Home

TheSinner.net

Fresher

Your opportunity to discuss goings on in the Debating Society, recent debates or any issues you believe are important. Questions or queries can be addressed to the moderator at debates@st-andrews.ac.uk.

Fresher

Postby dave on Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:44 pm

Hi im arriving as a fresher this september. Im the chairman of a 100 year old debating society (hehe i like saying that)at my college and have competed a\t many national competitions. I'm wondering what kind of debating takes place, and also whether i should bother carrying on as i dont want to build up my work load especially in first year. Any advice would be well received......cheers!
dave

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:09 pm

Workload in first year???

Debating - we generally do British Parliamentary Debating, but there is plenty of scope within/around that for other things.

Get involved, it isn't onerous and it's a lot of fun. Hell, I'm coming back from Glasgow for it.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:51 pm

Give it a go. If you hate it, well, you've only wasted your time, and, as a first-year, that is a commodity in which you are not lacking. But you might like it. I did. Thousands have.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:40 am

I'll do a brief run-through, but I am sure that other people will append this heavily.
The Union Debating Society offers a broad scope for people interested in debating.

The 'flagship' events are the debates in Lower Parliament Hall, which are attended by many people. They often feature famous (or infamous) speakers, and then the debate is opened to the floor, and anyone can speak. There is a prize of a bottle of wine, port or something similar (sadly invisible towards the end of last semester) on offer for that judged to be the best.
You may even be invited to make a speech from the table.

Then there is the comprehensive Inter-Varsity (IV) squad training and competitions, which offers a broad range of training for competitive debating.
It also offers training for other forms of speaking, and judging.
We compete in everything from IVs to Europeans to Worlds.

The Society also organises a number of internal competitions, including the Maiden Speakers (simply for people who haven't made a tabled speech in Lower Parliment Hall), the inter-residence, and the Balaka Individual Speakers, which is open to the best speakers in the UK.

Then there is Schools Debating, which is a totally different kettle of fish. Miss Russell will elucidate this, but as I understand it, the society has a range of Schools competitions, which need judges and helpers, and all sorts of help. There are rumours of food-based incentives for those who regularly help out.

We have two debates in Freshers Week, one on the Sunday night (THW recolonise America), and the Freshers Debate (THW leave before breakfast).
Both promise to be great fun.
You can do as little or as much as you like, but as a first year i wouldn't worry too much about your work commitments getting in the way.

[hr]“If a man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.” Ancient Japanese Proverb
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby puzzled on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:36 pm

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 13:40, 14th Sep 2004:
We have two debates in Freshers Week, one on the Sunday night (THW recolonise America

Is this on the first sunday of freshers' week or the last sunday?
puzzled

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:03 pm

[s]puzzled wrote on 17:36, 14th Sep 2004:
Is this on the first sunday of freshers' week or the last sunday?

This coming Sunday, apparently. Really ought to find out which side of the damned thing I'm meant to be on...
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby someone on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:01 am

[s]Unregisted User dave wrote on 22:27, 3rd Sep 2004:
Hi im arriving as a fresher this september. Im the chairman of a 100 year old debating society (hehe i like saying that)

I like this kid already.

[hr]

Disco Inferno.
(Association Chair.)
someone

Re:

Postby John Stewart on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:03 pm

Out of interest, if you're still reading this, which 100 yr old debating society?
John Stewart

Re:

Postby Jos Dad on Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:20 am

[s]Unregisted User dave wrote on 22:27, 3rd Sep 2004:
Hi im arriving as a fresher this september. Im the chairman of a 100 year old debating society (hehe i like saying that)

btw the Union Debating Society is 210years old, rumour has it that the father of the house was a founding member
Jos Dad

Return to Union Debating Society