Home

TheSinner.net

How to start a play?

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

How to start a play?

Postby actress on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:03 pm

How do you get to direct a play/musical?
Can you do it as long as you have funding, or do you need to be in the mermaids/permission etc?
actress

Re:

Postby Canandrew on Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm not entirely sure of the specifics, but I believe you just have to go to a Mermaids meeting and say you want to put on a play, and they should be able to help you from there. I'm not sure if you need some sort of plan before going to see Mermaids. You might try e-mailing them to find out. I think the website is www.mermaids.me.uk, but I'm not sure - it's on the sinner guide about Mermaids though if you check that.

Also, I suppose you don't have to go through mermaids - a few shows this year didn't, like Death and the Maiden, but the funding they provide sure helps. All in all I think it's just a matter of incentive.
Canandrew

Re:

Postby Han on Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:38 pm

Hey

I'm about to direct a musical this semester and produced the freshers' play last year. There are several ways of putting on a show and depending on the type of show it depends on where you get the money from.

First of all, pick a show. When you're researching it you need to have a think about where you'd like to put it on, audience capacity, creative ideas etc - in order to create a budget (even if it's only a provisional one). Your budget should include costume, props, set, lighting, sound, rights, printing, publicity and any other costs. Your venue should be covered by ticket sales (assuming you intend to charge for entry).

Once you've decided what you want to do you need to get funding. Mermaids can provide some or all of your budget depending on the nature of the project and how much money is involved. The freshers' play was funded entirely by Mermaids, but other shows have applied only for access to Mermaids materials (e.g. make up) rather than money. Other places to go for money include the Anthony Tudor fund, local businesses and anywhere else you could think of for sponsorship. It helps to have a producer who can concentrate on this for you.

Then you need to get auditions and rehearsals going - rooms are available in the union, and a few other university buildings but you need to book these in advance. If you are affiliated with Mermaids you get more free rooms in the union...I forget exactly how much...

The point is (which I'm trying to make, in my long-winded way) that Mermaids does not command, authorise or govern theatre in St Andrews. Working with them can make life a lot easier in terms of funding, facilities and access to expertise and guidance (since everyone on the Mermaids committee has experience in theatre both onstage and behind the scenes). But the driving force has to be you as a director/producer to bring forward an idea. In order to get funding you have to persuade people that it is worthwhile investing in your show but if you have the will, there is always a way!

Best of luck! Sorry about the length...
H

Quoting actress from 17:42, 24th Apr 2005
Can you do it as long as you have funding, or do you need to be in the mermaids/permission etc?
Han

Re:

Postby Midget on Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:30 pm

Starting a play is easy its the last week before the performance thats the bastard.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Come an see 'Corpus Christi' 4-29 August, Edinburgh Fringe!
Midget

Re:

Postby Han on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:18 pm

LOL so true

Quoting Midget from 22:30, 29th Jun 2005
Starting a play is easy its the last week before the performance thats the bastard.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Come an see 'Corpus Christi' 4-29 August, Edinburgh Fringe!
Han

Re:

Postby kat on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Are you the person directing Into the Woods? I heard that for the audition you want people to act out a fairytale. Do you mean do a monologue or just some improv type stuff? Also, should the songs be a capella, with a tape, or will you have a pianist? Thanks!

Quoting Han from 22:38, 26th Jun 2005
Hey

I'm about to direct a musical this semester and produced the freshers' play last year. There are several ways of putting on a show and depending on the type of show it depends on where you get the money from.

First of all, pick a show. When you're researching it you need to have a think about where you'd like to put it on, audience capacity, creative ideas etc - in order to create a budget (even if it's only a provisional one). Your budget should include costume, props, set, lighting, sound, rights, printing, publicity and any other costs. Your venue should be covered by ticket sales (assuming you intend to charge for entry).

Once you've decided what you want to do you need to get funding. Mermaids can provide some or all of your budget depending on the nature of the project and how much money is involved. The freshers' play was funded entirely by Mermaids, but other shows have applied only for access to Mermaids materials (e.g. make up) rather than money. Other places to go for money include the Anthony Tudor fund, local businesses and anywhere else you could think of for sponsorship. It helps to have a producer who can concentrate on this for you.

Then you need to get auditions and rehearsals going - rooms are available in the union, and a few other university buildings but you need to book these in advance. If you are affiliated with Mermaids you get more free rooms in the union...I forget exactly how much...

The point is (which I'm trying to make, in my long-winded way) that Mermaids does not command, authorise or govern theatre in St Andrews. Working with them can make life a lot easier in terms of funding, facilities and access to expertise and guidance (since everyone on the Mermaids committee has experience in theatre both onstage and behind the scenes). But the driving force has to be you as a director/producer to bring forward an idea. In order to get funding you have to persuade people that it is worthwhile investing in your show but if you have the will, there is always a way!

Best of luck! Sorry about the length...
H

Quoting actress from 17:42, 24th Apr 2005
kat

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)