Home

TheSinner.net

Post Debates Drinks

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Post Debates Drinks

Postby S.L.G. on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:40 pm

Looking to the future (beginning with Thursday) - is there a general consensus on where we should all go for post debates drinks? I would say Drouthey's or the Central but both of those seem like they might be problematically small (and besides, the Central is so well lit. . .)

Your thoughts John? ;P

[hr]"You obviously prefer Nanny to me, so as far as I'm concerned, you can just go to hell"
Come see Baby With the Bathwater in May at the Crawford!
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:15 pm

There was a time (Hmm - a few of my sentences seem to start like that) when the Society would decamp to Aikman's after debates. Alas, much though I love Barbara and Malcolm, the proliferation of live music in Aikman's probably makes this impractical now. So let's think of the options.

The Byre - you have to stand, and they're utter bastards for withdrawing our discount deal.

Lafferty's - pleasant, but small, and with relatively few seats.

The Castle - a bit dingy, but spacious enough, friendly, handy for LPH, and it's not very far for our beloved Convenor to stagger home afterwards.

The Red Reiver - an amusing notion, but it's up for sale, so who knows what will happen to it?

The Central - monstrously busy of an evening, little seating, and a curious smell emanates from the lavatories.

The Gin House - gay bar gay bar. Need I say more?

The West Port - don't go there. Literally, or in an American teenager stylee.

Drouthy Neebors - a bit cramped if there are a lot of people, but perhaps workable.

The Whey Pat Tavern - we would blend in so well with the Ultimate Frisbee people and Dr Carson.

Aikman's - my favourite watering hole, but, as discussed above, prone to live music.

The Victoria - I think not.

Broons - hmmm, that, or perhaps I could boil my head in treacle.

The Crossed Keys - it'd be a larf.

Bridges - possible, possible. If it isn't too busy, it can be very pleasant. It is a bit of a hike, though.

The Tudor Inn - not quite our scene, I fear, though actually a pleasant pub.

The Russell Hotel - again, handy for Sallies, but a mite pricey, and I believe they close at eleven o'clock.

No. 1 Golf Place (McSorley's, The niblick, whatever) - again, a bit of a hike, and perhaps too cramped.

So it's up to you lot. Bridges perhaps has something to recommend it.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby M on Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:39 pm

I thought the Board decided we would go to the Westport after LPH?

After training we have moved around a bit. Central was good, but crowded.
Drouthy gets my vote, if it isn't too busy its best.

[hr]I'm S.T.L.in', are you?
M

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:03 am

The Board may well have done, but the West Port is a wanker-infested hellhole. No need for us to add to it.

Still, no skin off my nose. After all, I won't be here for much longer.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:10 am

In a town with close to twenty pubs, I never thought there would come a time when debaters couldn't find ONE that would fit our needs/image/mood.

Perhaps we need a new one? Buy the Red Reiver and rename it the Old Debater?
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:22 am

I think we should either go to Broons or the Westport. However, I have drinks sponsorships for both, so I suppose I am biased..
I just want somewhere where I can sit down, relax, and not get hassled by neds. Is that to much to ask?
Actually, may I recommend 1 Golf Place, which is rather nice now it has been redecorated. Some walk, but it would be nice for me, being so close to my flat.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:22 am

I think we should either go to Broons or the Westport. However, I have drinks sponsorships for both, so I suppose I am biased..
I just want somewhere where I can sit down, relax, and not get hassled by neds. Is that to much to ask?
Actually, may I recommend 1 Golf Place, which is rather nice now it has been redecorated. Some walk, but it would be nice for me, being so close to my flat.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:59 am

Droughty's is good by me. Enough space to get a seat, but not sanitised in glorious lavatory-esque aluminium (gin house stylee).

I suppose it's up to the others, though.
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:12 am

Some of your reasons seem bizarre Eliot, and some of them don't seem to have any explanation. For instance, what are your objections to The Vic and Broons? You simply say you don't like them. The Gin House is ghastly I know, but not tasteless enough to be a gay bar (where are the neon lights and rainbow flags?).

I think Drouthys would be fun. I should certainly go there more often. Although a friend of mine recommended never eating there, because he knew someone who used to work in the kitchen.

[hr]http://bryn.ipfox.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:21 am

Lafferty's has green benches, in a House of Commons stylee. Most agreeable.
And close to LPH.
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:23 am

Jamie I think you may be a bit biased on the subject of Lafferty's though heaven knows I have no idea why you've chosen to grant your patronage to such a place.

*Brief moment of not being able to remember which one is Tweedle-Dee and which one is Tweedle-Dum. Hmmm. If it's actually Richard I'm speaking to - well I think the comment still applies.*

Wherever we can, can we make sure we get a deal? For all you with intimate knowledge of the workings of the Board, who's in charge of that?

