Home

TheSinner.net

Formal Dress Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu May 13, 2004 5:13 pm

Seersucker appears to be an uniquely American cloth. My browse on Google suggests that it is a lightweight, slightly wrinkly fabric - wrinkled effect being acheived by putting the warp under tension different to that of the weft, or vice versa.

Having looked at a couple of garments on websites, I would say that in general terms I approve. With the following caveats - no recurring dog embroidery, and NOT ever, under any circumstance, rayon. So, if unadorned and made entirely of cotton, then fine.

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu May 13, 2004 6:07 pm

I think that it is alright, although is t suitable as formal dress?
I am not sure. Maybe just a normal suit would do fine. And to answer Mr Renoufs query, striped overcoats are jsut plain wrong.

[hr]"[I am] a hardened and shameless tea drinker, who for twenty years diluted his meals with only the infusion of the fascinating plant; who with tea amused the evening, with tea solaced the midnight, and with tea welcomed the morning.
-Samuel Johnson
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu May 13, 2004 6:07 pm

[s]Andrew Cusack wrote on 17:08, 13th May 2004:

Random thought alert:

No, no, it's ok- you[i] really[i] don't have to warn us any more. Its one hundred percent expected one hundred percent of the time.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Thu May 13, 2004 8:35 pm

I have a very nice seersucker tablecloth, if that helps, but I'm not sure I'd like to see it as formal dress (the material, that is, not the tablecloth). A friend did once have a seersucker shirt, which was nice. But then he spilled something on it, and seersucker became once again simply tableloth material.
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Andrew Cusack on Fri May 14, 2004 12:58 am

[s]Laura wrote on 19:07, 13th May 2004:
No, no, it's ok- you really don't have to warn us any more. Its one hundred percent expected one hundred percent of the time.

Touche, mademoiselle, touche.

[hr]
'Angels fly because they can take themselves lightly.' -- G.K. Chesterton
Andrew Cusack

Tablecloth?!?

Postby S.L.G. on Fri May 14, 2004 8:55 am

What an odd idea, though one to which I don't feel particularly opposed. . .

And it is only American? How sad. . .so I suppose the likeliehood of seeing someone wearing one here (except perhaps on someone like you dear Mr. Cusack) is slim?
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri May 14, 2004 12:37 pm

Certainly, seersucker is a rare sight on this side of the pond. It can be very smart, but rather screams "I'm American!". Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on personal taste..

Now, co-respondent shoes: good thing, bad thing? I have a strange hankering after a pair, but they're nigh-on impossible to find.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby rache1 on Fri May 14, 2004 2:47 pm

Co-respondent shoes? They seem rather Swing and Rock-a-billy, but maybe you are fan of that style.

Best bet to find them would be to search under swing shoes, and many you will find are probably going to be dance shoes. Unless you buy a latin heel, that really isn't too much of a problem- most dance shoes are just really well made leather shoes that offer good support.

Here is one website that has a few styles:

http://www.bleyer.com/frameset.html

And another that offers them in British sizes:
http://www.showtimedanceshoes.com/sho/s ... 62&CATID=3
rache1

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Fri May 14, 2004 2:58 pm

*pondering the thought of Eliot swing dancing* Could be interesting. . .
S.L.G.

Sorry, but it was too funny to pass up...

Postby rache1 on Fri May 14, 2004 3:20 pm

And who actually wants to revise?

IMAGE:img35.photobucket.com/albums/v106/laughing_girl/swing.jpg
rache1

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri May 14, 2004 3:54 pm

Hmm. Not quite me, I think. No, I was thinking of them more worn with a smart summer suit, in a rather dashing 1920s/1930s, Edward Prince of Wales stylee. But then, black-and-white, or brown-and-white?

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri May 14, 2004 4:03 pm

Brown. That would be so nice. Very Gatsby....
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby rache1 on Fri May 14, 2004 5:28 pm

I'd have to agree with Laura. If you are wearing it with a summer suit, and want to avoid the 'swing' look, I think brown would be better suited then black.
rache1

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sat May 15, 2004 11:49 am

If one is going to wear parti-coloured shoes at all, brown-and-white is definitely the way to go.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Al on Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Or yellow and blue for that "I shouldn't be allowed to dress myself" look.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat May 15, 2004 2:00 pm

Parti-coloured shoes are inherently evil, and should be avoided like the plague. In fact, I would happily wish the plague upon someone who wore parti-coloured shoes.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sat May 15, 2004 9:46 pm

Well, they are called co-respondent shoes for a reason. One wouldn't wear them if one didn't want to be thought a bit of a bounder.

[hr]"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees is the high road that leads him to England."
~Doctor Johnson
Anon.

Re:

Postby Deacon Brodie on Mon May 17, 2004 8:06 pm

Not my cup of tea, but acceptable without a neck tie. Shirts with button down collars were designed for polo players, in order that the collars would not be blown up to distract the mounted player. Wearing one with a neck tie is every bit as bad as white socks with a lunge suit.
Deacon Brodie

Re:

Postby Kizzy on Mon May 17, 2004 10:52 pm

I'm just dying to know what a 'lunge suit' is. Suggestions anyone?

Personally, I think it's either
a) a suit which is sufficiently loose fitting to allow the wearer to lunge wihtout undue difficulty.
b) some sort of lycra catsuit type thing in which people may be expected to lunge.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist...
Kizzy

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 17, 2004 11:09 pm

I agree with you entirely, Deacon Brodie (and I know who you are!). Button-down collars with ties are inherently evil.

Eliot Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society