Home

TheSinner.net

New Semester

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

New Semester

Postby BenEsq on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:23 pm

Yes, we may have exams to get through first, but what have we to look forward to next semester in the world of Standy's debates?

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby Dickie on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:34 pm

Lots of fun stuff, with the best speakers in the world coming to impart wisedom and insight to us mere students.

Or the same run of the mill dummed down fare that we have become so sadly used to.

Great Dinners with lashings of wine and port in interesting venues, or curry!

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Cynic.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Dickie on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 12:30, 18th Mar 2008
Cynic.

Who me?

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Did I miss much?

[hr]

BenEsq

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu May 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Dunno, you could check the websi...
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Owen Wilton on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am

Salvete cives,

Quo usque tandem abutere patientia nostra?

i)

The situation with the website is to be regretted, to put it in Whitehallspeak. The new Board is surprisingly energised and, having dropped the ball, we are now on it, to combine my clichés.

Please wait a little longer. You will be thrilled to know that work is actually in progress. Although it is primarily the responsibility of the Communications Secretary, in practice, it bestrides various BoT portfolios like a colossus, requiring "input" from the Serjeant (alumni relations) the Schools Secretary (the Courier Round, et al.) and yours truly (sponsorship). We've taken the novel approach of trying to do it properly rather than throwing up an ad hoc spacefiller.

Now that my exams are concluded, I will attack my particular responsibilities with characteristic vim and alacrity. (I can’t speak for the results. I suspect fair to crappy.) Much of the work is done, as I drafted a sponsorship pack in January. However, there's always more to do, for example I’ll have to launch an epistolary blitzkrieg over the summer and next year. I suppose there will be other stuff to do with you know, money but I don’t really know what that’s about. Incidentally, if any of you were or know people who were Treasurer I’d be interested to hear their advice on sponsorship, and show them what I’ve come up with. (Feel free to email me; ogw4@st-andrews.ac.uk. ) I gather from my spies that we once targeted some of the national newspapers. Is that correct?

ii)

Jess and James are laying down plans for next year, but it would be a bit ambitious to publish a term card at this stage. I can spread some unofficial official information, as Sir Humphrey would say.

Ideas Raised at the Motions Forum

This House would get its tits out for the lads.
This House believes the Channel is wider than the Atlantic.
THW steal from the rich and give to the poor.
THB feminism is dead. (Or something similar.)

There must have been more than that because I think we by the end we had gathered about 15 viable ideas. We shall see. The following debates are taking shape in Dr Frankenstein's laboratory-the odd limb and ligament is yet to be attached, and there are repugnant fluids seeping everywhere, but ultimately we hope to bring to life:

-a literary debate, or possibly a Harry Potter debate, not quite being the same thing;
-a disarmament debate (possibly THB the UK should unilaterally disarm);
-a debate on the right of individuals to bear arms (which might replace the disarmament debate, or vice-versa;
-a debate on the American presidential election, as close as possible to polling day. We had originally contemplated an attempt at wit, but it was thought that people would prefer the battle lines to be drawn seriously, so it may be a "THW vote Republican/Democrat" affair. We can still make an entertaining evening of that, if we get the right people to speak.

I suspect the Parliamentary will be in the first (Michaelmas?) semester this year, as, of course, will the Freshers' Debate.

I needn't add that you can post your suggestions/mordant commentary here.

Valete

Owen
Owen Wilton

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Quoting Owen Wilton from 19:39, 23rd May 2008
in the first (Michaelmas?) semester

Martinmas.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Jessica on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Hello!

Here's the Provisional Term Card. Might I stress its provisional nature and also add that it depends very much upon when/if speakers are available. You'll notice the wording of many motions is not final.

Sept 22-28: This House would get its tits out for the lads. Page 3 Girl Debate

Sept 29-5: Parliamentary Debate

Oct 6-12: Rectorial Candidates Question Time

Oct 13-19:This House Believes that 1984 has arrived

Oct 20-26: Harry Potter address/debate/future of the novel debate

Oct 27-2: US Presidential Debate

Nov 3-9: Freshers arrange debate

Nov 17-23: THB in an ethical/moral foreign policy/Humanitarian intervention debate

Nov 24-30: THB the Channel is wider than the Atlantic

Dec 1-7: Religion is the binding force- address with mini debate beforehand

If you know of anyone who may be interested in speaking in one of these debates (famous people, yourself, etc) please email me (js482)

Also, we're arranging back up speakers in advance this year. If you'd like to be a back up speaker please email me and specify 'back up' (js482)

Enjoy summer!
Jessica

Re:

Postby Julia Macfarlane on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello! I'm interested in speaking on the Oct 13th debate (this house believes that 1984 has arrived). Whats the general protocol for debating in the university? I'm transferring into 2nd year from Edinburgh uni next term. Thanks!

Julia

Quoting Jessica from 14:12, 13th Jun 2008
Hello!

Here's the Provisional Term Card. Might I stress its provisional nature and also add that it depends very much upon when/if speakers are available. You'll notice the wording of many motions is not final.

Sept 22-28: This House would get its tits out for the lads. Page 3 Girl Debate

Sept 29-5: Parliamentary Debate

Oct 6-12: Rectorial Candidates Question Time

Oct 13-19:This House Believes that 1984 has arrived

Oct 20-26: Harry Potter address/debate/future of the novel debate

Oct 27-2: US Presidential Debate

Nov 3-9: Freshers arrange debate

Nov 17-23: THB in an ethical/moral foreign policy/Humanitarian intervention debate

Nov 24-30: THB the Channel is wider than the Atlantic

Dec 1-7: Religion is the binding force- address with mini debate beforehand

If you know of anyone who may be interested in speaking in one of these debates (famous people, yourself, etc) please email me (js482)

Also, we're arranging back up speakers in advance this year. If you'd like to be a back up speaker please email me and specify 'back up' (js482)

Enjoy summer!
Julia Macfarlane

Re:

Postby Jessica on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am

Julia,

Drop me an email (js482) and I'll send you some information!

Jessica
Last edited by Jessica on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessica

Re:

Postby danielb on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:04 pm

As an American coming for a Mphil next year, I would definitely be interested in the American Presidential debate. I have debated in the US, and broke for public speaking at worlds last year so I have some experience
danielb

Re:

Postby Jessica on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 am

Hello Daniel B! Would you like to be in a debate? Can you please send me an email and I can send you some details and invite you formally!

Jessica Siegel: js482
Jessica

Return to Union Debating Society