Home

TheSinner.net

And now, the end is near.....

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Indecency

Postby Laura on Mon May 24, 2004 5:07 pm

[s]Phoebe Stoves wrote on 17:50, 24th May 2004:
-The gentlemen trying to hoist the ladies in their dresses back over the Cathederal wall, while maintaining their decency.

God, that was hilarious. It's not easy to forget the Father of the House hoisting you over the Cathedral wall via an electrical box- poor Eliot... I don't think he anticipated us being so heavy and also drunk.

Trying to think of other indecent moments...

The Communications Secretary and the Chief Whip 'having fun' at the bop.

The Clerk to the House, Miss Alex Jennings ; ) you know what I'm referring to, young lady.

Jason stumbling into my room at some un godly hour with a bottle of wine in each hand and pronouncing 'Ladies, may I present Mr. Nick Bibby'

That Maidens dinner, with that former steward and the current Championship Secretary......

tee hee. Sorry guys.

[hr]
"The English language is an arsenal of weapons. If you are going to brandish them about without checking to see whether or not they are loaded, you must expect them to explode in your face from time to time." (Stephen Fry in 'The Liar')
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Laura on Mon May 24, 2004 5:11 pm

[s]John Stewart wrote on 18:04, 24th May 2004:

Tobias Joss passing out on David's shoulder in the Valedictory.

And the illness that followed as the poor DoR elect had to help him to the mens room.....

[hr]
"The English language is an arsenal of weapons. If you are going to brandish them about without checking to see whether or not they are loaded, you must expect them to explode in your face from time to time." (Stephen Fry in 'The Liar')
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Indecent behaviour? I'll give you indecent behaviour...

Postby Alex Jennings on Mon May 24, 2004 6:28 pm

Jason and Nick Bibby on the bus back from Dundee IV. I'm still emotionally scarred.

Phoebe vomitting into two and a half pint glasses.

Darshan bringing that toy gun to a debate and using it in his floor speech.

John getting Miranda W's personal life minuted in a board meeting.

Laura and, um, partner in front of Madras College at the Balaka after-party. (I was drunk, but I wasn't that drunk...)

John, Ewan, and Reinhard sharing all about their love lives in the car back from Leeds...oh the things I wish I never learned...

And a few more quotations:

JOHN: "Alex, I'm sorry, but that's just TRAGIC."

ALEX: "People think I'm Jewish, too. I wonder why."
RALPH: "The hair. It's the hair."

That guy from Durham: "If the squirrel's case is debatable, debate it."

[Jon Roberts signals the end of seven minutes.]
TOBIAS: "I can go longer than seven minutes, I assure you."
NICK BIBBY: "That's not what it says in the gents..."
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Oh God No......

Postby Laura on Mon May 24, 2004 6:33 pm

EDITED- Due to homoeroticism of a supposedly girl on girl nature being mistakenly hinted at....I was not frolicking on the Madras lawn with the Clerk to the House.

BTW- Lost;
One leather bow from a shoe
One pearl earing

If found please return to the debates treasurer on lkw2......
Laura

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 24, 2004 6:38 pm

Well, it's nice to be remembered for something - not necessarily what I would hope to be remembered for, but still...

I blame a) Wilson for plying me with alcohol before debates and b) Stagecoach for making the journey over so truly awful as to need so much alcohol.

And, Bean, sorry for singing Havah Nagilah at you!

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Fashion memories

Postby Alex Jennings on Mon May 24, 2004 6:49 pm

Phoebe and her gravity-defying...um...baps.

Jon's untied bow tie (will he ever learn to tie it himself?)

Jules' and Potton's top hats.

Covino's gown (that's for you, Laura).

Miranda W's "dangerous dress."

Miranda B's dress from Durham (I didn't mean it to be offensive when I said it looked like you'd been mugged...mugged in a good way...)

John's rumoured "pulling kilt" - when will we be able to see it?

My lovely combination of blue silk dress, baggy hoodie, and red trainers.

Vinton's Union Jack swimming trunks.

And how would this be complete without a mention of Preston, his Nantucket Red Shorts, White Trainers, and Hawaiian Shirt? (TROUSERS!!!)
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Anon. on Mon May 24, 2004 7:08 pm

About the only notable thing I remember is stealing the Convenor's gown and falling asleep on it outside the Library, and the stresses of trying to find it again the next day.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 24, 2004 7:39 pm

The cathedral exploits in the rain were something else, it's true...

I remember very little from the past year, truth be told. Hard to say if one should blame advancing age or alcohol.

The election of our current Convenor was nice, though.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon May 24, 2004 7:40 pm

And Mr Martin's and my rendition of "Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?" in the Balaka after almost everyone else had gone was moving.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon May 24, 2004 11:22 pm

[s]exnihilo wrote on 19:38, 24th May 2004:
And, Bean, sorry for singing Havah Nagilah at you!

Don't worry - that was rather fun :)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Miranda B on Tue May 25, 2004 1:35 pm

[s]John Stewart wrote on 18:04, 24th May 2004:

The hour we sat in the plane in Dublin before Take-off 'cos some muppet going to Birmingham decided to board the Edinburgh plane?

