Home

TheSinner.net

JYA

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

JYA

Postby LBR on Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:34 pm

Hi--

I am an international student who is studying abroad at Oxford or St. Andrews next year. I have been debating for about six years. I have to decide between these two universities within the next two weeks. I definitely want to debate in the UK, and would love to talk to some members of the team before I make my decision.

Thanks,
Lindsay

lrichman@bowdoin.edu
LBR

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:18 pm

Lindsay,

Please feel free to give me an e-mail at js67@st-andrews.ac.uk.

I am the man in charge of the team at present.

John
John Stewart

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:53 am

Also, I recieved your request to be put on the mailing list; we send out emails weekly which have all the details of the events and things that we put on, and so you'll recieve your first on Wednesday.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Thanks!

Postby LBR on Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:31 pm

Thanks so much for all your help!! I am likely going to come to St. Andrews.

By the way, if anyone knows which residences houses are the best, I'd love some feedback on that, too. :o)

--Lindsay
LBR

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:45 pm

Stay away from Melville or DRH.

Although the new DRH would be rather nice.

New Hall apparently has no social life.

Also, if you do an arts subject, best to stick to the halls in town, unless you like a mile and a half walk in the morning...

Oh wait, afternoon. I forgot that arts students don't do any work...
John Stewart

Re:

Postby stan on Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:29 pm

read the sinner reviews on halls as there testimonies from previous convicts. also check out the polls held recently on the sinner main board for general consensus towards halls.

[hr]if music be the food of life then radiohead be a spam sandwich.
stan

JYA experience

Postby larkvi on Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:17 am

Oh wait, afternoon. I forgot that arts students don't do any work...
[/i]

No, we really don't--which means that the 20 min walk from Melville to town is really all the exercise one gets, so the further away, the better...

As a JYA last year, I would reccomend one of the halls in town. New Hall is indeed dead, DRH is not terribly pleasant to get to, and the apartment dwellers are, shall we say...a mixed bunch (only live in them if you have a very high tolerance for messy roommates).

Melville isn't really that bad, but as someone who was always walking home at 2 in the morning through the freezing rain and sleet, in a gale-force wind over the North Haugh, I would stick with one of the in-town halls.

But, to put this in perspective, on my residence application, I put, in *bold* lettres: "Please do not put me in Andrew Melville Hall or any of the newer halls!"

...sure enough, I spent the year in Andrew Melville, to mixed effect. THe main thing to avoid is being put in the damp sub ground-level floors, as they built the hall on a bog, which it sinks deeper into yearly.

All in all, St Andrews was a charming place to spend a year abroad, though the work load was a little light--it is important to get involved in societies early as an international student, as it is really the best way to get out. The Debates society has no shortage of interesting characters and events to keep one entertained, but it only meets a finite number of times in the week.

If the experience of a former JYA at St Andrews might be of help, I or one of my group (University of California students) would be happy to oblige.

Sean Michael Winslow
Graduand, European History (Departmental/College Honours)
University of California (Santa Cruz)
larkvi "at" cats.ucsc.edu

(Soon to be of the Centre for Mediaeval Studies at the University of Toronto, it seems...)
larkvi

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:51 pm

Well well well...

If it isn't Sean Wilmslow, alive and well, still stalking the sinner boards...
John Stewart

Re:

Postby larkvi on Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:27 am

If it isn't Sean Wilmslow, alive and well, still stalking the sinner boards...
[/i]

Well, I do not know who this "Wilmslow" fellow is, but if you are refering to me, then, yes--anything to procrastinate longer before having to learn my German dative constructions.

-S
larkvi

Return to Union Debating Society