Home

TheSinner.net

And now, the end is near.....

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

And now, the end is near.....

Postby Laura on Sun May 23, 2004 5:14 pm

Things are changing, people are moving on and it's the end of the year.....

So here is a forum for sharing the love of this years best memories in debates-
please post your favourite events, quotations,and general craziness so we can all relive the moments...awwwwwwwww

----------------------------------------

I'll start us off with one of my own personal favourites from our Chief Whip, Mr. John Stewart....

"I never remember my family's birthdays-I just post cards randomly throughout the year and write 'don't open until the special day' on the back."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 pm

From our dear Madam Treasurer as she was educating me on the art of being a girl:

"I want to think like Winston Churchill but look like Marilyn Monroe."
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sun May 23, 2004 10:02 pm

Well, I have to say it has been an absolutely remarkable year, and when I think back to that first training session, having no idea who or what was about to arrive, I can honestly say that for better or worse, you're all a remarkable bunch of people.

So, in an uncharacteristically emotional public outburst, I have to post a message of appreciation to the real force behind the IV squad this year - Miranda Weigler.

She's been more than a speaking partner to me - she's been a best mate, mediator and mentor.

Mother to the IV squad. A sterling IV coach. And probably the only person who can put up with me when I'm stressed. Miranda's been my counterbalance, and she'll be missed by all in the IV squad next year, most especially me.

OK, sob story over.

Favourite memory (or not, 'cos I don't remember it) is Cork IV, trying to pimp off Miranda B and Rachel. Also, the TCD anti-British conspiracy. Carting a bunch of helium baloons about Dundee IV. Miranda B nearly falling off the balcony during the Oxford final. Becoming part of the first St Andrews team in 15 years to break at an International tournament.

Favourite quote - there's a few.

Phoebe - "is it politically incorrect to call them paupers?"

Miranda W - "You got Rachel drunk? You're SO her father, whether you want to be or not."

Lindsay - "I found myself some alternative crash".

Alex Deane - "Justin Timberlake was put on this earth to pleasure me".

Rachel - "Lindsay - I'm looking at your face but it's, like, really hard to focus".

Jason - "Hello Captain squirell".

Darshan - "But my economist won a nobel prize, so I'm right".

Miranda W - "Good evening children. The word of the day is Wank".

And finally, at the Durham IV...

Miranda W - "John. Are you sure you want to be in the final. This is like a serious tournament."

As for next year - bring it on, bitch!
John Stewart

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sun May 23, 2004 10:04 pm

Oh, and actually, from that training debate...Rachel's infamous "lesbians popping out children" quote, although I can't remember the actual wording.
John Stewart

Re:

Postby someone on Sun May 23, 2004 10:32 pm

Mr. Covino singing the opening line of "Que Sera, Sera."

[hr]disco inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby Laura on Sun May 23, 2004 11:14 pm

And if he'll let me take the piss one last time...our Father of the House, Mr. Eliot Wilson-

"I'm, spinning around, move out of my way...I know you're feeling me because you like it like this."

I hope you're all seeing the dance in your heads- Wilson Stylee (him, not me)
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Sun May 23, 2004 11:24 pm

Jon Roberts reading the minutes in the style of Alex S at the Third World debate - and Eliot's consequential point of information.
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby lem4 on Mon May 24, 2004 9:37 am

[s]John Stewart wrote on 23:04, 23rd May 2004:
Oh, and actually, from that training debate...Rachel's infamous "lesbians popping out children" quote, although I can't remember the actual wording.

THAT WAS ME!

Jesus... I'm glad my speeches are so memorable. And the actual wording was "And somehow those lesbians manage to pop them babies out..."

I'm not feelin' the love...

[hr]
"There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."
"There is, you'll agree, a certain [i:jzcwav8n]je ne sais quoi[/i:jzcwav8n] oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."
lem4

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Mon May 24, 2004 10:02 am

Wow. good thread! there have been loads of great moments this year!

-All of Eliot's Floor Speeches- very very funny.

-Laura's chicken run in the Cathederal.

-Colin's poem at the pre-sech debate.

-Jason's Nazi official impersinations.

-Me almost keeling over at the despatch box to do exceptional wankeredness while doing my speech For Petey's inaugral.

-Lindsay's amazing pre and post debate parties.

-Petey's MASSIVE beard.

There are so may more.......
Phoebe Stoves

More dancing I forgot to mention

Postby Laura on Mon May 24, 2004 10:51 am

Preston's interpretive dance of the political situation of the debating society. Living it up in a box.

The former Treasurer's boy-band stylee routines made up to the sounds of German pop on my New Hall TV.

Jason and Xander's 'Build me up, buttercup' moves.

Me and Covino in the bop.

Watching in horror as the rest of the debates crew do the Macarena in a big line in Venue 1.

Sorry Eliot....have to shame you again...skipping round your living room with your own rendition of 'Where do you go to my lovely' While Stoves, Mr. Pugh, Miss. Flackett and I drank your flat mate's wine...
Laura

Re:

Postby lem4 on Mon May 24, 2004 11:34 am

Hmms... favourite memories...

Miranda B: Is Lindsay going to be ok in that train car all alone?
John: Miranda, we're in Ireland. She's a kid in a fucking candy shop.
(On the train from Dublin to Cork)

-Us girls putting makeup on Jason and Ewan in the December pissup

-Doing the May dip with the debates crew
(even though unfortunate events did occur!)

