Home

TheSinner.net

Formal Dress Forum

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:24 am

[s]Andrew Cusack wrote on 01:02, 20th Nov 2003:
[i]Regarding Laura's comments.

How delightful to hear that a woman exists with such taste. Perhaps a future as fashion columnist for the Mitre, I dare ask?

As much as I fear this was a joke Mr. Cusak, I must ashamedly point out that were such a column ever allowed, I would be the perfect candidate to write it. It would give me such pleadure to comment on the fashionable habits of the more esteemed gentlemen of St. Andrews- something I think about regularly in my spare time......do consider it, should you have the space.....
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Magus on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:22 pm

not wishing to sound sexist, but this thread was far more interesting before the ladies joined in. When you return to discussing the finer points of sartorial elegance, I might return to my avid reading. Until then, my beloved Cicero calls me...

[hr]With a sense of deep emotion I approach this painful case,
For I never had a notion that a man could be so base.
Or deceive a girl confiding
Vows etcetera deriding
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:23 pm

For some strange reason, that idea seems to ring a bell... but I could just have dreamt that.

dress up shmess up who wants to?

Postby Bridgette on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:24 pm

come on guys, now i know that i am not the only one who hates the idea of having to dress up like "gary cooper" to debate! so, don't you think then that informal clothing is sufficient in that it would allow the person to feel more comfortable and breathe. and more to the point, women should NOT have to wear gowns. i mean i just can't do that to people! seriously, if i were to show off these gams which, over the years have become mauled from sport and other weathering activities...well, i shudder to think of it. and to make matters worse, i can no longer have the luxury of getting my legs waxed because franko, the worlds best, has quit and i refuse the attention of anyone other than him and oh then there comes the razors! i have cut myself nearly a dozen times and have since given up altogether and now i am left looking like Jo-JO the dog boy! i demand a resolution, pants, slacks, or something to the effect that covers and allows for fluid movement because you never know when you might have to kick somebody!

p.s. what if i dress in drag that is, like a bloak...too much?

love peace and chicken grease (the PEsT)
Bridgette

Re:

Postby Graduate in tweed on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:27 pm

I have just stumbled across this thread and am delighted to see that sartorial pedantry can so excite members - I approve.

I do not recall there being ladies with such refined taste as Laura - whom I have not met - and can only surmise that standards continue to improve in St Andrews and that I matriculated some years too early.
Graduate in tweed

Re:

Postby sallies gr8est gown lover on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:30 pm

i no sum1 called jamie who loves peter blair more than chi-chi. he has got a huge picture of him on his computer as a screensaver and loves 2 stare at it from morning to nite. PS sallies is th best hall especially as it has a squash court and anders and gown thursday
sallies gr8est gown lover

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:58 pm

Gad.

Someone do something to restore the tone, please!
Anon.

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:55 pm

Yes Mr. Renouf, please help us to return to the initial topic. Also, can we please not allow this thread to descend into the usual catfights of previous postings? I would hate to see it fade into insignificance having taken a turn for the worse.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:02 pm

I think this is close to the theme of the original topic...

How does everyone feel about the use of the kilt (or in fact, anything tartan) by non-Scots? Should Americans with some distant claim to Scottish ancestry be praised for their adopted patriotism or taken outside and shot?
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:31 am

The latter.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:59 am

On the subject of tartan, in relation to ladies formal wear- is there an appropriate way for your herritage to be displayed and indeed is it acceptable to display it all?
Laura

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:10 am

Ladies' skirts may be made of tartan (though not, I think, the whole dress), but a tartan sash over an ordinary evening frock is the most usual way of displaying one's affiliation.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:33 am

Thankyou, Mr. Renouf.
Laura

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:22 am

Another entirely acceptable way, of course, would be the Clan badge - for men or women I suppose. Tartan is not the only method open to you.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:28 am

Americans wearing tartan-why not, so long as they have some ancestry. Scots were instrumental in the foundation of their nation, and if they wish to celebrate our nation, highly understandable, let them, so long as it is worn correctly, and they don't claim descent from William Wallace or another historical figure, spuriously. And they learn to pronounce Scotland (see, an O).

Chi-Chi is my cat who sends me correspondence-very intelligent. Such personal details indicate that one of my lovely room-mates is Sallies greatest gown lover-an overstatement. Now you see with what I have to contend. I was thinking of eliminating my next-door neighbour and taking his single.
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:36 am

Americans, or anyone else, in tartan is fine by me. Ancestry or otherwise. As the tartans and kilts are largely made up anyway the more people we hoodwink into wearing it the better for the industry. And, after all, we do need to do something with the hundreds of square miles of shortbread tartan we produce annually.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Stuart on Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:18 am

[s]Tweedle-Dee wrote on 10:28, 21st Nov 2003:

I was thinking of eliminating my next-door neighbour and taking his single.

A8? No! That room is cursed, I tell you! Also, I do not think that the present occupant would be too pleased.

Tell me, do you have condensation problems in your current room? The previous occupants experienced horrendous difficulties in this area.
Stuart

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:17 pm

Why; who died in A8? He is not often pleased at us anyway, particularly when we come at at 1am and he wants to "sleep"- cue the music. He has a suspiciously short dressing gown. I mean really short.

Condensation? No problem whatsoever-or not. I have had my windows open for hours and still cannot see out-it is like we run a Chinese laundry.

Talking of laundry, our fortnightly ration has not yet arrived.
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:43 pm

And now we have descended into the condensation problems of Sallies....good grief.
Laura

Re:

Postby Anon. on Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:08 pm

I do wish these eejits of Sallies residents would stop spamming the Sinner with their irritating waffle about gowns, Peter Blair and some random Swede.

It is getting really rather weary-making.
Anon.

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society