Home

TheSinner.net

Intervarsity Success!

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby TC on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:28 pm

Frank, Im not sure what happened the scores. I coppied it down from the Lancaster Debating Society website, which has a full tab on it with all the detials. according to that St Andrews E took straight 3rds.

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:32 pm

Odd. I double-checked the tab, which claims St. Andrews E garnered four points over four rounds, by taking a third in each round. They were using the 3-2-1-0 system.

As you suggest, however, the management of the tournament may have allowed for some discrepancies.

I heard stories of teams getting put down for 'third place' instead of 'three points' when they had taken firsts. Hard luck to you guys.

Do the other results appear correct?

Cheers,
-Doug

Quoting Frank George from 22:53, 4th Dec 2006
Was the team point scoring different than usual? St Andrews E got a third, a first, and a third in the first three rounds, yet we only have four points. I calculate five using the regular 3-2-1-0 system. I also think we got a second or third in the fourth round. Then again, the judging was pretty special. And those motions.
kdc4

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:34 pm

It's an apostrophe, guys.

From experience it's usually the host institution that massacres the spelling of St Andrews by placing in apostrophes or full stops where they don't belong. These are the same people who have at times spelled quite straightforward names incorrectly.

I say we just blame Lancaster. For everything.

[hr]

"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Jason on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:49 pm

Is the only thing you have to add to this thread a complaint about grammer!?!?!? No one but you cares about it, it doesn't matter where the apostrophes are, we are not being judged on our gramatical ability!
Jason

Re:

Postby Frank George on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:30 pm

I just visited the tab and apparently got 26 points in the last round. That did wonders for my place on the speaker tab, but that was definitely a mistake. A mistake in my favour!
Frank George

Re:

Postby TC on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:51 pm

All the problems with the Lancaster tab show us that nothing beats a good tab monkey. There is truely only "Ein Bob, Ein Tab." Hopefully we will get him for our IV!

As to grammer and spelling everyone seems to get it wrong on IV tabs. In the last year I have been put down as Tom Kahn, Chan, Can and Khan, even if I explain to them exactly how to spell Cahn. Its just an inevitability of running a tab.

[hr]

Per Ardua ad Astra
Per Ardua ad Astra
TC

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:48 pm

Quoting jason from 14:49, 5th Dec 2006
Is the only thing you have to add to this thread a complaint about grammer!?!?!? No one but you cares about it, it doesn't matter where the apostrophes are, we are not being judged on our gramatical ability!

Grammar. Lots of people care about it, it is important - only the semi-literate rail against using it properly.

And I could have added a great deal to this thread, or to any other, it just happens that's what I chose to add this time.

Your hostility is simply not called for.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:21 pm

"As to grammar and spelling everyone seems to get it wrong on IV tabs. In the last year I have been put down as Tom Kahn, Chan, Can and Khan, even if I explain to them exactly how to spell Cahn. Its just an inevitability of running a tab."

Too true. My personal favourite was Bristol this year, where I was registered as 'Dove Cochrane', thanks to a less-than-competent registration/tabbing team!

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

As to grammer and spelling everyone seems to get it wrong on IV tabs. In the last year I have been put down as Tom Kahn, Chan, Can and Khan, even if I explain to them exactly how to spell Cahn. Its just an inevitability of running a tab.

Too true. My personal favourite was Bristol this year, where I was registered as 'Dove Cochrane', thanks to a less-than-competent registration/tabbing team!

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Lauren on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:44 am

The judges were quite fond of Icecream....
Lauren

Re:

Postby Imago on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting connie from 22:05, 4th Dec 2006
The St Andrews A, B, C etc is my job, so please don't moan to Doug about it.
Whats the problem?

It might just be that he has consulted the Cork tab on BD, in which a redundant apostrophe makes an unwarranted appearance.
Imago

Re:

Postby Newbie on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:46 am

Exnihilo, frankly many of your contributions are simply not called for.

Ever since I started reading the Societies thread a few months ago you have not posted a single positive comment about how the society is currently run. Instead you have simingly used every opertunity to snipe at the current administration. Why? Constructive critcism would make sense and be welcome. Instead you just attack and nit pick about the tinnest things. IV debating and debators seem to be the subject of the worst of your spit. Why? Most of them, like me, have never met you, so what have we possibly done to anger you so? I dont do IV debating, I just go to LPH, but what is it about IV debating that you find so disagreeable? Also you accuse Connie to taking offense at the drop of a hat, yet you yourself will respond to most responses to your posts with the same sense of offense and hurt honour. All Connie did was ask you what the problem was, yet you just shot back at her as though she had grevously insulted you.

As to grammer, yes lots of people care about it but few nit pick in quite such a ridiculous way and suggesting that people who dont use it correctly are semi-literate just suggests that you are frankly a snob.

I fully expect you to react to this post with your usual sense of anger, wounded sense of pride and arrogence. In fact I would be shocked with anything less!

Re:

Postby fairyghirl on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting Newbie from 18:18, 5th Dec 2006
Exnihilo, frankly many of your contributions are simply not called for.

Ever since I started reading the Societies thread a few months ago you have not posted a single positive comment about how the society is currently run. Instead you have simingly used every opertunity to snipe at the current administration. Why? Constructive critcism would make sense and be welcome. Instead you just attack and nit pick about the tinnest things. IV debating and debators seem to be the subject of the worst of your spit. Why? Most of them, like me, have never met you, so what have we possibly done to anger you so? I dont do IV debating, I just go to LPH, but what is it about IV debating that you find so disagreeable? Also you accuse Connie to taking offense at the drop of a hat, yet you yourself will respond to most responses to your posts with the same sense of offense and hurt honour. All Connie did was ask you what the problem was, yet you just shot back at her as though she had grevously insulted you.

As to grammer, yes lots of people care about it but few nit pick in quite such a ridiculous way and suggesting that people who dont use it correctly are semi-literate just suggests that you are frankly a snob.

I fully expect you to react to this post with your usual sense of anger, wounded sense of pride and arrogence. In fact I would be shocked with anything less!
fairyghirl

wow

Postby Jessica on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:07 am

Indeed, everyone, spectacular showing throughout the weekend. Can't wait till they put it up in the official rankings. Time to move up to 3rd anyone??

The irony with these grammar posts is incredibly funny. First, I think its important to focus on the successes of the weekend rather than our spelling (maybe there's a reason IV debating involves speaking rather than writing). And secondly, every time someone writes 'grammEr' I just start laughing. Let's look at the absurdity of it all, laugh, and move on.

Well done guys. Some seriously deserved success. Next slaughter: Worlds. Bring it.
Jessica

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Well, don't I feel chastened!
exnihilo

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:03 pm

The latest league tables are out, St. Andrews is currently in third, against sixteenth at this point last year.

Well done to All!

Cheers,
-Doug

N.B. These rankings don't even include Lancaster, which should strengthen our claim on third.
kdc4

Re:

Postby OhhMy on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Quoting kdc4 from 22:03, 6th Dec 2006
The latest league tables are out, St. Andrews is currently in third, against sixteenth at this point last year.

Well done to All!

Cheers,
-Doug

N.B. These rankings don't even include Lancaster, which should strengthen our claim on third.

Doug could you provide a link for us to look at our progressive rise through the ranks!

Thanks, Rob.
OhhMy

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting jason from 14:49, 5th Dec 2006

Actually, I care about it. Thus, does this mean, as is the correct form on an Inter'Varsity (or is that Intervarsity) thread, that your point falls?

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:23 am

Thank you, "Lid", fight the good fight!
exnihilo

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society