Home

TheSinner.net

valedictory debate

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

valedictory debate

Postby KateBush on Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:10 am

can i speak at this even though I'm not graduating til next june? I won't be here in semester 2 of next year, as I finish in January.

And what do people think of the motion "this house believes meat is murder" or "this house would eat compassionately?"
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:11 pm

Silly motions.
I propose "This House would be genetically modified"

[hr]"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:12 pm

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 14:11, 17th Apr 2004:
Silly motions.
I propose "This House would be genetically modified"

[hr]"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung

constructive as ever, I see, Comedy.
[hr]
a red rose is not selfish because it wants to be red rose. It would be selfish if it wanted all the other flowers in the garden to be both red, and roses. -Oscar Wilde
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Nelson on Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:50 pm

Personally, I second that GM motion. Should get something a bit intelligent into the debate. :)

And I extend my apologies for not turning up to either training or the debate on Wednesday. It’s a distinct probability that no-one noticed anyway, but still…

[hr]"The Council, the Council can go to hell. And the emergency session can go to hell. And you, you can go to hell too. I wouldn't want you to feel left out!"
Nelson

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:56 pm

Don't worry, Alex, a few of us didn't make Wednesday's training, myself included.

[hr]
"And all the people rejoiced, and said: 'God save the King! Long live the King! ...May the King live forever!'" - Handel, 'Zadok the Priest'
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

“This House regrets the Necessity of Women

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:19 pm

Who came up with that inspired motion?
Unless there is someone stupid enough to argue that women should return to the Kitchen then the debate will manage the doubkle of being status quo and truistic. Or more likely, the chamber will see the return of captain super squirrel. Why not just have something that has some faint connection with people leaving the University, or University life, or in fact anything except a debate on Womens rights. Alternatively someone please tell me that Phoebe put this in as a big joke.

[hr]In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest (III)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:52 pm

Hmm, it is certaintly an interesting motion, and extremely open. But will it lead to a good debate?
Only time will tell.
However, it sets me up rather nicely for a completely nonsensical and floor speech.

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:37 pm

Not that it matters, Ewan, (as the motion has already been set), but what would you have like to see debated? I personally fail to see the point of listening to people extol the virtues of student life as it's really a non-issue but rather a stage in life. . .but perhaps there's a way to do that that I haven't thought of yet. Ideas?

I rather think listening to Kylie and Eliot talk about women's rights will be most amusing.

[hr]"You obviously prefer Nanny to me, so as far as I'm concerned, you can just go to hell"
Come see Baby With the Bathwater in May at the Crawford!
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:01 pm

"This House Would Graduate"

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:16 pm

Valedictory debate on Wednesday 28th April. The motion:

"This House Regrets the Necessity of Women"

Contact Peter if you wish to Speak. should be fun!!!
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:28 pm

The dual reason for my anger is that a.) I have sat through three debates on womes rights this year, and all three have given me as much pleasure as having red hot needles inserted through my eyes. The issue degenerates rapidly into pay scales, maternity leave, and career vs family, I just find it tedious. b.) As I said, unless there is a ridiculous 1st prop it will inevitably be squirrelled, which is fine for me but not everyone is able to respond to open motions.

I would have thought that there are plenty of issues that are more relevant, and debateable than this, for example there hasn't been a LPH debate on the future of the BBC, Smoking in Public places, or even risk bein topical and address the EU constitution. They are all more relvant, and more debateable than this, and can be easily done as closed motions, removing the risk of squirrels.
Not that I care, I have far too many jokes and stories to let the motion get in the way.

[hr]In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest (III)
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:38 pm

This isn't really about women's rights, to be fair. Necessity means what they are absolutely necessary for. The only thing i can think of is having babies. If you regret that, then you regret the continuation of the human race, which is just silly. So, you see, it isn't about women, but mankind.

I personally think that the motion Peter tricked me with when he called should be the one we run with: "The House Believes that Femanists can suck my c!*k", but Peter got scared of what images i might put on the posters....

Of course there are things that women do that are nice, pleasant and useful, for example, washing, cleaning, choosing men's clothes, sucking c!*k, but these things are not necessity. The debate should be good. I look foreward to see hwta the arguements areon both sides....
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:50 pm

Well perhaps you could make a floor speech about it or introduce an adjournment debate on what you wanted to speak about. Then you'd get to speak on a different subject and maybe the whole night won't be a waste. But please don't be angry - that's no good.

[hr]"You obviously prefer Nanny to me, so as far as I'm concerned, you can just go to hell"
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Stuart on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:10 pm

[s]Phoebe Stoves wrote on 20:38, 20th Apr 2004:

I personally think that the motion Peter tricked me with when he called should be the one we run with: "The House Beliebes that Women can suck my c!*k",

It's a recurring theme today isn't it Miss Stoves?
Stuart

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:42 pm

This is perhaps why it should be a lot easier for the student body to suggest and vote on motions.

[hr]Come and see "Baby with the Bathwater" - http://baby.tz4.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:09 pm

[s]S.L.G. wrote on 20:50, 20th Apr 2004:
Well perhaps you could make a floor speech about it or introduce an adjournment debate on what you wanted to speak about. Then you'd get to speak on a different subject and maybe the whole night won't be a waste. But please don't be angry - that's no good.

Oh, Laurence, you miss so much.
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:11 pm

But in the end there would still only be one motion which not everyone could possibly agree with. I understand that some people may find the debate potentially lethally boring - if that's the case, you can choose not to come (although I would tend to say that your presence would be missed). I think debates in LPH are generally fun no matter what the topic, but I understand how people could disagree and, not that I advocate people not coming, but it is a choice and if you think there's something you'd rather be doing on Wed. than do that. It's not some sort of competition as to who comes to the most debates. . .

You'd have to speak to Peter about the actual motions as I have nothing to do with them, nor do I know what they are for next year. I'm sure he'd be quite open to suggestions.

Edited with hesitation to ask: What'd I miss? I thought that was the point of the extra debate beforehand. . .I was just trying to be helpful.

S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:44 pm

EDIT: Beware, ladies and gents, the effects of gin. They can cause all kind of problems.
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Bryn on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:10 pm

[s]S.L.G. wrote on 23:11, 20th Apr 2004:
But in the end there would still only be one motion which not everyone could possibly agree with.

Granted, but at surely there is less of a chance of so many people disagreeing with the motion if they've had a say in what it was going to be? No offence to Peter, but I think if the society is going to become more of a service to the students in line with Mermaids and the Music Fund, we need to be letting the students decide the motions that they want to see debated. We should invite students and societies to open meetings where they can come to use for funding and advice as to how they could organise a debate. These could be planned well in advance, it's not like theatre or music events are brought to the relevant commitees saying "I want to do this next week."

You'd have to speak to Peter about the actual motions as I have nothing to do with them, nor do I know what they are for next year. I'm sure he'd be quite open to suggestions.

I'm sure he is open to suggestions, but the decision is still up to him, isn't it? I'm not sure that's the way it should be. The president of Mermaids doesn't decide what shows are going to be put on during the year.
[hr]
Come and see "Baby with the Bathwater" - http://baby.tz4.com
Bryn

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:32 pm

If you came to an Ents committee meeting, you'd be surprised "Can we use Venue 1 all week for a play?" the week before..
Mr Comedy

Next

Return to Union Debating Society