Home

TheSinner.net

Cork Worlds 2009

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re: Cork Worlds 2009

Postby lem55 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Highlights(?) Round-up:

1. James and Miles coming 33rd.

2. Claire seeing very good rooms throughout the competition (Chris didn't see such good rooms-rolling multiple chairs in a row is perhaps one way to get yourself binned, no matter how much you maintain you were right).

3. Doug's honourable mention in the Masters' Debate final in which he was attacked by another speaker (while standing to offer a POI) as being 'the product of privledged education costing lots of money. This speaker failed to realise Doug has never paid tuition.

4. Connie topping the equity tab after first propping the Women's Debate which was on banning religious discrimination. After the Equity Officer (Tony) issued an apology, there were more complaints that what Connie said wasn't offensive and thus shouldn't have been apologised for. Willard complained very loudly that he no longer topped the equity tab but try as he might to take the title back, he was unable to.

5. Lowest speaker mark award going to Laura who managed a 65-a first in her debating career. Given that she and Maddy thought they had won that round (as did at least one judge) and they came 4th with the the sole feedback "you're both very good and will do well at this competition", they already felt shafted.

Laura
lem55

Postby Owen Wilton on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:39 pm

What does 'rolling a chair' entail? I presume it means "v.tr.: contradict, express dissent and vote against" but I'm not sure. Can anyone clarify? I now have a happy image of Chris Harper rolling a chair judge (ensconced in a barrel of some kind) down a hill.
Owen Wilton

Postby lem55 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Rolling a chair is bascially when the chair makes a call, a wing or wings disagree and in the end get their way. Chairs usually don't like this.

I forgot a highlight as well. Claire made page 3...of the Irish Times.
lem55

Postby kdcochran1 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:09 am

It's tough to see a number of teams come close and not break, but a silver lining for St Andrews: we tied our best result ever for team points from three teams with a much younger squad than ever before.

Best,
-Doug
kdcochran1

Postby Philip Goose on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:12 pm

For anyone who wants to read about Miss Mullen's newfound fame:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 04967.html
I provide wittitainments.
Philip Goose

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society