Home

TheSinner.net

Sports centre charges - can anything be done?

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Sports centre charges - can anything be done?

Postby C on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:47 pm

I was reading the Athletic Union/Department of Sport and Exercise Annual Report 2001-2002, and I found the following quotes:

"every student is automatically a member free of charge, we are one of the very few universities who still believe and take action to ensure that free access to physical activity should be the right of any matriculated student"

and

"it is the Department's policy to maximise the opportunity of any student to participate in exercise free of charge, in the belief that physical activity makes a significant contribution to health and well-being"

Now that exercise is not free of charge, do the department now believe that physical activity doesn't make a significant contribution to our health and well-being?

Is there anything that can be done to stop the escalation of charges? I don't agree with their dual charging policy whereby you also have to pay for individual classes as well as already having paid for a membership. I think we should have to pay for one or the other like all other normal sports centre; either paying for membership and getting free classes and access to facilities, or they allow is automatic free membership (as they said a few years ago in this report) and then charge us only for the facilities we use. I don't like having to pay to join a sports club as part of the AU, and then pay again just to be allowed to practise with the club that I have already paid to join.

Is there absolutely anything that students can do?
C

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)