Home

TheSinner.net

Costume Closet

For the discussion, promotion and review of any and all theatre in St Andrews - student, amateur or professional. Mermaids (the University's theatre funding body) would like to hear any suggestions or criticism you may have about how to improve drama and the performing arts in student life.

Costume Closet

Postby S.L.G. on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:18 pm

Went there today and I must say - goodness me it is impressive! I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, just in that it is so theatrical, the way it's hidden away, up several flights of stairs and behind a boiler -
Does anyone know the history of said closet?
S.L.G.

Re:

Postby Ben Spiers on Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:02 pm

This is one version that I read in the Mermaids files:

Many years ago, it served as a storage room for music stands (some of which remain to this day) and scores.

Then it became the archive for publicity for Younger Hall events. Legend has it that there is a signed Pink Floyd poster in there somewhere...

Health and Safety legislation meant that the large stocks of paper were deemed a fire risk, especially since it's right next to the main heating pipes.

In the early 80s, it was given over to one of the many theatre groups (maybe G&S) as a costume store. When Mermaids went bankrupt in 1997, they took ownership, and now it serves as the main Costume Cupboard, overseen by Mermaids, the Theatre Fund.

Dull, but you did ask... :-)

[hr]
www.yourunion.net
Ben Spiers

Return to Performing Arts (Mermaids)