee first year who has only recently begun to understand the full rules of the society. I certainly dont think that it was unfair for Stewart to have his say. Henry is also right in that I cant think of another incident like this happening this year. So appoligies to anyone who may have been offended by the incident.

On the point that the society is too right wing, I would say it is important to keep things in perspective. The society has a large number of opinions represented within it. In fact on the current BoT I would say that there was a very balanced mix. What the society does seem to have is a large Tory contingent. I have never thought that this was really that much of a problem, in fact I rather like being able to argue the finer points of politics and to defend the Lib Dems. Furthermore I think that a big problem is not necessarily the society, but the unfair view of some on the left that the society is merely an extension of the Tory party. I have lost count of the number of times I have had to explain to people that it isnt! It is a forum for all political opinions and I would love it if more from the left would join us in LPH on a regular basis.

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:20 pm

"I rather like being able to argue the finer points of politics and to defend the Lib Dems"

Ever heard of the term mutually exclusive! :)

One of the ways that might help in our perception to the student body might be to phrase motions in such a manner so that it appears we are endorsing a more left-wing agenda. There are not that many policy debates in LPH anyway - so opposing the status quo is less vital.
Just thinking of Blairs era when it seemed every motion appeared to endorse a right-wing perspective. I know that doesn't mean that House does, but it is a little thing that could help.

Also not every inviting racists again might help :)

[hr]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 pm

The debates were well attended and recieved in the Blair year.

I don't think positive discrimination towards a left wing agenda is necessary nor desireable.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:59 pm

"Just thinking of Blairs era when it seemed every motion appeared to endorse a right-wing perspective."

My immediate thought on reading this was "Well, they would do." And then I realised that it wasn't Tony Blair's era that was meant.
Al

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:20 pm

On the subject of announcements by political clubs, I seem to recall it becoming relatively prevalent towards the end of Mr Schama's convenorship. Miss Fletcher, who followed, disapproved and it became less common. If it has reared its head again since I left in 2004, I could not say.

On the subject of drunkenness and bad behaviour, it's a matter of judgement. High spirits (in every sense) are certainly not to be discouraged, and may sometimes be welcomed. I gave one of the best speeches of my life, for eight minutes, without notes, after a few light ales with Messrs Joss and Douglas in the Byre. I spoke against the monarchy - most amusing. But I was not rowdy, nor incoherent, not offensive. If someone is for any reason any of those things, it is up to the Convenor to deal with it. Mr Douglas may recall (or, on reflection, may not) that I had to ask him to moderate himself when I chaired a debate, oh, five years ago now, as he was becoming a little too high-spirited. To Mr Douglas's credit, when I stood, and reminded him that if I was on my feet he ought not to be, he complied and was better behaved. But the onus is on the Speaker - it is one of the responsibilities which accompanies the privileges of the office which he or she sought.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting Ewan MacDonald from 16:20, 20th Apr 2006

Also not every inviting racists again might help :)

Indeed, Rabina Quareshi really was a cunt.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:03 pm

Perhaps the problem is not so much the drinking per se but some of the people drinking. After all, drinking and debates have gone hand in hand for as long as I can remember and yet there was never the shameful behaviour described on various recent threads.
Al

Re:

Postby Stuart on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Is it just me, or has drinking only become a problem since we stopped the pre-debate sherry?
Stuart

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Quite so, Al.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 pm

Quoting Alex Jennings from 11:44, 20th Apr 2006
I indeed find it frightening that I am the only person on the BoT that remembers debates Pre-Peter.

No you aren't, Alex. I, however, am the only person on the Board of Ten who remembers debates pre-Weigler, which is why I find the substitution of 'Weigler' for 'Kitson' in the Old Debater line to be a little... premature.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Tut, messing about with my song.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:24 pm

Excuse me, our song. But not "Our Song", obviously.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:36 pm

No indeed, Mr Wilson, my apologies.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:39 pm

Da nada, mia pussycat.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:45 pm

Sorry David - I was merely pointing out that of those that have been recently elected, I am the oldest and longest serving. You won't be on the Board next year after you've moved on to greener pastures.

As for the line in the Old Debater, it was changed because at many debates dinners there actually wasn't anyone who was around when Kitson was here. Apologies for messing with the song - I have always viewed it as an oral history of the society to be adapted and handed down.

Is that naive? Is that so bad?

[hr]

Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:54 pm

No, Miss Jennings, you have a point. As Mr Kitson departed for pastures new (Richard Whiteley looky-likey etc), what, eight or nine years ago, his name is likely to be somewhat puzzling to current members.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society