Home

TheSinner.net

First LPH debate?

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

First LPH debate?

Postby someone on Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:12 pm

When is the first debate of the year? Like, the date?

[hr]

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:53 pm

Now, correct me if I'm wrong (Oh, like I need to tell people that on this board), but I believe that we were planning on having the first debate to be an American-related motion on Sunday, the 19th of September, followed by the official Fresher's debate on Wednesday, the 22nd of September. That was the plan as of the end of last term.

Motions are "THW Recolonise America" (for the American debate, though that might change) and "THW Leave Before Breakfast" (for the Fresher's debate).
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:11 pm

That sounds about right. I believe - quelle surprise - that I'm speaking in the Freshers' Debate.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:24 am

You realise that a debate on "THW leave before breakfast", would give me a perfect opportunity to make a floor speech entirely about tea..
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby someone on Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:49 pm

[s]Alex Jennings wrote on 14:53, 21st Jul 2004:
Now, correct me if I'm wrong (Oh, like I need to tell people that on this board),

Quahog?

but I believe that we were planning on having the first debate to be an American-related motion on Sunday, the 19th of September, followed by the official Fresher's debate on Wednesday, the 22nd of September. That was the plan as of the end of last term.

Crap. Now I need to move my flight to Scotland forward...
someone

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:16 pm

And, apparently, it will be featuring such other luminaries as m'good self. I will, however, be sober* for this one.

* -ish

[hr]The world is full of stupid people. I say we get rid of all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:36 pm

[s]exnihilo wrote on 21:16, 22nd Jul 2004:
And, apparently, it will be featuring such other luminaries

Go on, then, name the other luminaries that'll round out the line-up. Don't keep us in suspense.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:10 pm

[s]Alex Jennings wrote on 14:53, 21st Jul 2004:
but I believe that we were planning on having the first debate to be an American-related motion on Sunday, the 19th of September, followed by the official Fresher's debate on Wednesday, the 22nd of September. That

the 19th! and there was me thinking that the semester dodn't start until the 27th!

Re:

Postby someone on Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:33 am

[s]exnihilo wrote on 21:16, 22nd Jul 2004:
And, apparently, it will be featuring such other luminaries as m'good self. I will, however, be sober* for this one.

* -ish

Bull shit. There is no way I can let myself be the drunkest person at that event.

[hr]

Disco Inferno.
someone

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:03 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 20:21, 21st Jul 2004:

the 19th! and there was me thinking that the semester dodn't start until the 27th!

I think you'll find that freshers week begins on Saturday 18th, and that classes then begin on Monday 27th. However, it is customary to have debates on the weekend prior to freshers week (formerly the overseas debate. Quite what they're going to call it now, I'll be intrigued to find out) and then a midweek debate (the freshers, or pre-sessional, debate) aimed generally (but not specifically or exclusively) at new, incoming students to allow them an opportunity to meet the society, and find out about debates.

Hope that helps.
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:17 pm

[s]someone wrote on 06:33, 24th Jul 2004:

Bull shit. There is no way I can let myself be the drunkest person at that event.

You won't be. I'm coming.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

I'm here!

Postby Director of Services on Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:09 pm

Please confirm for me, guys.
The 19th and the 22nd, both 7:30 for 8:00 starts in LPH?
I need to know for the Orientation program.

Thanks,
Bonnie
Director of Services

Re:

Postby S.L.G. on Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:45 am

[s]Director of Services wrote on 23:09, 28th Jul 2004:
Please confirm for me, guys.
The 19th and the 22nd, both 7:30 for 8:00 starts in LPH?
I need to know for the Orientation program.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Hey Bonnie - you might want to ask Peter - he's in town right now - pab8 - or he should be floating around (I'll tell him to stop by the Union when I speak to him tomorrow)
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:31 pm

Bonnie should know that peter doesn't use the sinner. that's how we get away with the insults.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby someone on Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Bad news.

Flight's on the 25th.

Can't change it unless I can provide documentation of a family medical emergency of tragedy.

Given that neither of those things have happened and I do not wish to be found guilty of fraud/false statement, I will (unfortunately) be missing both the overseas debate and the Freshers' Debate.

*SOB!*

[hr]

Disco Depression.
someone

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:01 pm

[s]someone wrote on 22:56, 7th Aug 2004:
Bad news.

Flight's on the 25th.

Can't change it unless I can provide documentation of a family medical emergency of tragedy.

Given that neither of those things have happened and I do not wish to be found guilty of fraud/false statement, I will (unfortunately) be missing both the overseas debate and the Freshers' Debate.

*SOB!*

Buggar that, you miss most of Fresher's week. I'd swim, though last time I was in the north sea it was bloody cold (though Potton was wearing tails, so the laughing kept me warm.)

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:17 pm

Yes, I remember it well.
Although Potton had to be encouraged to swim by Magnus.

[hr]"My hour for tea is half-past five, and my buttered toast waits for nobody."
-Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Laura on Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:33 pm

[s]someone wrote on 22:56, 7th Aug 2004:
Bad news.

Flight's on the 25th.

*SOB!*

Fucking hell. Are you trying to make my life difficult. Will e-mail you when I get my head together- I'm having a blonde week.
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:08 pm

[s]Laura wrote on 15:33, 8th Aug 2004:
[s]someone wrote on 22:56, 7th Aug 2004:[i]
Bad news.

Flight's on the 25th.

*SOB!*

Fucking hell. Are you trying to make my life difficult. Will e-mail you when I get my head together- I'm having a blonde week.
[/i]

I'm having a blonde life. Or maybe just a drunken one where I get everyone I meet to dread my sight. On that point, I need more alcohol, I haven't had any since this morning.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:14 pm

And the next LPH debate is, of course, tomorrow evening (Wednesday). I trust I shall see all of you there (and thousands more, natch).

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Eliot Wilson

Next

Return to Union Debating Society