Home

TheSinner.net

The Golf Society

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

The Golf Society

Postby 97hills on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:07 pm

Is anyone else here a member of the Golf Society? Does anyone know if they actually plan to do anything this year? I've been to one meeting, realised how pointless they were for me, as all they talk about is the teams for the forthcoming weeks and a couple of little bits of news. They said they would email these little bits of news to all members of the golf society (I went to this meeting at least 2 months ago) but i still have not received a thing! Anyone know what they're doing!?
97hills

Re:

Postby golfer on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:03 am

I have to agree with you. I am member of the golf society as well and there is really no point in going to the meetings. The hole society is not very well organised and not fair to members who dont participate in teams.
As you said, all they talk about at the meetings are the team fixtures. But even if you are a team player, you wouldnt need to go as they would contact you anyway. Talking about the teams, i think it is kind of ridiculous how they are set up. There is not a single first year in the first team. Maybe they dont have the experince on st. andrews links courses but still it looks like you have to work you way through talking and to the right people and getting friends with them, it seems like the teams are picked on friendship rather than performance.

Dont know if it was 10 or 20 pounds i had to pay in the beginning but i feel that there was absolutely no point in joining, being a non-team player. All they have done so far is starting a very badly organised winter foursome. Maybe it is not so easy to do things during the winter, so i strongly hope that this will get better next semester. Where are the facilities for less well playing people, just to give an example like cheap teaching by professionals or trips to the wonderful golf courses around scotland???

St. Andrews University is the best university for playing golf with 106 pounds annually for playing on all six courses, but the golf club is not what i expected considering we are at "the home of golf".

Receiving the information via e-mail will probably stay a dream forever.

Greetings to every golf player
golfer

Re:

Postby 97hills on Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:59 pm

[s]Unregisted User golfer wrote on 17:38, 10th Dec 2003:
I have to agree with you. I am member of the golf society as well and there is really no point in going to the meetings. The hole society is not very well organised and not fair to members who dont participate in teams.
As you said, all they talk about at the meetings are the team fixtures. But even if you are a team player, you wouldnt need to go as they would contact you anyway. Talking about the teams, i think it is kind of ridiculous how they are set up. There is not a single first year in the first team. Maybe they dont have the experince on st. andrews links courses but still it looks like you have to work you way through talking and to the right people and getting friends with them, it seems like the teams are picked on friendship rather than performance.

Dont know if it was 10 or 20 pounds i had to pay in the beginning but i feel that there was absolutely no point in joining, being a non-team player. All they have done so far is starting a very badly organised winter foursome. Maybe it is not so easy to do things during the winter, so i strongly hope that this will get better next semester. Where are the facilities for less well playing people, just to give an example like cheap teaching by professionals or trips to the wonderful golf courses around scotland???

St. Andrews University is the best university for playing golf with 106 pounds annually for playing on all six courses, but the golf club is not what i expected considering we are at "the home of golf".

Receiving the information via e-mail will probably stay a dream forever.

Greetings to every golf player

Spot on! I have also noticed that teams seem to be picked on how well you know the captain or other team members. They need to get it sorted...hopefully by next semester. I am not going to pay the £25 for nothing!
97hills

Re:

Postby 97hills on Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:11 pm

is anyone else a member of the society?? Or have any views on it?
97hills

Re:

Postby Sir Tufton Bufton on Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:11 pm

[s]Unregisted User golfer wrote on 18:38, 10th Dec 2003:....The hole society is not very well organised...

Was that meant as a pun?
Sir Tufton Bufton

Re:

Postby jakob on Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:58 pm

I seriously planned to join that society - just to save some money.

Now, when will you have the opportunity to play? Can you play without being in a team?
jakob

Re:

Postby rodney on Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:36 am

I payed £20 last year and all they did was exactly the same. It isn't how good you are-it's who you know. Don't bother playing for the team-play amongst yourselves like we do!!!
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
rodney

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:20 pm

I take it you're talking about the men's golf society, coz I joined the women's society and I think they're really good. They go out of their way to email all the info to everyone and the teams work with everyone with a handicap on some sort of rotation. Maybe the men's society should consider some sort of system like that?

Re:

Postby rodney on Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:18 pm

yes we are talking about the mens golf society-works for the ladies because ladies are more considerate!
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
rodney

Re:

Postby 39weeks on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Any updates on mens in the past 3 years? I'm a 13 handicap so doubt I'd make any teams, but would love to play in a league of some sort.
39weeks

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)