Home

TheSinner.net

Term Card - Candlemas

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting Cain from 22:53, 16th Jan 2007
Can the debate be on nuclear wessels?

Given the actor responsible for this joke's recent appearance in a criminally bad fan-made/produced/directed film, he must be pretty hard up for things to do these days. I say we ask Mr Chekov if he wouldn't mind stepping up and taking first prop...
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:28 am

I think I need my eyes checked - I could have sworn that said "nuclear weasels", which sounds an altogether more interesting debate.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dickie on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting exnihilo from 09:28, 17th Jan 2007
I think I need my eyes checked - I could have sworn that said "nuclear weasels", which sounds an altogether more interesting debate.

I too read it as weasels, it reminds me of the "THW arm bears" speach from J G-G some time ago. It could make a much more interesting debate than any IR based topic...

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:02 pm

The art of entertainment was lost long ago in LPH.

[hr]

Set your goals way too high so I can laugh when you fail.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Incidentally, I did not intend to disparage the motion - I was just oddly amused by the notion of nuclear weasels.

Dickie, are you thinking of the one where the judges took too long coming back and Simon Murray et al regaled us with nightmarish tales of the nursery?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting David Bean from 22:20, 12th Jan 2007
I don't know, nuclear weapons is interesting enough, but the problem is that nobody believes they should actually be used, making the debate solely about deterrance.

Au contraire, I believe their use in Iraq was contemplated:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 032008.htm

Obviously, I commend to everyone the House of Commons Defence Committee's reports on the strategic nuclear deterrent.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Dickie on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting exnihilo from 18:21, 17th Jan 2007
Dickie, are you thinking of the one where the judges took too long coming back and Simon Murray et al regaled us with nightmarish tales of the nursery?

Indeed I am.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:24 am

Happy days.

"On Thursday the 24th the final of the World Championship Selection Competition was held in Lower Parliament Hall, sponsored by The Friends of St. Andrews. Competing were Simon Murray and Bill Dornan against Nick Bibby and Marc Whitmore, the latter two were finally selected by the judging panel to represent the Society and the University in Stellenbosch, South Africa in December. The motion for the evening was “This House Would Defend the Right to Bear Arms” which was carried by thirty-four votes to thirty with seven abstentions in a less than packed House. The quality of debate from the table was superb and the judges were hard pressed to separate the two teams, whilst they wrestled with this decision the house debated the mock motion to “Defend the Right to Arm Bears”. The sordid details of Simon Murray’s and Marc Whitmore’s childhood were, hence, laid out before the House to the great amusement of all. Indeed some of the remarks made could almost have one wishing that we did have the right to bear arms, if only to put the wretched speakers out of their misery."

Excerpt from newsreel, October 25th, 1996
exnihilo

Re:

Postby toff-toff on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:18 pm

Just a quick note, since many of you may be returning from afar for the first debate of the semester, on Friday 9th February. As usual we will be having pre-debate drinks on this evening, in the Byre Theatre Bar at 7pm. I know this is usually on the link-up to remind people, and it's become usual for at least the Board of Ten, guest speakers and interested members of the Society to get together before the debate for some Dutch courage etc, but I'm unsure of how many of you receive the link-up and so may be unaware of the arrangements. Since there are some of you who I don't think I've ever met, and I know the same can be said for other members of the Board of Ten, it would be wonderful if you would come along and join us, then at least I can put names to faces when it comes to the Floor Debate! There will of course also be post-debate drinks as well, which all are more than welcome to take part in!
toff-toff

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society