Home

TheSinner.net

Formal Dress Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:09 pm

Entirely.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:37 pm

Stout fellow.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:13 pm

Those of you who have had slips made at E&R - how long did it take?
Anon.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 am

I haven't got round to it yet, but they said a week.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Heelie Hanson on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:46 am

Hi

I got my Xmas dress today am soooooooo excited, went to www.celebrity-dresses.co.uk and picked THE and I DO mean THE most sensational long flowing White halter neck dress heavily embellished with Silver beads and Diamante, skirt part is floaty Marilyn Monroe style!

Well recommended.

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 16:37, 13th Nov 2003
As so often these little conundra pop up, I thought the Debating Society message board might be a place for like-minded individuals - even if it does just turn out to be Messrs. Joss, Renouf and Blair, and m'good self - to air views on the thorny subject of What To Wear - I'm coming over all Trinny and Susannah (oh, God...).

To start us off, I pose two questions:

Cummerbund with trews - acceptable to what degree?

Smoking jackets - viable for the under-60s, or just too sweet-sherry-and-a-cat-called-Clothilde?

[hr]"In a battle between yourself and the world, back the world." Kafka
Heelie Hanson

Re:

Postby BasilSeal on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting Heelie Hanson from 21:36, 30th Oct 2006
Hi

I got my Xmas dress today am soooooooo excited, went to www.celebrity-dresses.co.uk and picked THE and I DO mean THE most sensational long flowing White halter neck dress heavily embellished with Silver beads and Diamante, skirt part is floaty Marilyn Monroe style!

Well recommended.

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 16:37, 13th Nov 2003
As so often these little conundra pop up, I thought the Debating Society message board might be a place for like-minded individuals - even if it does just turn out to be Messrs. Joss, Renouf and Blair, and m'good self - to air views on the thorny subject of What To Wear - I'm coming over all Trinny and Susannah (oh, God...).

To start us off, I pose two questions:

Cummerbund with trews - acceptable to what degree?

Smoking jackets - viable for the under-60s, or just too sweet-sherry-and-a-cat-called-Clothilde?

[hr]"In a battle between yourself and the world, back the world." Kafka

Is this you, Mr. Joss?
BasilSeal

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:58 am

I can see why you might think that, but no.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:17 pm

I always wondered who the chap in the rimless eyeglass was whose portrait is in LPH (being a monocle-wearer myself and all). He turns out to be Brigadier the Lord Ballantrae, Chancellor of the University 1973-1980.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:34 am

By gum! What a heroic-looking chap.

On another topic, I've decided that it's finally time I learn to tie a bow-tie. Although my father (now 63) has sworn by clip-ons ever since his Repton years, I've been recently informed by a female friend that it's quite unacceptable to accompany her to balls/etc sporting such a contraption.

I can't really find any half-decent guides for the whole process on the web though. Can anyone point me in the direction of something that isn't going to confuse me? (or failing that, offer pointers themselves?)

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Lid on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:19 pm

I'll teach you, Mr Watson. When are you back in St Andrews?

If you could persuade that Haraldsen chap to learn too, that'd be grand.

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:13 am

Never mind, managed it. It looks a bit wank but I'm told it improves with practice.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:52 pm

While frittering away my time on Wikipedia I stumbled upon the Morning dress pages, as one does. It appears to have been modified recently with the salient addition of a picture. However, what caught my eye was the end paragraph which claimed that it was incorrect form to wear patent leather shoes with morning dress.

Is this kosher? Unfortunately there is no reference to scrutinise.
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby Lid on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:47 pm

Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners states as follows:

Shoes must be formal lace-ups: Gucci loafers simply will not do.

This is all it says on the matter.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting Lid from 17:47, 30th Nov 2006
Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners states as follows:

Shoes must be formal lace-ups: Gucci loafers simply will not do.

This is all it says on the matter.

What if they are Gucci laceups? That's what I've taken to wearing. Not loafers mind you...

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Jason Dunn from 16:52, 30th Nov 2006
While frittering away my time on Wikipedia I stumbled upon the Morning dress pages, as one does. It appears to have been modified recently with the salient addition of a picture. However, what caught my eye was the end paragraph which claimed that it was incorrect form to wear patent leather shoes with morning dress.

Jason, this is an excellent place to check such things, ans I believe that several of the authors of those pages also frequent these.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting Lid from 12:19, 5th Nov 2006
I'll teach you, Mr Watson. When are you back in St Andrews?

If you could persuade that Haraldsen chap to learn too, that'd be grand.

[hr]

This is useful:

http://www.folds.net/bowtie/index.html

I used to get a pissed Mr Renouf to tie mine, but I subsequently found that this is something much better done on your own.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15 pm

Now a quick question for the assembled masses.

I have our company ball coming up, which is naturally a black tie affair. However, a number of people in our company tend to substitute the tie itself for an orange bowtie.
Should I do this, or is this a hanging offence?

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:03 am

What does the invitation specify? If it says black tie, then variants are to be frowned upon.

And, patents with morning dress, dear God no. Behave.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Jason Dunn from 16:52, 30th Nov 2006

I think I actually wrote the original wikipedia article on morning dress. It has now been savaged beyond recognition.

Patent-leather boots or shoes certainly used to be worn with morning dress; there are oodles of literary references to attest to this. However, nowadays it would probably be advisable to just polish your shoes a lot.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Of course to wear dress (i.e. evening dress) patent-leather shoes with a morning coat would be utterly wrong.
Anon.

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society