Home

TheSinner.net

The Historical Debate

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

The Historical Debate

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:54 pm

Could someone elucidate the forthcoming Historical Debate for me? I understand the concept somewhat but I do have a few questions.
[l]
[li]Are the speakers going to be merely reciting the previous speeches, or are they going to be based on the material of the day?
[li]What should one wear to a debate such as this? I want to wear something indicative of the period. Is there anyone who would lend me such garments?
[/l]
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby rache1 on Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:10 pm

David can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the speakers are supposed to speak in the manner of the person they are portraying, but it their own words.

As for clothes that are appropriate, you could probably find an outfit at a charity shop for little money.
rache1

Re:

Postby Partizan on Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:34 pm

Yes, because the charity shops are just swimming in gently-used Nazi uniforms...
Partizan

Re:

Postby rache1 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:40 am

[s]Partizan wrote on 23:34, 27th Feb 2004:
Yes, because the charity shops are just swimming in gently-used Nazi uniforms...

Well, any twit can research historical clothing and find a gently used suit, and surely attach the swastika armband, if you so choose...
rache1

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:36 am

And more twits than you might imagine will.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:37 pm

I thought it was a debate about British appeasement? Surely black shirts would be more appropriate, if one wished to proclaim solidarity with that particular type of appeaser.
Anon.

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:07 pm

[s]rache1 wrote on 17:10, 26th Feb 2004:
David can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the speakers are supposed to speak in the manner of the person they are portraying, but it their own words.

Absolutely right. So hopefully the speakers will be able to research their opinions and base their speeches on the kind of things the real people would have said, but they'll be free to interpret things as they like.

[hr]
"And all the people rejoiced, and said: 'God save the King! Long live the King! ...May the King live forever!'" - Handel, 'Zadok the Priest'
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:59 am

Just thought I would write my congratulations to all of the speakers last night fo providing us with a excellant debate. Watcing it a a historian, it was clear that people had put a lot of work into their research, outfits, and in some cases their accents. Thanks to everyone for providing a humourous and entertaining debate. Also some praise must be reserved for the Convenor whose idea the event was. All in all, a top night.

[hr]In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest (III)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:37 pm

However, I was somewhat baffled by the presence of Mrs Moggins, and the reanimation of Winston Churchill, who having already made a tabled speech, then proceeded to make a floor speech as well..

[hr]The tories: bravely resisting change since 1841
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:51 pm

...and turned out to have invented a time machine.

...which doubtlessly came in useful later when David blasted us all back to the present to tell us that there had been no holocaust...
John Stewart

Re:

Postby rache1 on Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:05 pm

Exactly. No holocaust, no long war...

And whose side won? Oh, wait... the one with two females.

Moral of the story? Listen to women, and the world would be a better place. :P
rache1

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:07 pm

Absolute nonsense. The moral of the story is a good motion will aways get passed, no matter how many women are involved.
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:39 pm

David Bean: "There was no Holocaust."

An election slogan, perhaps?

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:59 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 16:39, 4th Mar 2004:
David Bean: "There was no Holocaust."

An election slogan, perhaps?

How delightfully impartial...
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:19 pm

My overdue congratulations though. It was a good and entertaining debate, and I certinaly felt I learnt a good deal about appeasement.

Also, well done to the ladies for the obvious effort they put into their dress for the evening. It certainly added to the atmosphere and interest for what is probably the most memorable LPH debate this year.
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Okocim on Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:07 pm

Oh it sounds like the evening was great fun. I had hoped that I might be able to come, but I was on late duty at work. Can somebody tell me who the speakers of the evening were and when, if ever, the minutes are to be posted on the web?

Thanks

[hr]"You mentioned my name as if I should recognise it, but beyond the obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a Freemason and an asthmatic, I know nothing whatever about you."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Norwood Builder"
Okocim

Re:

Postby Laura on Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:58 am

Peter Blair as Winston Churchill, Miranda Wiegler as a member of a Jewish organisation, Rachel Hasler as Eleanor Roosavelt, Michael Philips as Neville Chamberlain, Richard Watt as Lord Halifax and Jason Vit as Joseph Goebbels. I expect the minutes will be posted on the new web site after it's update in the coming debating year. Hope this helps!
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Okocim on Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:09 pm

[s]Laura wrote on 02:58, 5th Mar 2004: Hope this helps!

It does. Thanks.

[hr]
"You mentioned my name as if I should recognise it, but beyond the obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a Freemason and an asthmatic, I know nothing whatever about you."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Norwood Builder"
Okocim

Return to Union Debating Society