[hr]"You obviously prefer Nanny to me, so as far as I'm concerned, you can just go to hell"
Come see Baby With the Bathwater in May at the Crawford!
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:31 am

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 00:03, 23rd Mar 2004:
The Board may well have done, but the West Port is a wanker-infested hellhole. No need for us to add to it.

Still, no skin off my nose. After all, I won't be here for much longer.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

[hr]
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest (III)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:33 am

Whoever the new Steward may be, Miss Goodwin, will be in charge of such things. All the officers on the previous board have compiled sort of 'how to do the job' papers, so all that will be included in the Steward's. I think wherever we end up on Thursday night doesn't have to be the eventual destination of the society post debates, as it will take a bit of time to shop around for who will be the nicest to us in the nicest atmosphere for the least money, since the Byre have been total wankers.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:16 pm

Well, Mr Williams, if you want me to expound on the evils of Broons, I'm more than happy to do so.

1) The service is glacial, both in terms of speed and in terms of manner.

2) Of an evening, it becomes horrifically busy, and sweat begins to run down the windows.

3) It is criminally expensive; the amount they charge for a pint of cooking lager is on the very cusp between sale and rape.

4) A large proportion of the clientele is loathesome or from the IR Department (hmmm, draw a Venn diagram demonstrating the relationship between those two groups...).

5) It is set out in a split-level and booths stylee, which may not be conducive to our needs.

I shan't expound at such length on the Vic; suffice to say that there is a tendency towards karaoke, and they have bouncers. Bouncers. For God's sake, we're in St Andrews. Get a grip.

So I tend to frequent neither establishment if I can help it. Apart from a memorable Valentine's Day R'n'B night in the Vic a few years ago, but that was very much a one-off, if enormous fun, in a bump'n'grind stylee.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:16 pm

[s]S.L.G. wrote on 10:23, 23rd Mar 2004:
Jamie I think you may be a bit biased on the subject of Lafferty's

How so?
though heaven knows I have no idea why you've chosen to grant your patronage to such a place.
Two words: Cheap Carlsberg.

*Brief moment of not being able to remember which one is Tweedle-Dee and which one is Tweedle-Dum. Hmmm. If it's actually Richard I'm speaking to - well I think the comment still applies.*
[/i]

It is I-the one with the puppy who may or may not exist.
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:21 pm

[s]Alex Jennings wrote on 01:10, 23rd Mar 2004:
In a town with close to twenty pubs, I never thought there would come a time when debaters couldn't find ONE that would fit our needs/image/mood.

At my last count, Miss Jennings, it was rather more than twenty. Off the top of my head:

The New Inn
The Byre
The Castle
Lafferty's
The Gin House
The West Port
The Whey Pat
Droothy Neebors
Aikman's/The Cellar Bar
The Victoria
The Red Reiver
The Central
The Crossed Keys
Bridges/The Lizard Lounge
Broons
The Russell
The Stables
The Jigger
TP's
The Dunvegan
Playfair's
Chariot's
Ma Bell's
The Raisin
No. 1 Golf Place

And I may have forgotten some others.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Laura on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:38 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 12:16, 23rd Mar 2004:
enormous fun, in a bump'n'grind stylee.

Right. O.K. The world has officially gone mad. I suspected as much when I witnessed your audition for Stars in Their Eyes as Kylie Minogue post schools final (Join in everyone; "I'm, spinning aroooooouuund") But now you're bumping and grinding? Good God man.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:59 pm

I concur on Broons being shit.

I was there with the Miranda's and Lindsay on Saturday. M ordered chips, which did not arrive by the time they left. SO out of interest, I waited to see how long they were actually going to be.

They only arrived 20 minutes after I harassed one of the bar staff. And then only 1 bowl appeared, and not the 2 expected.

90minutes for a bowl of chips. Appalling. And they weren't particularly good chips either.

Now, last year after the AGM we decamped to the castle tavern, I think, taking advantage of its' proximity to the quad. It was a nice enough place - we could do so again. After all, there's no need to frequent one establishment in perpetutity, unless we're getting something out of it.
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:23 pm

[s]Laura wrote on 12:38, 23rd Mar 2004:
I suspected as much when I witnessed your audition for Stars in Their Eyes as Kylie Minogue post schools final (Join in everyone; "I'm, spinning aroooooouuund")

Errrr, I don't recall that. I think it might have been someone else.

[hr]

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:39 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 13:23, 23rd Mar 2004:
[s]Laura wrote on 12:38, 23rd Mar 2004:[i]
I suspected as much when I witnessed your audition for Stars in Their Eyes as Kylie Minogue post schools final (Join in everyone; "I'm, spinning aroooooouuund")

Errrr, I don't recall that. I think it might have been someone else. [/b][/i]

No, no, Mr Wilson, 'twas you.
Phoebe Stoves

Next

Return to Union Debating Society