John: I won't leave my guinness

Rachel: That boy's cute! Wait, is that only because I'm drunk?

-The water bottles!

[hr]
"There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."
"There is, you'll agree, a certain [i:jzcwav8n]je ne sais quoi[/i:jzcwav8n] oh so very special about a firm, young carrot."
lem4

Re:

Postby Laura on Mon May 24, 2004 12:00 pm

[s]lem4 wrote on 12:34, 24th May 2004:
-Doing the May dip with the debates crew
(even though unfortunate events did occur!)

That ruled.

-The water bottles!

Rock.
Laura

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Mon May 24, 2004 12:19 pm

A few more...

- The look on Miranda W's face after drinking the red&blue aftershock combi in the Central on the rainbow crawl.

- Lindsay tripping over the road-paint in the middle of South street.

- Jason & Rachel running away from teh Israeli stalker at Euros.

- "If the squirrel's case is debatable" - Alex's picture which I still have in my drawer.

- Walking into my room at Euros. That was memorable!

- The Ancients' Final first-prop case. Oh baby.

- Grinding with Rachel in the bop before Christmas.

- Phoebe and Nick playing with a rampant rabbit in the middle of the North Haugh.
John Stewart

Re:

Postby lem4 on Mon May 24, 2004 12:48 pm

[s]John Stewart wrote on 13:19, 24th May 2004:

- Lindsay tripping over the road-paint in the middle of South street.

IT WAS RAISED CEMENT! PAINT DOESN'T GO THAT HIGH!

Good lord... first John attributes one of my best lines to Rachel, and then falsifies accounts of embarrassing Lindsay moment.

Seriously, I cry on the inside. *sniff*

Next time someone brings up a memory about me, can it at least be something I'd LIKE to remember?

[hr]
lem4

Re:

Postby rache1 on Mon May 24, 2004 1:50 pm

Ok, just for Lindsay, more to come later...

Setting: Train station in Dublin
Lindsay has just bought a bottle of Apple Tango

Rachel: Hey, Lindsay. I've never tried Apple Tango. What does it taste like, besides appley?
Lindsay: I dunno...appley?

Hehe, thanks for the in-depth description, Lindsay :P

**edited because the darn italics got the best of me...**
rache1

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Mon May 24, 2004 1:50 pm

Not sure you want to remember this, Lindsay, but...

"Aww, man! Someone pissed on my sofa!" and the consequential "NO INCONTINENT HO'S ALLOWED IN THIS FLAT THANK YOU XXX" sign.
Alex Jennings

The Legend Moments

Postby Laura on Mon May 24, 2004 2:09 pm

There's just so many....

The totally cool weekend Nick Bibby stayed at New Hall- the man knows how to have a good time...it so rocked- especially going to Church in the morning and Nick getting a pint of Stella for breakfast.

Bruni Flackett and me working out evil plans to find Eliot's alcohol after The Courier.

Giving Alistair Pugh lots and lots and lots of gin- and just generally gossiping the weekend away. We must have had ten cups of tea in the Vic.

Peter Murray- with that bow tie, in that bed, at that party.

Eliot convening the post Parliamentary cloister races and declaring "Yes, Madam Serjeant does indeed run like a chicken..."

Ralph. Just Ralph. He's made my entire year.
Laura

Re:

Postby rache1 on Mon May 24, 2004 2:57 pm

Here are the first things that came to mind, I am sure I will think of more later...

*Debates bakesale and the weekend of baking mania...

*Shouting 'SPEED CAMERA' as we passed each one on the way back from the Leeds IV

*Laura being confused as how to exit the chamber from the Board benches-
'Well, I never had to do it before!!'

*Sending Phoebe off to drive Mr Rouf's car so we could enjoy more free pakora and wine

*John sleeping through the Cork final, and Lindsay and Miranda B laughing at me because I was actually paying attention

*Miranda W, Ewan and I drinking in the back row during the Gondaliers

More to come...
rache1

Re:

Postby Phoebe Stoves on Mon May 24, 2004 4:50 pm

oooo, some more.......

- First time i spoke to Mr. Stewart properly when he didn't leave my room until 7 o'clock the following morning.

-The way the entire Board of Ten have crammed the bop every Friday night of late.

-John Roberts great dance moves to Elton John at the pub debate he spoke in.

-Miranda W getting rather excitable over the anticipation of partaking in some illegal narcotics.

-Rachel being later to EVERYTHING than everyone else......especially when she has the booze now! Hehehe!!!

-The gentlemen trying to hoist the ladies in their dresses back over the Cathederal wall, while maintaining their decency.

I'll be back later with some more.....
Phoebe Stoves

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Mon May 24, 2004 5:04 pm

Anyone remember the rather fragrant car trip to Leeds?

The hour we sat in the plane in Dublin before Take-off 'cos some muppet going to Birmingham decided to board the Edinburgh plane?

Tobias Joss passing out on David's shoulder in the Valedictory.

Robin Harper's POI to me - "I never said any of that!"

The freshers debate will always be synonymous with the concept of "scrotum meets 6-inch nail."
John Stewart

Next

Return to Union Debating Society