Home

TheSinner.net

Athletics Worlds!

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Athletics Worlds!

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:21 pm

They start tomorrow... anyone want to predict any winners?

As a start- Maria Mutola in the women's 800m is looking unbeatable this year. It is an obvious one, but I'd say she will retain her title.

[hr][s]When they knock on your front door, how're you gonna come? With your hands on your head- or on the trigger of your gun?
[/s]
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby John on Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:19 pm

Guevara for the Women's 400m, maybe Duane for the 100m. Don't think the Brits have many medal hopes though
John

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:57 pm

[s]Unregisted User John wrote on 13:18, 24th Aug 2003:
Guevara for the Women's 400m, maybe Duane for the 100m. Don't think the Brits have many medal hopes though

Guevara is looking liekly to win.

Dwain got nothing, but a great run from Campbell, and he's a better 200m runner! Good chance of a medal there. Kelly Holmes may do alright... relays should be good.

[hr]
[s]When they knock on your front door, how're you gonna come? With your hands on your head- or on the trigger of your gun?
[/s]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Mario on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:36 pm

.....great run by Mutola, but was she carrying Kelly Holmes home? No matter we need all the medals we can get. What are we at 2!!!!
Mario

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:18 pm

Yup- only two. But the 4 x 100m men's relay should be good- the American team are dropping like flies.

If only they get the baton round...

On the 800m- teamwork has been a part of distance running for years now- look at the Ethiopians in the 1000m! But Kelly Holmes always does well in championships, whether she has Mutola to help her or not. I saw a feature on her training- she was having an epidural, plus injections in her calves and thighs just to train. Anyone tough enough to do that deserves a medal.

[hr][s]When they knock on your front door, how're you gonna come? With your hands on your head- or on the trigger of your gun?
[/s]
LeopardSkinQueen

4x100m

Postby Vix on Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:27 am

The americans should win 4x100m mens and womens but we should medla in 4x100 if we dont drop the baton.
Did you not think it was disgraceful that we could not manage to muster 4 women to run in the 4x100 when countries like the ivory coast managed. It shows the sad state of British sprinting, even if we could only send 4 inexperienced runners they would still gain valuable practise and experience of competing in front of a big crowd before next yeras olympics oh cares if we come last, I would rather see us represented than hiding in the wings!
Vix

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:56 pm

For small nations like the Ivory Coast, there is often special allowance made so that they can have representatives at the competition, even if they do not have the qualifying standard. These allowances are not made for larger nations such as the UK. Yes, it would have been great if we had a team, but sadly it was not to be. And we got a few unexpected medals- Hayley Tullet in the 1500m, for example. And the men's 4x100m should have beaten what was the weakest American team in quite some time.

[/s]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Guided By Vices on Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:26 pm

One thing about the athletics coverage that I always particularly enjoy is the rollocking 70s style theme tune. Not quite as great as the Superstars tune but still, I'm quite pleased the BBC hasn't bothered to replace it with some poppy modern nonsense. What we need is epic, rousing orchestral stuff and no messin. I just wish Channel 4 could bring back the old BBC 'calypso' cricket theme instead of using Lou bloody Bega.

There was one rather curious musical moment that the BBC came up with when they decided to back a feature on the controversial steeplechase with Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division. Fairly jawdropping I thought.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the mighty Michael Johnson in the last few days. He returned at the end after having gone missing for two days. I wondered if he'd grown weary of having to comment on what he seemed to regard (perhaps reasonably enough under the circumstances) as loser British athletes. Hey I reckon we're sure to do better at the Olympics though :)
Guided By Vices

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)