Home

TheSinner.net

Biog. Quotations

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:20 am

[s]Okocim wrote on 22:46, 29th Jan 2004:
I work, which is pretty awful, especially at 7am on cold mornings.

That really, really sucks. But at least you get paid!

several of whom would score highly even on the St Andrews scale of individuality

Is that actually possible? I mean, there are some real "characters" around St Andrews, especially debates...

I'll see if I can pop into a debate before I leave. Any that you would particularly recommend? It'd be nice to see you all again."

I suppose that the up-and-coming programme of debates is:

Wed 4th Feb - "This House Prefers Development to Sustainability"

Wed 18th Feb - "This House Believes that Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend"

Wed 3rd Mar - "This House Would End Appeasement"

Fri 12th Mar - Marquess of Bute Final

Wed 17th Mar - Solatium

Take your pick, I suppose. Timing would dictate, and I'm not sure exactly who or what David has up his sleeve - I just sit on the bench and look pretty (or try).
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Donald Renouf on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:08 am

Prettier than before, with that earring of yours.
Donald Renouf

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:23 am

Mr. Renouf! I'm surprised at you. Get a room.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:46 pm

Grr, Whitmore used to say up-and-coming debates as well. It's upcoming, up and coming is a quite different thing.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Okocim on Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:17 pm

Is that actually possible? I mean, there are some real "characters" around St Andrews, especially debates...

Oh yes. It's the nature of the business I think. Any group of people who occupy themselves on a permanent basis with ensuring that a supermarket doesn't run out of baked beans, bananas, toothpaste or whatever, is bound to contain some oddballs. I count myself as one of them.

[hr]
"You mentioned my name as if i should recognise it, but beyond the obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a Freemason and an asthmatic, I know nothing whatever about you."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Norwood Builder"
Okocim

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:55 pm

[s]exnihilo wrote on 14:46, 30th Jan 2004:
Grr, Whitmore used to say up-and-coming debates as well. It's upcoming, up and coming is a quite different thing.

Mr. Whitmore said a great deal which was to be deprecated. And I think we can agree, Mr. Joss, that debates have not been "up-and-coming" for a long time.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue May 03, 2005 1:18 am

Ooh, looky what I found. The first few pages are quite amusing. I was wondering, however, whether the mooted history etc page of the website was going to appear in the new (and actually happening) version?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue May 03, 2005 9:31 am

OH MY GOD. THANKS TOBIAS (NOT) lol

Jeez. That thread brings back some memories..

Wish you'd just asked if there was going to be a traditions/alumni page (there is) rather than reminding me that

a) I used to get drunk every night during the week and post things on the debates board five times and have to delete them

b) My now significant other got hammered at a party when I was at the other side of town trying to stop Eliot Wilson and Donald Renouf starting a fight with some Neds outside the KFB. Hmm. I know exactly what happened to Pilmor Boy that night but had no desire to remember it...

c) I should dig those biogs written by Eliot out of my folder crammed with debates crap and pass them on to Bryn....

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue May 03, 2005 10:11 am

Mr Renouf and I could have taken those neds, easy.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Al on Tue May 03, 2005 8:17 pm

Mr Renouf went to the school of hard knocks. Well the sixth-form of hard knocks certainly.

And I know what I am about to say is not a quote but as a piece of information it is quite illuminating about Alistair Pugh. Consider the photo on Mr Oli Walker's website here http://www.oliwalker.co.uk/photo/anotherargyle/8.jpg and then marvel at the fact that Mr Pugh was convinced by myself and the then VPS that the gentleman featured was an ex-Tory MP fallen on hard times.

[hr]

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Previous

Return to Union Debating Society