Home

TheSinner.net

Website!

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 13:29, 12th Dec 2006
Well, I'm going to be told off again for always being critical, and, yet, I can't help but note that nothing much else has changed on there, still no actual calendar dates, for example.

You must realise that through online information is pretty much the only way graduates have of finding out what's happening in the Society - seeing as despite signing up for it there doesn't seem to have been an alumnus email.

For all the touting of it on the website, alumni relations seem not to be happening - indeed when I emailed with a direct question I was told I'd be got back to and then ... nothing.

Still, nice to have some pictures. Probably.

Still, this is the first actual action that has been taken by the BoT in years regarding alumni, and therefore is nice to see that some effort is being undertaken at last.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:02 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 14:53, 12th Dec 2006

1) I don't believe that you are allowed to use Association Gowns for floor speeches;

You are now; Association types rarely speak these days anyway, so it's more a novelty in that regard than anything else.

In any case, she was talking about SS issues - AIDS week, whatnot.

On the topic of the webpage, though, is it just me that finds the interface for the photos to be monumentally frustrating?

Also, if Frank could take a photo with me in it where I'm not rolling my eyes, that'd be nice.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting Jessica from 15:08, 6th Oct 2006
The new website is offering us ads (how much??? I hear the tinkle of money in the bank!) on our own site, ads in linkup emails, on-the-web dinner ticket purchases, hoodie and bowtie sales, photo gallery, and (wait for it...) a LIVE ticker!

Should be up and running soon.

How much of this have we actually seen?
Kizzy

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:51 pm

I also see that a student has made a floor speech wearing the Student Support Officer gown. Two things to note:

What glorious dichotomy, sex OK in a gown that does not belong to you and some poor shmuck is going to be wearing in the future.

But floor speeches in it... beyond the pale!
ChrisH

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting ChrisH from 23:51, 12th Dec 2006
I also see that a student has made a floor speech wearing the Student Support Officer gown. Two things to note:

What glorious dichotomy, sex OK in a gown that does not belong to you and some poor shmuck is going to be wearing in the future.

But floor speeches in it... beyond the pale!

But, had one read closely enough to debates threads that have passed, the "gown off rule" has long since been overturned.

Gownsex, on the other hand, is a tradition. Do try to keep up.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Lid from 02:00, 13th Dec 2006
Gownsex, on the other hand, is a tradition. Do try to keep up.

Boom boom.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:48 pm

Quoting Lid from 02:00, 13th Dec 2006
But, had one read closely enough to debates threads that have passed, the "gown off rule" has long since been overturned.

Quite right: burning that ridiculous rule was one of my first acts as DoSDA. It was simple: all we did was state as a matter of policy that someone wearing the gown would not automatically be assumed to be speaking (or doing anything in particular) on behalf of the Association. Simple, really.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:48 pm

And, again, hopelessly unneccessary. The ban was an absurdity because officers are NOT deemed to be speaking on behalf of the Association unless they are the President. Removing the ban was simply a restatement of the status quo and should never have been called for. Who started the idiocy anyway? I certainly wore my green-faced or purple gown and should have had no truck whatever with anyone telling me nay.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting exnihilo from 17:48, 13th Dec 2006
Who started the idiocy anyway?

When James North was the Association Chair, he used to remove the Chair's gown and swap it for one of the undergraduate variety. All very flamboyant and theatrical. The idiocy, as per, snowballed from there.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Back from the dead, the thread about the website. There is still no useful information on there about when debates are being held. It's all well and good being on the mailing list, but it doesn't let you plan anything in advance.

No doubt I'll be told off for being negative again but I don't really care as I - and I'm sure most other interested alumni - have now abandoned any hope of ever being invited back or given any sort of information that would enable us to do so for ourselves.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Despite the massive Courier induced hangover I shall try and explain the matter.

Gremlins.

Or something, for the last quite some time Jess has been unable to change anything on the website due to some sort of bug in how it was working. Oli Walker now says this is fixed so information should now flow freely.
ChrisH

Re:

Postby Jessica on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:25 pm

What Chris explained is true. Also the Internet in my flat is down.

I've just updated it for the next debate, the next IV competition, and recent successes (including Worlds). The Solatium date will be posted soon.

I'll be trying to updated it as much as possible this coming couple of days. Elections are also coming up (hence everyone being a bit busy) but that's really no excuse for me, so I'll get on it so that the alums can be informed.

xxx
Jessica

YOU HAVE HAD ALL SUMMER!!!

Postby Dickie on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Would someone please update the website, if you go to some of the pages it is still using out of date names.
All that is required is to look at ALL the pages and check that the names are changed or to prevent this from happening again refer to Job Title and refrain from using names at all times.

I also hope that the POLL will change!

Since the WebSite is the probable first contact from outside (inc. poss. Sponsors) it is VITAL to have the right information on public show.

Whist I am here, when are more minutes going to be posted?

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby Jessica on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Dually noted.
Jessica

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm

I like the old minutes up on the website a lot - largely because I've managed to make immature jokes in 3 of them that have made the minutes, which I'm pleased about...

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:32 pm

As far as I can establish, practically every word I ever said in LPH went unminuted or was consumed by some kind of minute-eating monster. Sigh.

(PS - duly, not dually.)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Jos Dad on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting exnihilo from 19:32, 1st Oct 2007
(PS - duly, not dually.)

I thought about making that observation, but concluded that the comment was to be noted both in the minutes and on the website.

( in passing, in my sole appearance on the web minutes I seem to have a mirror image in that every reference I made to the political right was recorded as "left"!)
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby ChrisH on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:02 pm

Since the website has come up again could people possibly say what they think of the site. I'm slightly biased as I worked with Jess on the "old" site before the current yourunion one went up.

Personally I hate the union (as in the whole thing) site in general and never can find the information I'm after. The debates site seems to be a pig to look after and impossible to get looking nice. We changed for the possibility of various advantages that don't seem to have surfaced.
ChrisH

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:06 pm

In an effort for this thread to avoid descending into a 'bash Jess for the website' spectacular, perhaps people who think there are problems with the website as it is at the moment could put together a list of concerns here?

It could be a productive way of us progressing towards something more useful than the current site. For my part, I think that Dickie has a point about sponsors, and that this section of the site could be improved.
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Sorry - double posting
Kizzy

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society