Home

TheSinner.net

Gym-ing it....large

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Gym-ing it....large

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:45 pm

I think the sports facilities are pretty poor as it is, and if you use the gym on a regular absis it becomes a very expensive little venture. I reckon the gym staff do a good job but surely the prices could be lowered, even with blocks of tickets, its still pretty pricey for a reugluar gym user!
Am i alone in thinking this, or what???

Re:

Postby C on Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:50 am

You are completerly alone in thinking this.
The gym here is dead cheap. Back home in London, I have to pay £75 a month membership and any classes I want to join like aerobics would be an extra £4 on top and on a weekly basis that is VERY expensive.
Count yourself lucky and make the most of what you got.
C

Re:

Postby zedsdead on Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:25 am

errr. .. actually, you're not "completely alone in thinking this", and i think it's a ridiculous notion to compare London with St andrews. If the facilites were a bit better, then i think alot of people would agree that the price is a good one.
For a start there is not enough room to accommodate everyone who wants to go to the gym.
The equipment serves its purpose , but it's all different makes and set-ups. There is no swimming pool, which in itself is a bit of a crime.
I think it's good that the sports centre takes in local residents and puts on classes etc. but you have to wonder why the facilites haven't been expanded/improved if it is such a popular place. By allowing youth groups etc in to the centre surely the university gets some kind of grant from the local council, as well as the revenue from all the students and other users.
rather than drop the price, why not just try and improve the range and standard of equipment, then no one can complain.
i'm sure i'll get a well-informed,and most likely aggressive reply, but this is my opinion!
and.........i'm spent!
zedsdead

Re:

Postby Sam Crooks on Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:34 pm

Totally agree that the facilities need to be a lot better, from the showers to the sports hall that houses about a million sports and is out of use during exam time.
The problem is thus, the PE Dept (that's who runs the sports centre) is not allowed to keep any 'profits' it makes from the use of the sports centre. It automatically goes to the University.
Since the PE Dept. does not keep its revenue, it tends to keep costs low and not make much of an operating surplus. Perhaps this is why the facilities are so bad and the equipment is of differing standard. The department has to beg for money if and when it sees a need. Thus there is no strategy and no real forward planning as it can only buy equipment on a need basis.
The issue is that the University does not recieve money from the government for sport, hence it is unwilling to put money into sport.
So what can the department do - increase user charges - in the hope that the University gives it some of the money back to build much needed facilities? We need to start convincing the hierachy of the University of the importance of investing heavily in sport and sporting facilities, at which time we might get some guarantees for sporting facilities (by that I mean something in writing rather than yes we build you a swimming pool and then nothing comes of it).
This University is a business and it will invest more heavily in academic buildings, than sport as it will get greater returns from research money and tuition, than it will from user charges at a swimming pool or a sports hall.
Sam Crooks

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:10 pm

does anyone know if the west sands leaisure center has a gym? i know they have a pool ...

how much do they charge for gym/pool use?

Re:

Postby jobby on Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:51 am

yeah they do have a gym but in order to get a decent price you have to get a fife- card (local council thingy).
its miles away tho innit, i guess that depends where you live though!!!
think it works out about same as uni, expet you gotta pay 10 quid for innitial course, 6 + half a dozen
jobby

Athletics Facilities

Postby Chris Dobson on Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:20 am

If we get a sports arena build is there much chance of calling it the DieselBowl? What about the Diesel swimming pool? And is there much chance of re-naming the sports pitches to the Diesel Army Memorial Football Fields?
Chris Dobson

Gym at East Sands

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:57 am

The gym at East Sands is a much better option if you want cheap, modern, quiet, well maintained, friendly facilities! I agree that the Uni sports facilities are "basic" (and that's me being polite!) - we must be the only Uni in Scotland without a swimming pool. With the health of young people being such an issue in the UK, surely some kind of funding should be available to assist us in avoiding couch-potato-fried-marsbar-alcoholicsville! It costs £3.50 for a student gym induction at East Sands. You then get a Fife Card, which costs £5 and lasts a year, which gets you into the gym for £1.50 and the pool for £1.30. And if you're trying to get fit, surely a brisk walk there and back is a good thing?!

Or hey, maybe KFB could sponsor some sports facilities to make good the damage they cause to our arteries every bop-night!

Or we could do what Manchester did and put in a bid for the Commonwealth Games - they are the biggest Uni in the country and their sports centres were absolutely shite until they got the games - then hey presto, loadsamoney! Commonwealth Games in St A's - what a thought. They could use the halls as the athletes accommodation and cram all the students in 3-to-a-room - oh, except they've done that already!

Re:

Postby fudge on Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:50 pm

I agree. Cant the university get lottery funding or something as the gym is very basic. In a society with a growing obesity problem, shouldn't this be a priority?
fudge

Re:

Postby LC on Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:30 am

I dont think its very basic, i think in terms of training for weight loss or strength it has everything the vast majority of st Andrews students/locals could need. Anyone who claims they wouldn't be so obese if only the gym had more varied equipment is kidding themselves.
The only problem I see is overcrowding, the gym is very popular and gets pretty full near peak times. In terms of what there is, I think its fine.
I pay about £29 pound i think for a cards for 40 visits. Thats excellent value imo.
LC

Re:

Postby gym bunny on Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:14 am

Hmmmm ... when I was abroad, I paid the equivalent of forty pounds for the whole year, and that included fantastic facilities ... then again, the uni was a lot bigger. I think, as has already been said, the real problem is the size. If you go at peak times, it's incredibly cramped, but i don't know how this could be solved without expanding. ?
gym bunny

Re:

Postby Poindexter on Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:51 am

I have to pay £3.75 a pop in a crappy gym that doesnt have a bar, a pullup station or a dumbell heavier than 25kg in the middle of Emmerdale when I'm at home, so a quid a go seems pretty good to me...
Poindexter

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)