Home

TheSinner.net

PhD v MPhil

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

PhD v MPhil

Postby Rilla on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:05 am

I've got funding for an MPhil, which I hope to finish in afew months (preferably by christmas). I've got an offer of a PhD here, but without funding, so it would take me a long time to do - probably working in the dept part-time to help fund it. What would you advise? Are Phd's worth all the time they take? Obviously, the question is whether or not I want an academic career. The answer is .... I'm not sure. Do people regret signing up for a PhD? or wish to turn their masters into one?

[hr]Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby romantic on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:11 am

[s]Rilla wrote on 13:05, 13th Oct 2004:
I've got funding for an MPhil, which I hope to finish in afew months (preferably by christmas). I've got an offer of a PhD here, but without funding, so it would take me a long time to do - probably working in the dept part-time to help fund it. What would you advise? Are Phd's worth all the time they take? Obviously, the question is whether or not I want an academic career. The answer is .... I'm not sure. Do people regret signing up for a PhD? or wish to turn their masters into one?

My advice would be don't do a PhD unless you are 100% sure that you want to do it. It is extremely hard work - and very very time consuming. You also have to be incrdibly self motivated, as you'll be working on your own for much of the time, of course there is always your supervisor for support, but things will quickly reach the point where you know more about a particular subject than your supervisor, making it tough to make further progress.

Not sure that this really answers your original question - but hope it helps anyway. Only do a PhD if you really love your subject.
romantic

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:32 am

[s]Rilla wrote on 13:05, 13th Oct 2004:
Do people regret signing up for a PhD? or wish to turn their masters into one?

I regret starting mine the way I did, i.e. announcing right after my M.Litt. year that I was going to stay on for the Ph.D., being accepted and then starting work. If I'd taken a year out to really hammer out a coherent thesis topic / plan of research, I'm positive I could have been in and out of here in the 3 years which are recommended.

So that's my advice - to avoid lots of stops and starts and fruitless avenues of inquiry, make sure that you know that you're going to get your 80,000 words' worth out of your proposed research project.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:29 am

The other point to bear in mind is that an academic career these days won't get off the ground without a PhD. It really is a sine qua non in the job market now, for better or worse.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby McK on Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:12 am

My experience of going straight from Mlitt to PhD has been positive, although it's difficult to do enough teaching to fund yourself and concentrate on your research. I'd give it some more thought.
McK

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:04 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I have decided to stay and do a PhD (part-time) here after all. With lots of lovely advice from my supervisor. And all of you. So it looks like I'll be hanging around abit longer.

[hr]
Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Return to Postgraduates