Home

TheSinner.net

Tay Weekend 2008

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby mattina on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Dickie,

Please feel free to wear your gown; I'm not how sure how many others will be though.

If you're in Dundee 4ish you will be on time for the first round. However on Saturday, if one is not outside the Union at 9:30, one can't get in until 5 pm (crazy as it sounds, it's true).

The Semis should start just a bit past 4 and I am looking to start the final at about 7 in LPH.

Hope this answers all your questions.

Laura (lem55)
mattina

Re:

Postby Lid on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Quoting mattina from 23:59, 8th Apr 2008
However on Saturday, if one is not outside the Union at 9:30, one can't get in until 5 pm (crazy as it sounds, it's true).

Unless you did something daring like ring someone inside and ask them to come down to the fire door and open it for you?

And is it just me that upon hearing the words "UDS lockdown" thinks of some action packed thriller featuring Keanu Reeves?

On Saturday, I should be able to make the final, to show my support, unfortunately I'm working and whatnot through the day, but Sunday I should be around all day, providing the bar is open - if not, I'll be sneaking off to tesco at periodic intervals.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:04 am

This may be a stupid question, mine normally are. what is the reason that we will be unable to enter the union during the day?

Is the building closed or something?

That being the case - and I noticed you advised the need for a packed lunch...WHAT ABOUT THE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Quoting jason from 12:04, 9th Apr 2008you advised the need for a packed lunch...WHAT ABOUT THE BAR!!!!!!!!!!!

If your packed lunch doesn't consist of 4+ cans of pre-mixed gin and tonic, jason, that just smacks of negligent behaviour.

[hr]

Lid

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:19 pm

4 is standard, but if there is no bar to "refresh" myself at that will need to increase to 8 at least!
Jason

Re:

Postby mattina on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:26 pm

Hello everyone,

Technically the 12th is still during vacation time and the Union is not open until 5. We have been granted special permission to use the building as long as we all enter at once so the porter can let us in and get on with what he needs to do.

Because the building is closed, the bar and Beaton's are not open. As we cannot leave and re-enter, I have gotten us permission to bring food in during the day only as long as promise to take all our rubbish out with us (so I will be bringing bin bags...).

The term 'lockdown' was used to make it seem more exciting and overlook some of the hilarity of the situation.

On Sunday, the building should be open and thus I would assume the bar as well.

Laura (lem55)
mattina

Re:

Postby mattina on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Also, we will not be entering through exit doors. This is not allowed and we are only allowed in on the grounds that this does not occur.

I will show anyone violating this the exit only door and they will not be allowed to return in.

There are rules we are just going to have to follow/tolerate.

I ask that anyone with any further issues please contact me directly (lem55) and I will be more than happy to respond.

Laura
mattina

Re:

Postby Dickie on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:09 pm

What about smokers? 7 1/2 hours without a fag (quiet Jason) how could I have coped???

Will miss out on Sat.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby Jason on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm pleased to report that a full 2 page equity policy with examples has been written and printed and will be distributed to each team and judges on arrival...
Jason

Re:

Postby mattina on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 pm

I would like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who came and helped this weekend and to those who helped me in the run up to the IV and the Balaka making sure everything was sorted.

It was great to have so many people help out at the IV and the Balaka and I hope that everyone enjoyed themselves.

In short, with all honestly, this weekend would not have happened without everyone's help and support and I thank you for everything.

Laura (lem55)
mattina

Re:

Postby Jason on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Results of the Balaka?

Also cheers to all - I don't know about the rest of you but I had a blast.
Jason

Re:

Postby kdc4 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:32 pm

As for the results of the Balaka:
Diarmuid won and Neill Harvey-Smith took second.

If someone has a full tab with speaks broken down by round I'd be very curious (particularly to see what the judges made of the 'opt-out anarchy' v. 'government-sponsored anarchy' debate of round two).

More importantly, Laura and her team deserve an immense amount of credit for running a very efficient IV/Individuals Comp all in one weekend.

Good food, brigade-size judging panels, clever motions, timeliness, and organisation were the hallmarks of a good fun weekend.

Cheers,
-Doug
kdc4

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:50 am

I just wanted to thank Laura and everyone for a really enjoyable weekend. It was very good fun, and the way they managed to tread the fine line betweeen running rounds with the efficiency of a Swiss watch and allowing people to really enjoy themselves.
And yes Jason, it was lovely to see you too! Although I am sorry for being so much dead weight you probably had the debating equivalent of a hernia on the way back south! :)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Jason on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:53 am

I agree it was a pleasure Ewan but I think you are underestimating the whole - you knew stuff and I was just drunk.

Joy all over - time to start planning for next year.
Jason

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:44 pm

You were very very drunk! It was fantastic and very very good fun and I had a cracking time!
Although I still can't get over Alex Ward collapsing into hysterics as he tried to explain how on earth we got a 2nd in round two despite utterly taking the piss!

[hr]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society