Home

TheSinner.net

Beginners sport?

Whether it is Sunday league, university or professional sport you are interested in, this is the message board for you. We want your questions, comments, and views.

Beginners sport?

Postby Chain Mailer on Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:43 pm

Hey! I'm totally lazy and unfit but would really like to get into shape. Unfotunatly am worried that if I start a sport I'll burst a major blood vessel or my heart will keel over from the shock! Which sports are really good to start off, one you can kind've do at ur own pace to begin with so its not too big a shock to the system.
Thanx!

[hr]Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby mossop on Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:46 am

[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 16:43, 2nd Mar 2004:
Which sports are really good to start off, one you can kind've do at ur own pace to begin with so its not too big a shock to the system.

Hey! There's a recreational football session on at the astroturf pitch on wednesdays at 5pm which is open to people of all fitness levels and skill levels. You can take it at your own pace and there's no pressure on you to be fit/good. I'd recommend it!

[hr]
http://www.geocities.com/mossop_2002

Drunken photos, and not so drunken photos
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:58 pm

If you can swim, swimming is generally seen as a great total body workout and you can burn alot of calories by swimming. Swimming Club has three sessions a week where two lanes are reserved for recreational swimmers, so you wont burst a blood vessel unless you really really push yourself too hard...theres training guides to give you some ideas as to what to do too, but its very sociable and laid back! See www.st-and.ac.uk/~swim for more details
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Morf on Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:13 pm

Shinty - WEdnesday/Sat 2 - 5 on Shinty Pitch. Castle Tavern 5.15pm - late.
Morf

Re:

Postby C. on Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:22 pm

boxing is good and gets you in shape quickly. its skipping, punch bags and circut training, so most of that stuff you can do sort of at your own pace. its on in the AU fridays 7-9pm and sundays 11-1.
C.

Re:

Postby Chain Mailer on Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:03 pm

[s]C. wrote on 19:22, 19th Mar 2004:
boxing is good and gets you in shape quickly. its skipping, punch bags and circut training, so most of that stuff you can do sort of at your own pace. its on in the AU fridays 7-9pm and sundays 11-1.

Is it for girls as well? And is there any point in a total novice and unfit girly starting now? Would it be better if I started next year? It sounds quite fun but I dont wanna totally embarass myself :)

[hr]
Most definitly maybe
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:02 am

judo is worth a look

almost everyone starts from scratch here
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Return to Sport (Athletic Union)