Home

TheSinner.net

Theatre Study Abroad Question

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

Theatre Study Abroad Question

Postby Miriam on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:37 am

I am considering studying at the University of St. Andrews for Spring Semester 2004. I am an interdisciplinary major in Theatre, Philosophy and English and while I am aware that there is no theatre department at St. Andrews I am very excited by the possibility of participating in the student run Theatre organization. I am an actor so I was wondering if, studying in the spring semester, I would miss auditions or generally speaking, what acting options or part availabilities there are for an American single semester study abroad student. Can you guys offer any advice?
Thanks,
Miriam
Miriam

Re:

Postby Ben Spiers on Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:52 am

Auditions happen throughout the year, as we have over 40 productions going on annually. Keep an eye on the noticeboard on the Union top floor, or e-mail mermaids@st-and.ac.uk to get signed up to the weekly e-mail.
Ben Spiers

yes, theatre at St. Andrews

Postby Hap on Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:16 pm

I too will be coming over next year, but I will be plaguing (hopefully) the dramatics scene for the next four years. What kind (specifically) of productions are put on every year. Does St. Andrew's the town have a rep. theatre group of its own that works out of Byre? How easy is it to get involved-with regard to St. A's and the town? Sorry to ask so many silly questions, but I am curious and BenSpiers seems to be the go-to-guy for all things theatre.:-)
Hap

theatre at st a's

Postby Ben Spiers on Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:23 pm

What kind (specifically) of productions are put on every year.

2 musicals, 1 Gilbert and Sullivan, 1 pantomime, 1 dance show, 30 - 40 plays, 10 - 15 playreadings, 8 one-act plays, etc. etc.

Does St. Andrew's the town have a rep. theatre group of its own that works out of Byre?

Yes, the St Andrews Play Club [check Byre Theatre website for details - www.byretheatre.com] and they are happy to have students onstage or backstage.

How easy is it to get involved-with regard to St. A's and the town?

Incredibly easy - sign up with Mermaids [it's free] at Societies Fayre, or join one of the many performing arts societies. For town groups, try contacting the Byre, as they host most productions, be it town opera, G&S, PlayClub or others.

See you at Societies Fayre! Good luck!

[hr]
www.yourunion.net
Ben Spiers

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)