Personally, I was more entertained by the weird guy waking you up and accusing you of being English.

If looks could kill...

I think my personal favourite memory has to be walking past a building site in an evening dress and academic gown at 9 in the morning, on my way home from Kizzy's.
Miranda B

Re:

Postby Miranda B on Thu May 27, 2004 7:06 am

I can't believe no one's mentioned fluffy liberal bunnies yet!

Am I the only person finding FLB pictures all over my room?
Miranda B

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Thu May 27, 2004 1:26 pm

[s]Laura wrote on 18:11, 24th May 2004:
[s]John Stewart wrote on 18:04, 24th May 2004:[i]

Tobias Joss passing out on David's shoulder in the Valedictory.

And the illness that followed as the poor DoR elect had to help him to the mens room.....

[/i]

I'm afraid you're getting your facts wrong again. Typical bloody Tory. IMAGE:www.thesinner.net/littleicons/wink.gif

It was one of your colleagues who helped him to the men's room. I was just asked to check that he hadn't passed out in there.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu May 27, 2004 1:42 pm

Was not Mr Potton the ministering angel in that particular instance?

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dee on Thu May 27, 2004 6:12 pm

Yes, 'twas I...although what happened next, I know not.
Methinks that is probably for the best.
"If it can't be cured with either bacon fat or vinegar, it's not worth curing"
Tweedle-Dee

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu May 27, 2004 10:55 pm

I imagine, knowing you both, that there was a degree of subsequent drinkage. In fact, I know there was.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri May 28, 2004 12:01 am

I'm going to broaden the scope of this thread. Humour me, I'm old and I'm leaving.

Memories of the Debating Society (in no particular order):

My first IV with Miss Weigler - "The Palestinians don't know what they want, they're like children - they need Big Brother Israel to tell them".

Mr Pugh, as a judge for the Durham Union Society, afterwards - "You know you've lost, don't you?"

My first floor speech - "You can deep-fry a Mars Bar, but not a Twix - they explode. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is science."

My year as Deputy Convenor - my dearest Elizabeth, it was a blast.

The Senate Room. Oh, those were the days...

Mr Magnus Jardine-Brown - ever reliable, ever funny, ever Magnus.

Mr Tom Plant - what were you on? But it wouldn't have been the same without you.

All 10 Convenors - whether you were good or bad, you had to be there. And you know who you are.

The parties. Oh, the parties. We owe a debt here to you, Mr Schama: good flat, good parties.

To alcohol. It has made the past eight years a great deal of fun.

And finally, my greatest friends in the Debating Society (and in general), without whom it would all have been soulless hell - (in alphabetical order) Messrs Joss and Murray. How we laughed. How we cried. But it was good. It was all good.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri May 28, 2004 12:04 am

A disclaimer: there are many whom I could have mentioned, but I'd be here all night. I think everyone knows who he or she is.

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Ewan MacDonald on Fri May 28, 2004 11:41 am

While I suppose I should put down a long list of memories and thank you's in preparation for my oncoming graduation, even though I am not going very far (dundee)

My maiden speech in LPH, it was crap, I got confused and flustered, but it was special. My ambition for the year was to speak once in LPH so it was really nice to do it.

Mr Vit. Whether carrying me (almost physically, I had been ill for 5 days and had had 2 hours sleep and no food) to the final at Bogwall, entertaining us with his many speeches in LPH, training, or after dinner; or yes even in those drunken pub crawls he has helped make this a top year, and is really a nice guy, despite the pictures.

The inter-residence final, it had serious debating, humour, and a quality debate, its what LPH should be.

Miranda W, who with John Stewart has taught me how to debate, and just been generally cool all year, its been awesome. Plus I loved the look on your face when that guy at Aberdeen asked if you gave sexual favours for good judgeing results, priceless!

The rest of the IV squad, just at training, IV's, or inevitably in the pub. Particular mentions go to Alex, Miranda Bradley, Reinhard, and Jason and Miranda W for speaking with me this year, its been briliant, and I have had such a good time.

Wow this is long.

Muchos gracias to Kizzy and Lauren for all the entertaining schools moments of the year, particularly the Ross Cup. Also for getting me into schools debating, and therefore helping me find employment.

Finally to everyone else in the society who I have forgotten to mention (this was just getting too long) you have brightened my year, and your all great. Hope to see lots of you next year as I become an irritating hack who won't leave.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
Edmund Burke
Ewan MacDonald

Re:

Postby KateBush on Fri May 28, 2004 1:55 pm

Shouting at Dr Parry at the literary debate "On a point of information- are you on drugs?"

And also taking the pis out of my beloved at the Valedictory. You don't know how satisfying it was to get a joke in there about phoning/ET!!!

And last night--well, what can I say? The most vivid memory for me just now is of me and Miranda B lying on the grass giggling having realised we couldn't walk any more but just had to lie lolling in the sunshine. And of course, being on the phone to Miranda's mum, then cuting Ewan off while he was speaking to her! (sorry Miranda, sorry to your mum, and sorry Ewan). I'm sure other memories will occur as my brain begins to restore its usual function!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

PreviousNext

Return to Union Debating Society